Spectacular Member

Default Trying to get into past comics

I'm trying to get into past comics but I'm not sure what to to read. I want to collect trades of previous comics but I don't know where to start because I don't just want to collect comics for the sake of a run but because I'm interested in the storyline but I don't where to look for storylines. I'm not looking for comics for specific characters because I'm open to any character or titles but I'm struggling to know where to look. Can anyone help me please?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Just from the top of my head
    Sandman Mystery Theatre- Matt Wagner
    Jonah Hex- Darwyn Cooke
    Secret Six- Gail Simone
    Gotham Central- Greg Rucka

It depends what you call "past comics".

For a simple short cut the DC has multiple eras with their own continuity:

1. 1938-1956 - The Golden Age
    2. 1956-1985 - The Silver and Bronze Age (aka pre-crisis)
    3. 1985-2011 - The 1st Modern Age (aka post-crisis, aka pre-flashpoint)
    4. 2011-now - The 2nt Modern Age (aka post-flashpoint)
    5. 2011-2016 - New 52
    6. 2016-2019 - Rebirth
    7. 2019-now - DC Univers

Each new era was the result of some event.

1. For the Silver/Bronze age is was the introduction of the Comics Code
    2. For the Modern Age it was the end of the Comics Code and the event "Crisis On Infinit Earths"
    3. For New52 it was the event Flashpoint
    4. For Rebirth is was DC Univers Rebirth
    5. For DC Univers it was Doomsday Clock
    6. For the future era, it's the ongoing Metal Event

Here are few notable past runs/stories

1. 1959-85 - Flash: The Silver Age by Carmine Infantino
    2. 1963-82 - Crisis On Multiple Earths
    3. 1966-82 - The Steve Ditko Omnibus - Charleston Comics
    4. 1970-73 - The Fourth World by Jack Kirby
    5. 1970-72 - Green Lantern/Green Arrow
    6. 1972-76 - Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus by Len Wein and others
    7. 1982 - The Great Darkness Saga
    8. 1980-96 - The New Teen Titans - The Saga by Marv Wolfman and George Perez
    9. 1984-86 - Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
    10. 1986 - The Watchmen by Alan Moore
    11. 1985-86 - Crisis On Infinit Earths (aka COIE)
    12. 1987-89 - DC: Legends + Justice League International
    13. 1987-89 - DC: Legends + Suicide Squad by John Ostrander
    14. 1987-92 - Wonder Woman by George Perez
    15. 1986 - Batman: Year One
    16. 1987 - Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunter
    17. 1987-90 - The Question by Denis O'Neil
    18. 1988 - Batman: The Killing Joke
    19. 1988-13 - Hellblazer
    20. 1988-89 - Animal Man by Grant Morrison
    21. 1989 - Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth
    22. 1989-96 - Sandman by Neil Gaiman
    23. 1989-93 - Doom Patrol by Grant Morrsion
    24. 1990-92 - Lobo by Keith Giffen & Alan Grant
    25. 1995-99 - The Power of Shazam! - follows the SHAZAM familly by Jerry Ordway
    26. 1987-97 - The Flash by Mark Waid
    27. 1996-00 - Batman: The Long Halloween + Batman: Dark Victory
    28. 2000-06 - The Flash by Geoff Johns
    29. 1990-91 - Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn I, II
    30. 1994 - Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight/New Dawn
    31. 1994 - Gen13
    32. 1993-94 - The Death and Return of Superman
    33. 1993-95 - Batman: Knightfall
    34. 1994 - Batman: Mad Love
    35. 1995-00 - Preacher
    36. 1996-02 - Stormwatch + The Authority
    37. 1998-09 - Planetary by Warren Ellis
    38. 1999 - Batman: No Man's Land
    39. 1996-06 - JLA: Year One + JLA by Grant Morrison & Mark Waid
    40. 2000 - Batman/Huntress: Cry for blood
    41. 2000-02 - Orion by Walter Simonson
    42. 2003-04 - Superman: Birthright - Retelling of Superman's origins by Mark Waid
    43. 2003-06 - Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka
    44. 2003-06 - New Gotham + Turning Point + Gotham Central + Bruce Wayne: Murderer ? + Bruce Wayne: Fugitive
    45. 2006-12 - Green Lantern by Geoff Johns
    46. 2004-05 - Superman: For Tomorrow
    47. 2004 - Identity Crisis
    48. 2005 - Infinite Crisis Omnibus - with all the mini-series
    49. 2006-07 - 52
    50. 2006-07 - Checkmate
    51. 2006-08 - Seven Solders of Victory + Final Crisis
    52. 2007-09 - Will Eisner's Spirit
    53. 2008 - Superman: Brainiac - The Major story by Geoff Johns
    54. 2006-11 - Batman by Grant Morrison + Batman Incorporated
    55. 2011 - Flashpoint - The Event by Geoff Johns
    56. 2011-16 - Batman & Robin New 52 - Story by Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason
    57. 2011 - Batman: Court of Owls + Batman: Night of Owls - The Owls Saga by Scott Snyder
    58. 2011-14 - Wonder Woman New 52 - Saga by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang
    59. 2011-14 - Aquaman New 52 - Story by Geoff Johns
    60. 2012-13 - Shazam! New 52 - New origins by Geoff Johns
    61. 2011-14 - Flash New 52 - Flash by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato
    62. 2011-14 - Green Arrow New 52 - Story by Jeff Lemire & Andrea Sorrentino
    63. 2011 - Justice League by Geoff Johns
    64. 2016 - Titan Hunt + DC Univers Rebirth + The Return of Wally West
    65. 2016-* - Aquaman Rebirth - By Dan Abnett
    66. 2016-19 - Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
    67. 2018-19 - Doomsday Clock
    68. 2018 - Justice League Dark by James Tynion IV
    69. 2019 - Mr. Miracle by Tom King
    70. 2019 - Dark Knight: Metal + Justice League: No Justice + Justice League by Scott Snyder + Death Metal

