View Poll Results: What's your favorite Spider-Man Event?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Owl/Octopus War

1 3.70%
  • Kraven's Last Hunt

11 40.74%
  • Return of the Sinister Six

2 7.41%
  • Maximum carnage

4 14.81%
  • Clone Saga

4 14.81%
  • Back in Black

3 11.11%
  • New Ways to Die

3 11.11%
  • Spider-Island

5 18.52%
  • Ends of the Earth

2 7.41%
  • Spider-Men

2 7.41%
  • Spider Verse

1 3.70%
  • Clone Conspiracy

1 3.70%
  • Hunted

0 0%
  • Absolute Carnage

4 14.81%
  • Other

3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default What is your favorite Spider-Man Event/Crossover

I did a thread like this in the Marvel forums and wanted to see what a Spider-Man version would look like. Now with Spider-Man it's a little different as there aren't actually that many Spider-Man crossovers, so I expanded it to event storylines within the series as well. I limited it to stories that were 5 parts or longer (so no Master Planner or Jean DeWolf). I put together a list of 14 (plus 'other') as that is the maximum amount I can put in a poll. If I missed one of your favorites, list it in a reply as I am very curious what stories y'all liked most. You can vote for multiple stories as well, you don't have to pick a number one favorite. I used Marvel's Wiki on crossover events to help with the list and tried to include new and old stories.

1. The Owl/Octopus War
    2. Kravens Last Hunt
    3. Return of the Sinister Six
    4. Maximum Carnage
    5. Clone Saga
    6. Back in Black
    7. New Ways to Die
    8. Spider Island
    9. Ends of the Earth
    10. Spider-Men
    11. Spider-Verse
    12. The Clone Conspiracy
    13. Hunted
    14. Absolute Carnage
    15. Other

My favorite is probably Spider Island which I think is probably Slott's peak achievement (along with Superior Spider-Man). I don't love Kraven's Last Hunt as everyone else.

(Crossposted from your last thread)
    Is the "Owl/Octopus War" an event? I thought it was just a (crucial) storyline in Spectacular?
    In either case, my favorite "event" for Spidey would actually be "Ultimate Clone Saga" from Ultimate Spider-Man. Having read USM primarily when I was younger, I was enamored with how tight, effective, and awesome that story was. It was made even better when I discovered that it was a condensed version of a two-year debacle in 616.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    (Crossposted from your last thread)
    Is the "Owl/Octopus War" an event? I thought it was just a (crucial) storyline in Spectacular?
    In either case, my favorite "event" for Spidey would actually be "Ultimate Clone Saga" from Ultimate Spider-Man. Having read USM primarily when I was younger, I was enamored with how tight, effective, and awesome that story was. It was made even better when I discovered that it was a condensed version of a two-year debacle in 616.
    I adore the Ultimate Clone Saga actually but just didn't put any Ultimate stories on the list (other than Spider-Men and that includes 616 Peter Parker).

I added Owl/Octopus War because I think, along with the Tablet Saga, it was the longest serialized story in Spider-Man books up until that point. I could be wrong though.

Astonishing Member

So, does "Who Killed Joey Z" count?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Now with Spider-Man it's a little different as there aren't actually that many Spider-Man crossovers, so I expanded it to event storylines within the series as well. I limited it to stories that were 5 parts or longer (so no Master Planner or Jean DeWolf). I put together a list of 14 (plus 'other') as that is the maximum amount I can put in a poll.
    I honestly don't know if I would call some of the stories you list as "events". The Owl/Octopus War, now that's a great story and I am always happy for such an obscure storyline to get spotlight on it, but that storyline was a multi-arc story that happened in a single title -- The Spectacular Spider-Man. The same applies to Return of the Sinister Six, a multi-arc story that happened in The Amazing Spider-Man. These aren't stories that directly crossed over into every Spider-Man title at the same time by any means. Stuff like HUNTED is likewise a mega-story arc all authored by the same guy and taking place in ASM.

