Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think I am more into Endless Winter than I am into Metal or Future State.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To fully understand it you need to go read up on 5G and what that was planned to be. When 5G was cancelled after Didio left, DC had to scramble to find a way to fill time until a “real” initiative could be put together. So we’re getting Endless Winter and then Future State until March where we will hopefully start getting the new long term creators on the books.
    This is dumb. Not your answer, but the idea.

You don't need an "initiative." The initiative should just be "put out good comics." They don't need to tie into some event or line-wide story. Just put good creative teams on titles and let them go at it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

You don't need an "initiative." The initiative should just be "put out good comics." They don't need to tie into some event or line-wide story. Just put good creative teams on titles and let them go at it.
    I don't know about quality, but probably that's exactly what's gonna happen. The initiative was 5G, an idea that really would change everything in DC. This initiative is officially dead, Lee made this clear. Now they are unlikely to radically change anything, just in March there will be a fresh start with new creative teams, with the exception of only Tynion on Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

Unfortunately, that's not enough.

Good creatives team on titles don't guarantee good sales, especially since the direct market is so small now.

So, DC needs its events o initiatives to boost sales for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not enough.

Good creatives team on titles don't guarantee good sales, especially since the direct market is so small now.

So, DC needs its events o initiatives to boost sales for a while.
    Except historically each event and initiative sells less than the one before it. Same with relaunches.

It's an investment. Put good creative teams on the books and if the end product is good enough, more people will start buying it. It's sacrificing the long term for the short.

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

Stringing near the entire line of comics along into some "event" or whatever is a convention of superhero comics that's got to go. I was hoping we'd see less of that with DiDio gone, since it's something that got way carried away under his tenure, but DC seems to be keeping them coming.

About putting out good comics, that is a big part of the answer, and while I do believe that DC is filled to the brim with hack talent, I will grant that their jobs are undoubtedly made more challenging than they should be when events and reboots are constantly waylaying creators, and when really short runs are keeping stories and characters in a constant state of upheaval. It seems like there's always a constant state of uncertainty going on there, in every aspect.

BANNED

All my books conclude in the next few months except American Vampire.

Interested to see who writes what in March though, I'm sure I'll find something to pull at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post

I wish that were true but sadly it isn’t. Just because something is good doesn’t mean it will sell. Spurrier’s Hellblazer is the best Hellblazer we’ve gotten in over a decade, but it’s not selling that great and so it’s probably going to end with issue 12 right as it’s getting started. Not a fan of Tom Taylor personally but his Suicide Squad has been well received and he’s a big name. But Suicide Squad is selling like crap, it was already down in the 10k’s after 3 issues. I can not remember a single case within recent memory where a book that was struggling got a good team and sales rose. Stuff no one expected to do well but did usually came out of relaunches like Immortal Hulk.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-13-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I wish that were true but sadly it isn’t. Just because something is good doesn’t mean it will sell. Spurrier’s Hellblazer is the best Hellblazer we’ve gotten in over a decade, but it’s not selling that great and so it’s probably going to end with issue 12 right as it’s getting started. Not a fan of Tom Taylor personally but his Suicide Squad has been well received and he’s a big name. But Suicide Squad is selling like crap, it was already down in the 10k’s after 3 issues. I can not remember a single case within recent memory where a book that was struggling got a good team and sales rose. Stuff no one expected to do well but did usually came out of relaunches like Immortal Hulk.
    The first Hellblazer series lasted for 300 issues. If the new one gets cancelled at 12 it will be because DC doesn't want to invest in it and let it find it's legs and grow.

Doing events and initiatives only give good sales for about 2-3 months at most before moving back to their original sales numbers, or often lower as the previous fans left the book when it was cancelled the last time. And historically each time those "good sales" are lower than the last event and initiative.

Astonishing Member

They don't have the resources. DC/WB/AT&T is a sinking ship saddled with 100 billion dollars in debt. They are trying to save themselves by cutting things to the bone with all the layoffs and firing. But their dire financial situation is just not good for creativity.