Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking Scarlet Witch Annual (2023) #1 Review!

It All Happen Between 2 Breaths of Darcy’s Words!
    ^_^

An Annual that Gave a lot of lore, personal Journeys,
    and Lore to chew on that has my head and curiosity wondering intensely! From the level and scale of the witch fight
    to the depth of the dialogue was all of build for out Wanda, Agatha and the
    world around them.

This leading into the Contest of Chaos Event
    was a More Impressive opening starter then I though!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 06-21-2023 at 07:09 AM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member

I like the cover, but am no a fan of Agatha looking young. I liked that she looked like an old woman, but was still formidable!

I don't want to go over everything but I think this might have been the best issue in this run so far and that is saying a lot.
    I know some people wanted to read more about this whole Chthon thing and well here you are. We find out that Wanda has made herself into a target and we see that she is indeed attacked every night by demons that she keeps locked up in pocket realities.
    But that's not all as Agatha brings up and her concerns are actually kinda legit because Wanda is literally the only thing that keeps Chthon from running around and obviously nobody wants him running around.
    You also have to give credit to Agatha. While she obviously can't beat Wanda in a straight up fight, she knows Wanda well enough that she could foresee Wandas emotional responses to certain things so she sneakily still got what she wanted. Im interested in seeing where this goes.
    Also huge kudos to Carlos Nieto. Sara Pichelli and Russel Dauterman are tough acts to follow but he managed it. This entire issue was absolutely gorgeous and I would love if we would join the art team on a more permanent basis later down the road.
    Last edited by Galerion; 06-21-2023 at 11:10 AM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

I enjoyed this. The artist did a great job with the art, it felt like dauterman, pichelli, and a little david lopez all wrapped into one and i was here for it.

There were only two weak points for me. I got tired of the running gag of giving Darcy a raise, and i found it a little odd Agatha never had pizza or new what a food truck was but then admittedly i don't know much about agatha in the comics.

Oh and agatha's stances, so three. I think the feeling young line sort of masked it a bit but i just don't think all of a sudden being young your poses are going to change as drastically as some of the panels had her standing but that's more a personal issue really. lol

And a throwaway positive thought, i loved the line about Scarlet Witch having a hurricane inside her because of her power and immediately thought of X-men Red and smiled because Storm has the hurricane inside her so i thought it was lowkey a nice nod at how much power Wanda really has within her and then the comparisons continued. Also that brood scene was badass.

Some of my fave panels.

toendure.jpg
    broodslaying.jpg
    hurricanes.jpg
    Last edited by jwatson; 06-21-2023 at 01:05 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I like the cover, but am no a fan of Agatha looking young. I liked that she looked like an old woman, but was still formidable!
    Learn to love Agatha Hotness
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Easily the best if the 5 books I read today. Art was amazing, just in case anyone’s concerned. This Contest of Chaos storyline looks really weak to me, but Orlando gave it a great start. Agreed that it is likely the best issue of the 6 so far.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Well Disney didn't so...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Well Disney didn't so...
    I know. Ironic how Disney claims to embrace all types, but apparently senior citizens isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Learn to love Agatha Hotness
    I'd probably love it more if it didn't feel like it was only there for synergy .

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I enjoyed this. The artist did a great job with the art, it felt like dauterman, pichelli, and a little david lopez all wrapped into one and i was here for it.
    Yeah I think his style is actually pretty similar to Pichellis which was nice. I loved the casual outfits he gave everyone.

And a throwaway positive thought, i loved the line about Scarlet Witch having a hurricane inside her because of her power and immediately thought of X-men Red and smiled because Storm has the hurricane inside her so i thought it was lowkey a nice nod at how much power Wanda really has within her and then the comparisons continued. Also that brood scene was badass.
    Yeah from a powers perspective this issue delivered on all fronts. Like you already mentioned the Brood scene was crazy. It's especially funny when you consider that just recently Captain Marvel and the X-Men had this Brood story and here is Wanda easily cleansing herself from a Brood infection.

There was also this scene that I certainly feel will get people talking. At least the people who care about power scaling. I saw this being brought up and I kinda agree. There is a good case to be made that current Wanda is actually more powerful than HoM Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Yeah I think his style is actually pretty similar to Pichellis which was nice. I loved the casual outfits he gave everyone.

Yeah from a powers perspective this issue delivered on all fronts. Like you already mentioned the Brood scene was crazy. It's especially funny when you consider that just recently Captain Marvel and the X-Men had this Brood story and here is Wanda easily cleansing herself from a Brood infection.

There was also this scene that I certainly feel will get people talking. At least the people who care about power scaling. I saw this being brought up and I kinda agree. There is a good case to be made that current Wanda is actually more powerful than HoM Wanda.

I'm throwing it out there in the universe. Orlando, Ewing, Pichelli, Dauterman, Mystic Arcana: The High Priestesses mini.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I'm throwing it out there in the universe. Orlando, Ewing, Pichelli, Dauterman, Mystic Arcana: The High Priestesses mini.
    I would like and buy that but we have to take what we can get. I'm certainly content for now

I would like to see Marvel do another magic related book that does go over all it's magic users. They kind of did that with the last Strange book, but that was mostly just his lore. What I'm looking for is more definition for the types of magic, and them exploring the abilities of their magic users. They've hinted for years (maybe decades now) at Storm being a witch. I'd like to see them go through more detail with that.

And seeing all the magic users work together to take out some huge threat could be really epic.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I would like to see Marvel do another magic related book that does go over all it's magic users. They kind of did that with the last Strange book, but that was mostly just his lore. What I'm looking for is more definition for the types of magic, and them exploring the abilities of their magic users. They've hinted for years (maybe decades now) at Storm being a witch. I'd like to see them go through more detail with that.

And seeing all the magic users work together to take out some huge threat could be really epic.
    That's something that G.O.D.S could be but besides some vague statements we still really don't know much about it.

Still not a fan of all this MCU Synergy, it is completely unnecessary. But thankfully that was the only thing that I didn't like about the annual. Some good characterisation on both Witches, with Agatha's arrogance already going to be her downfall. I loved the dimension hopping especially as they went to more of the other concept planes rather than Alternate Realities, though I am disappointed there wasn't a Red Lucy reference. Still this was a really good annual, which will part of an event was mostlya bummer issue of the main series.