Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rorscharch #1 by Tom King and Jorge Fornes is out this week...

https://www.cbr.com/rorschach-1/

They're still handing off the biggest properties to Tom King for some reason - let's get this shitshow on the road! 12 issues of this! Robert Redford is president and Rorscharch is a divisive cultural icon and Tom King is going to offer some incisive political commentary about our times!

Mighty Member

I just read it: it's not bad.
    Tom King has changed his writing style, he tells his story, and it's pretty interesting. The story seems to be in the continuity of the TV series and fortunately it's far away from the universe of "Doomsday Clock". But frankly, nothing revolutionary, it's on the level of the "Before watchmen" series. On the whole, I find it much less boring and pompous than King's last stories: even if it's not a masterpiece for the moment, it's still quite intriguing and I want to read more. Compared to Tom King's latest comics, it's a success.

7/10. (But maybe it's time to stop robbing Alan Moore's corpse...)

PS: Shout out to Jorge Fornés who is doing a stellar job.
    Last edited by lordozone; 10-13-2020 at 06:07 AM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    They're still handing off the biggest properties to Tom King for some reason
    Multiple Eisner awards? Consistently one of DC's top selling writers? The guy's made a Adam Strange book the best selling DC book not having a Bat-character in it.

Just because some fans dislike his work doesn't mean all fans do.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

So begins Tom King's career as scab and backstabber of his stated idol by legitimizing and participating in his IP Theft.

When Moore started out he went out of his way to campaign for Jack Kirby to get his art recognized. He surrendered his rights of Miracleman and ensured Mick Anglo and his family got receipts.

Tom King though is a regular John Byrne who blathered on about Kirby but defended Marvel not giving him any recognition.

I liked some of Tom King's stuff from before but this project has made me lose all respect I have for the man.

I read it and liked it. Its better being trade waited if you want to get it. It feels like a period piece but still modern so maybe the early 2000s?

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I just read it: it's not bad.
    Tom King has changed his writing style, he tells his story, and it's pretty interesting. The story seems to be in the continuity of the TV series and fortunately it's far away from the universe of "Doomsday Clock". But frankly, nothing revolutionary, it's on the level of the "Before watchmen" series. On the whole, I find it much less boring and pompous than King's last stories: even if it's not a masterpiece for the moment, it's still quite intriguing and I want to read more. Compared to Tom King's latest comics, it's a success.

7/10. (But maybe it's time to stop robbing Alan Moore's corpse...)

PS: Shout out to Jorge Fornés who is doing a stellar job.
    Well I'm intrigued now, thanks... I will read it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So begins Tom King's career as scab and backstabber of his stated idol by legitimizing and participating in his IP Theft.

When Moore started out he went out of his way to campaign for Jack Kirby to get his art recognized. He surrendered his rights of Miracleman and ensured Mick Anglo and his family got receipts.

Tom King though is a regular John Byrne who blathered on about Kirby but defended Marvel not giving him any recognition.

I liked some of Tom King's stuff from before but this project has made me lose all respect I have for the man.
    Yeah but ... He used to work for the CIA, so its the least of his crimes? Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I read it and liked it. Its better being trade waited if you want to get it. It feels like a period piece but still modern so maybe the early 2000s?
    I think my issue is I ended up really hating King's recent work and coupled with the fact that I haven't watched the HBO Watchmen series, when I came across this my initially reaction was one of negativity... I will give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Multiple Eisner awards? Consistently one of DC's top selling writers? The guy's made a Adam Strange book the best selling DC book not having a Bat-character in it.

Just because some fans dislike his work doesn't mean all fans do.
    Yeah true, it was a dumb thing for me to say, I guess I was more going for a rhetorical expression more than anything but I take your point.

All-New Member

I'm ambivalent about past stories by Tom King, but it's hard to condone in any way the constant F-U to Alan Moore and comicbook creators here.. Same as with Doomsday clock, I might read it out of curiosity if I find it in a cafe or library, but I'd never spend money on it.

DC has plenty of characters and properties already, isn't it possible to redirect this talent to one of the million forgotten ones instead? Must they continue to exploit something that by all means they know they have no right to?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by al-f View Post
    I'm ambivalent about past stories by Tom King, but it's hard to condone in any way the constant F-U to Alan Moore and comicbook creators here.. Same as with Doomsday clock, I might read it out of curiosity if I find it in a cafe or library, but I'd never spend money on it.

DC has plenty of characters and properties already, isn't it possible to redirect this talent to one of the million forgotten ones instead? Must they continue to exploit something that by all means they know they have no right to?
    The scabs at DC from Before Watchmen downwards (and emphasis on the word "down") are not gonna add to Watchmen in any tangible sense. So it's self-defeating.

As for Tom King...like I said, I liked The Vision series he did for Marvel, I liked the Mister Miracle series. His other stuff is hit and miss.

But him doing this series, whose first issue has him making fun of Otto Binder's grief at losing his child, is a huge comedown. Geoff Johns was a glorified hack, so him doing Doomsday Clock was him being in-character, and as expected the dude didn't understand one jot about the original series and torpedoed his concept swiftly. But Tom King doing this makes him lower than Johns in my view.

Tom King is a young up-and-comer who has repeatedly talked about his fondness for Moore and so on. A new generation writer stabbing his creative inspiration in the gut and twisting the knife is amazingly lacking in grace. When Moore started out he helped his idols and raised attention and help to them. Generational betrayal doesn't really sell how low this act is.

King doesn't need the money from this. He's not going to sell or make as much from this series as his Batman run or his screenplay work for WB. So this is him choosing to hurt Moore and Gibbons out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    I think my issue is I ended up really hating King's recent work and coupled with the fact that I haven't watched the HBO Watchmen series, when I came across this my initially reaction was one of negativity... I will give it a chance.
    You don't have to if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    You don't have to if you don't want to.
    I'm aware. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by al-f View Post

I agree. But they clearly think there is $$$ to be made doing so.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The scabs at DC from Before Watchmen downwards (and emphasis on the word "down") are not gonna add to Watchmen in any tangible sense. So it's self-defeating.

As for Tom King...like I said, I liked The Vision series he did for Marvel, I liked the Mister Miracle series. His other stuff is hit and miss.

But him doing this series, whose first issue has him making fun of Otto Binder's grief at losing his child, is a huge comedown. Geoff Johns was a glorified hack, so him doing Doomsday Clock was him being in-character, and as expected the dude didn't understand one jot about the original series and torpedoed his concept swiftly. But Tom King doing this makes him lower than Johns in my view.

Tom King is a young up-and-comer who has repeatedly talked about his fondness for Moore and so on. A new generation writer stabbing his creative inspiration in the gut and twisting the knife is amazingly lacking in grace. When Moore started out he helped his idols and raised attention and help to them. Generational betrayal doesn't really sell how low this act is.

King doesn't need the money from this. He's not going to sell or make as much from this series as his Batman run or his screenplay work for WB. So this is him choosing to hurt Moore and Gibbons out in the open.
    Well at least Tom King's not claiming that Alan Moore will put a curse on him for working on yet another Watchmen spinoff unlike the guy behind the HBO series who tried to pass off doing stuff like this as somehow being rebellious.