The first time a Spider-Man story crossed over every Spider-Man title active at the time was Kraven's Last Hunt, and it was written by one author and one artist (DeMatteis, Zeck) and the entire purpose for that was creative...the entire Kraven killing Spider-Man and burying him wouldn't have had suspense if it happened in Spectacular while the main title did another story entirely. And KLH crossed over into all titles at the time (ASM, SSM, Web of Spider-Man). Stuff like The Clone Saga likewise isn't an event, it was a multi-year status-quo across all titles, not a single crossover event, unless you want to refer to the big event of that storyline -- Maximum Clonage, which is this great sadness.

If we define Spider-Man event stories as stories which crossover into every active Spider-Man title at once, then I would say that there have only been two legit great stories as a result of that -- Kraven's Last Hunt, Back in Black.

Good Spider-Man events (albeit not great) include Spider-Island. Otherwise you have stuff like Spider-Verse where tie-in stories, i.e. the Spider-Gwen stuff ultimately proved to be more interesting and fun than the main event. Maximum Carnage has interesting bits but tons of mediocrity and it's a big wash.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I honestly don't know if I would call some of the stories you list as "events". The Owl/Octopus War, now that's a great story and I am always happy for such an obscure storyline to get spotlight on it, but that storyline was a multi-arc story that happened in a single title -- The Spectacular Spider-Man. The same applies to Return of the Sinister Six, a multi-arc story that happened in The Amazing Spider-Man. These aren't stories that directly crossed over into every Spider-Man title at the same time by any means. Stuff like HUNTED is likewise a mega-story arc all authored by the same guy and taking place in ASM.

The first time a Spider-Man story crossed over every Spider-Man title active at the time was Kraven's Last Hunt, and it was written by one author and one artist (DeMatteis, Zeck) and the entire purpose for that was creative...the entire Kraven killing Spider-Man and burying him wouldn't have had suspense if it happened in Spectacular while the main title did another story entirely. And KLH crossed over into all titles at the time (ASM, SSM, Web of Spider-Man). Stuff like The Clone Saga likewise isn't an event, it was a multi-year status-quo across all titles, not a single crossover event, unless you want to refer to the big event of that storyline -- Maximum Clonage, which is this great sadness.
    You're not wrong about any of this. You're especially correct about the Clone Saga but I wanted to acknowledge it without being able to pull out one story that could possibly be worthy of placement on the list. As you said, Maximum Clonage is nobody's favorite anything. But I wanted to include a lot of options and figured if a story was long enough it merited consideration. I also thought about Revenge of the Sinister Six, Round Robin, Assassination Nation, and The Child Within among others. I did the best I could to put together a list that acknowledged as many stories as I could

Absolute Carnage was not, by any possible metric, a Spider-Man event. It was a Venom event.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The Other.

10char
    "Cable was right!"

Spider-Island, mainly because all the others suck. And as some of the others said, stuff like the Owl/Octopus war doesn't really count.

I do have a soft spot for Maximum Carnage thougt.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

If I have to pick just one from this list (great list by the way) - Kraven's Last Hunt, always Kraven's Last Hunt. It is sheer perfection.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I get push back for saying this. but I loved the Clone Saga.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'll always have a soft spot for maximum Carnage. I also almost voted for Return of the Sinister Six, before realizing that the story I was thinking of liking so much was Revenge of the Sinister Six. I often get those two confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    My favorite "event" for Spidey would actually be "Ultimate Clone Saga" from Ultimate Spider-Man. Having read USM primarily when I was younger, I was enamored with how tight, effective, and awesome that story was. It was made even better when I discovered that it was a condensed version of a two-year debacle in 616.
    I adore the Ultimate Clone Saga
    Me too. Truly an unsung classic...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I also almost voted for Return of the Sinister Six, before realizing that the story I was thinking of liking so much was Revenge of the Sinister Six. I often get those two confused.
    I like both "Return" & "Revenge", but I'm in agreement with you about liking "Revenge" a little bit more...

Among those listed, My Top (3) Three votes went to...

Kraven's Last Hunt

Maximum Carnage

Other
    (Round Robin: The Sidekick's Revenge)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 10-15-2020 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

A Reckoning is Nigh

This is not a very popular opinion, but I really liked the Clone Conspiracy