That's the most important in my opinion.
    Last edited by jb681131; 10-13-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    I'm trying to get into past comics but I'm not sure what to to read. I want to collect trades of previous comics but I don't know where to start because I don't just want to collect comics for the sake of a run but because I'm interested in the storyline but I don't where to look for storylines. I'm not looking for comics for specific characters because I'm open to any character or titles but I'm struggling to know where to look. Can anyone help me please?
    What kind of storyline do you prefer? Detective, war, time travel, interstellar war, supernatural, horror, family matters, espionage, mythical epic, superhero deconstruction, character study...

It's pretty much trial and error really.

After a few years I realized that late 80s, early 90s is the right era for me.

People buy digital comics on comixology or DC app (you can read a little synopsis there) and if it's good enough then buy a physical copy. You can start with trades but later on you might want the real copy from the time period, they kinda seem more real
    Last edited by the COMET; 10-13-2020 at 11:41 AM.

I sort of went through this a little while back when I started going to comic shows more frequently and wanted to find some old stuff to read. Here's some of the things I did. Not sure if it would help you or not, but it worked for me:

-Like a character? Look into their old runs. Start at a specific storyline or when a writer/artist came on and work from there.

-See a character that a lot of people like but you never really got into? Look into them. Same as before. Pick an easy starting point (storyline start/beginning of a writer/artist run) and work from there.

-Like a writer/artist? Start looking into some of their work you haven't read yet.

-Websites love to make lists. CBR used to do user-voted lists of best comics/stories/creators/etc. Other sites do things like it as well. Go over some of those lists and see if any of those sound interesting to you.

Just a few ideas. I've been able to go back and read some stuff that I now consider some of my favorite comics of all time this way.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    1988-89 - Animal Man by Alan Grant
    I think you mean 1988-90 - Animal Man by Grant Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Englehart Humperdinck View Post
    I think you mean 1988-90 - Animal Man by Grant Morrison.
    Well spotted, I corrected.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What kind of storyline do you prefer? Detective, war, time travel, interstellar war, supernatural, horror, family matters, espionage, mythical epic, superhero deconstruction, character study...
    I prefer stories that involves time travel, interstellar war and character study.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I prefer stories that involve time travel, interstellar war, and character study.
    The Return of Bruce Wayne - Darkseid sent Bruce back in time and we get to see how he tried to get back to the present while also influencing his ancestors... this might need some prior knowledge of Morrison's Batman lore, I'm not sure... you'll definitely will get more enjoyment out of it if you know Wayne family tree/history or just history of DCU in general

Time travel is Booster Gold's territory but I'm not an expert on him

The interstellar war would be the Green Lantern events by Geoff Johns - not my field

In character studies, we have a lot, and most of them you don't need prior knowledge

Batman Prey - Hugo Strange trying to find out what made Batman ticks while exploring what Batman fears in his early days
    Batman Venom - What happened if Batman failed to save someone and decided he has to get strong no matter what
    Batman Cold Days - Mr. Freeze was tortured by a grieving angry Batman. Is this true justice? Bruce Wayne sits alongside the Jury.
    Batman The Brave and The Mold - Swamp Thing says he's beyond human emotion. Is he really, though?
    Batman RIP Last Rites - What The Butler Saw and The Butler Did It - A two-parter of what happened if Bruce never became Batman compared to the history of Batman from the 40s to the 2000s
    Grayson #3 The Gun Goes Off - Guns and killing politic in a revenge story
    Grayson #5 We All Die At Dawn - Dick Grayson with a baby lost in the desert. What makes a hero
    Robin Son of Batman Vol. 1 Year of Blood - All the sins Damian Wayne did before he was Robin and the effect of an assassin life on the 9-year-old
    The Killing Joke - have to include this, of course, the tragedy of the Joker's creation and his attempt to make people relate
    Joker Going Sane - What happened if Joker thought Batman died... and he became sane
    Harley Quinn - Mad Love - Another really popular one, the definitive look to Joker and Harley's relationship

Sorry it's all Batman coz that's what I know :P

BANNED

I kinda' find what you're saying a little vague or hard to understand. Are you looking for specific recommendations for comics, or are you trying to figure out a method to find comics to read?

I think most readers decide to gravitate toward a character and then they deep dive on material for that character. Just think of a character that intrigues you and research their publication history a bit. Wikipedia and ComicVine are big helps with things like that.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I prefer stories that involves time travel, interstellar war and character study.
    Timetravel - I would HIGHLY recommend the Booster Gold run by Johns/Katz. It was bloody brilliant and you don't need to know anything about the character to enjoy it.
    Interstellar war - That's easy. Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern will scratch that itch.
    Character study - Starman by Robinson is a creative highwater mark. Jonah Hex by Palmiotti & Gray is also exceptional.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Chronos (1998) and Starman (1994).

Both of those should be very much to your liking. James Robinson's Starman is as good as it gets in superhero comics. Just really amazing work.