Hi folks,

Old time reader here, hoping to clarify some general questions about continuity. I'm sure this has been asked to death but, I'm very lost with regards to whether the version of some characters I consider to be 'mine' still exists or not.

I basically got into comics at the Superman Byrne relaunch point, and that was my Superman. Now, I recently bought massive Crisis box and just finished the last volume. I had always been under the impression that Crisis just meant blank slate right after it, with full reboots and full new world (hence that Superman reboot). However after reading the crisis + crossovers, it doesn't really seem that way, it looks like earth 1 just became the primary earth, but that earth 1 superman was still there - therefore.. where does the Byrne Superman come in? What happened to the previous earth 1 superman?

Now, after the new 52 reboot, my understanding is that the new 52 Superman was a brand new one, whereas the 'old' Byrne-born Superman was still around, living in hiding. Then new-52 Superman just died, and Byrne-Superman became Superman again - and continues to this day. Is that more or less correct?

Oh and this is just a completely random question after reading some of those Crisis books, this time in regards to Black Canary. So, it looks like the earth 1 Black Canary was essentially the daughter of earth 2 Black Canary (that's how they explained the age difference), who had just been given her mother's memories, up until the point she was magically forced to remember. Now, does that mean the 'new' Black Canary had her mother's memories, in theory even intimate memories so... she'd just remember having sex with her own father? I'm hoping this was retconned at some point?

Thanks,