Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Am I the only one who loved Mr. Sinister first, but not anymore? Ever since he clones himself and is more humoristic than a serious threat I dislike reading stories about him. Now at the start of Dawn of X, it seemed he was back being interesting, but now again we see he cloned himself and it's more a joke. I just cannot take him serious as a threat with all this.
    For me he's the most interesting he's ever been. And I think most people assumed his cloning stuff would come into the story due to the resurrection protocols etc. I think a big aim of DoX is to use characters in better ways than they've been used in the past decade or so. I think Sinister's penchant for cloning is gonna play into that! I'm liking it currently

Am I the only one who loved Mr. Sinister first, but not anymore? Ever since he clones himself and is more humoristic than a serious threat I dislike reading stories about him. Now at the start of Dawn of X, it seemed he was back being interesting, but now again we see he cloned himself and it's more a joke. I just cannot take him serious as a threat with all this.
    I'm with you. I preferred the scary, heartless scientist. I didn't like Gillen's version to begin with, and these subsequent attempts haven't done any better.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I never particularly cared for Sinister, but this comic relief take on him is just irritating. Like am I really supposed to believe that this joke of a character is one of the X-Men's most terrifying villains? Really, this guy? It retroactively cheapens all the past stories with him.

BANNED

This book continues to be hilarious and a true joy to read on all levels. I like that they're using underhanded tactics, since the Amenthi sent Unus back as a double agent and nobody noticed so far, so sabotage is on the table.

10/10, I'm loving it.

Astonishing Member

I think Gillen's Sinister worked for the the type of Steampunk vibe he was going for in his story the same Sinister's current personality fits the way Hickman and Zebs story. All the core traits of Sinister are there his callous disregard for life, his self interest, his genetic research, and his duplicitous nature. It's just all wrapped in a much more unassuming package.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I never particularly cared for Sinister, but this comic relief take on him is just irritating. Like am I really supposed to believe that this joke of a character is one of the X-Men's most terrifying villains? Really, this guy? It retroactively cheapens all the past stories with him.
    That's the point of the misdirect tho. He's the type of Evil Genius you don't suspect because he's constantly babbling and worrying about his fashion / cape right up until the moment he stabs you in the back and creates a singularity that wipes out your entire civilization. Moira life9.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    That's the point of the misdirect tho. He's the type of Evil Genius you don't suspect because he's constantly babbling and worrying about his fashion / cape right up until the moment he stabs you in the back and creates a singularity that wipes out your entire civilization. Moira life9.
    What misdirect? Everyone and their mother knows who he is and what he's capable of. And he's not exactly hiding it either. He calls himself Mr. Sinister, not Mr. Sissy.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

We have been shown he's the person that brought down Krakoa in Life 9, so not take him seriously as a threat makes no sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    What misdirect? Everyone and their mother knows who he is and what he's capable of. And he's not exactly hiding it either. He calls himself Mr. Sinister, not Mr. Sissy.
    Him acting like a buffoon? It's called deception. No one is immune to it. He's literally playing a Joker stereotype. Sinister is a snake, an opportunistic devil and in a single quiet council meeting he's managed to be sent on a mission to other Otherworld where he can collect the genetic samples of powerful, possibly omega level Arraki mutants all while convincing the QC that it was THEIR decision AND has a back up plan to cheat the Resurrection error.

I think the misconception here is that Mr Sinister isn't scary because he isn't being outwardly...well sinister. When really he's still the same batsh*t insane egomaniac villain he's always been except this time he's playing the role of the jester.
    Last edited by loke13; 10-16-2020 at 04:42 AM.

Astonishing Member

Double post

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Him acting like a buffoon? It's called deception. No one is immune to it. He's literally playing a Joker stereotype. Sinister is a snake, an opportunistic devil and in a single quiet council meeting he's managed to be sent on a mission to other Otherworld where he can collect the genetic samples of powerful, possibly omega level Arraki mutants all while convincing the QC that it was THEIR decision AND has a back up plan to cheat the Resurrection error.

I think the misconception here is that Mr Sinister isn't scary because he isn't being outwardly...well sinister. When really he's still the same batsh*t insane egomaniac villain he's always been except this time he's playing the role of the jester.
    Agree ,I think Exodus is onto him ,he probably scans his devious mind every moment they are in proximity

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    This book continues to be hilarious and a true joy to read on all levels. I like that they're using underhanded tactics, since the Amenthi sent Unus back as a double agent and nobody noticed so far, so sabotage is on the table.

10/10, I'm loving it.
    Yupp.

It continues to change and challenge my expectations in unexpected ways.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Every page of this book was gold. This is definitely my favorite book after Hickman's stuff.

Also the best Sinister has ever been. I've only liked Claremont's version when his original planned origin was being set up, but have had no use for him after Claremont's first departure. This is a vast improvement, he really needs to be deliberately camp for me to take him seriously. Otherwise he's ridiculous in a bad way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Also the best Sinister has ever been. I've only liked Claremont's version when his original planned origin was being set up, but have had no use for him after Claremont's first departure. This is a vast improvement, he really needs to be deliberately camp for me to take him seriously. Otherwise he's ridiculous in a bad way.
    It's actually kind of sensible that he'd be so flaky, because he's spent so long in the shadows, surrounded by clones, that he's lost whatever sense of what's appropriate that he ever had, and has gotten stranger over time, turned around by his own quirky psychodrama until he's utterly out of sorts attempting to socialize with others, particularly as equals (since he's hardly ever thought of others as potential equals, and now he's sitting at a table with people like Storm, Exodus, Apocalypse, Jean, etc. who could probably roll him like a blunt).

Or, in his own terms, he's aged like fine wine. Or possibly fermented, and gotten bubbly, with fruity overtones? Hard to say.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

He cloned himself so much over time he may not remember who the original was anymore. I like Sinister as a villain and his actual characterization is highly enjoyable but I wish writers or Hickman talked more about what his deal is it used to be the progenie of Jean and Scott but after Cableīs birth that lost itīs original meaning so imo he needs a new motive for the things he does besides being a chaotic trickster.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022