Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default which characters and concepts have yet to be adapted into anything?

So I've been thinking about how Netflix is doing that Sandman show based off the Neil Gaiman stories, we live in a time where very little of dc's library hasn't been branched out into other media. Those Sandman books were pretty high up there on what characters and concepts haven't been used in a movie, a cartoon, tv show, etc. So I'm curious who's still being "left out."
    there's the Jack Knight starman who tends to be amalgamated with Styvester Pepperton, I think that's due to rights, I don't think Duke Thomas is in anything yet or Max Mercury.
    feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and they were in something i missed like one of those lego games or dcu online or something.

Knightfall has never really been adapted.

Hitman. DC should do it, maybe as an animation on HBO Max, some hyper violent version of Cheers, with Noonan's as the point where all Tommy and the boys meet.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Dial H for Hero has potential.

I hate being this guy, but I gotta say Mister Terrific (and a lot of characters in the Arrowverse) because whoever that was on Arrow was so far removed from who the character is that's not the same guy despite the name and the suit.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I hate being this guy, but I gotta say Mister Terrific (and a lot of characters in the Arrowverse) because whoever that was on Arrow was so far removed from who the character is that's not the same guy despite the name and the suit.
    Mr. Terrific was on Justice League Unlimited.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Gero4568 View Post
    Mr. Terrific was on Justice League Unlimited.
    he was? did he have a speaking role? I don't remember him being there.regardless we've ever seen Mister Terrific properly adapted, animated cameos usually can't tackle his full character (dead wife, atheism, Multiverse, etc)

but, while my point about the arrowverse still stands, I'll throw out Brother Power the Geek; I think Doctor Mist and Bloodwynd haven't been adapted either. I don't think they've explored the Red all that implicitly or thoroughly in any medium, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-12-2020 at 11:58 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

he was? did he have a speaking role? I don't remember him being there.regardless we've ever seen Mister Terrific properly adapted, animated cameos usually can't tackle his full character (dead wife, atheism, Multiverse, etc)

but, while my point about the arrowverse still stands, I'll throw out Brother Power the Geek; I think Doctor Mist and Bloodwynd haven't been adapted either. I don't think they've explored the Red all that implicitly or thoroughly in any medium, but I could be wrong.
    He took over the Watchtower mission control after J'onn retired post-Cadmus. From memory, I remember him speaking in the Luthor/Flash mind switch episode. He got more of an active role on JL: Fatal Five movie though. That said, I'm all for him getting a bigger role in another adaptation.

Story arcs:

Saga of the Swamp Thing
    Books of Magic
    Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War
    Blackest Night
    Birds of Prey: Sensei and Student (or basically anything from Dixon to Simone's run hasn't been adapted at all or done right)
    Dr. Fate by Martin Pasco and Walt Simonson
    Sandman: Mystery Theater

Characters/Teams:

Nightshade/Eve Eden (she's has an interesting backstory, she showed up in one of the Sup/Bat DTV's but that was basically a cameo)
    Lucifer (the David Bowie one not the one on the tv show)
    Phantom Stranger (a few cameos and guest appearances but nothing to really make him stand out)
    Zatanna Zatara (a few guest appearances but no starring role)
    JSA: Appeared a few but most people still don't recognize them
    Starman/Jack Knight: Never been adapted at all.
    Jessica Cruz: Adapted only once so far.
    Simon Baz: Not adapted at all.
    Wonder Woman enemies: Silver Swan, Veronica Cale, has yet to see the light of adaptation.

Concepts:

-The two Black Canaries. Canary as a legacy has only ever been done justice in the comics. Only Batman: Brave and the Bold really tried adapting the passing of the mantle from mom to daughter.
    -Kyle Rayner as the primary GL on JL. This has only been done in the Morrison/Waid/Kelly era of the JL.
    -Wally West graduating from Kid Flash to Flash and going from Teen Titans to a full fledged Justice League member.
    -Superman/Batman: Generations. The first one by Byrne was really good. I really want to see this as an animated mini series one day.
    -Barbara Gordon as Oracle. Done once on 'The Batman' and later in Young Justice S3 but not sure how many are watching that.

Extraordinary Member

Quite right. Which was sad, because comic relief/incompetent fool Mr. Terrific is vastly inferior to the pre flashpoint Holt, who was awesome.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Knightfall has never really been adapted.
    I would argue that it was to a small degree in Dark Knight Rises.

I know he was on the JLU in a quite big role, but I really want to see The Question from Dennis O'Neil adapt to a True Detective style series.

Extraordinary Member

Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain: technically they have all been adapted, but the adaptation had either no resemblance to the comics, or were just side or Background characters

All Star Squadron or Young All Stars: the concept of DC Super Heros in WWII has also never really made it into adaptations in other media

Extraordinary Member

Well, there is Power Girl. Yes, she was in a single animated movie, but she wasn't anything other than a plot device, and a minor one at that, and she was voiced by....

Alan Scott and Simon Baz I think are the only GLs who haven’t either been adapted or had a notable role in adaptations.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Story arcs:

Saga of the Swamp Thing
    Books of Magic
    Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War
    Blackest Night
    Birds of Prey: Sensei and Student (or basically anything from Dixon to Simone's run hasn't been adapted at all or done right)
    Dr. Fate by Martin Pasco and Walt Simonson
    Sandman: Mystery Theater

Characters/Teams:

Nightshade/Eve Eden (she's has an interesting backstory, she showed up in one of the Sup/Bat DTV's but that was basically a cameo)
    Lucifer (the David Bowie one not the one on the tv show)
    Phantom Stranger (a few cameos and guest appearances but nothing to really make him stand out)
    Zatanna Zatara (a few guest appearances but no starring role)
    JSA: Appeared a few but most people still don't recognize them
    Starman/Jack Knight: Never been adapted at all.
    Jessica Cruz: Adapted only once so far.
    Simon Baz: Not adapted at all.
    Wonder Woman enemies: Silver Swan, Veronica Cale, has yet to see the light of adaptation.

Concepts:

-The two Black Canaries. Canary as a legacy has only ever been done justice in the comics. Only Batman: Brave and the Bold really tried adapting the passing of the mantle from mom to daughter.
    -Kyle Rayner as the primary GL on JL. This has only been done in the Morrison/Waid/Kelly era of the JL.
    -Wally West graduating from Kid Flash to Flash and going from Teen Titans to a full fledged Justice League member.
    -Superman/Batman: Generations. The first one by Byrne was really good. I really want to see this as an animated mini series one day.
    -Barbara Gordon as Oracle. Done once on 'The Batman' and later in Young Justice S3 but not sure how many are watching that.
    Swan and Cale were both in Bloodlines.