Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    That raises a lot of ethical problems because in the event that Doug survives you would have to murder the other.

It's exactly the kind of thing Sinister does.
    This! Plus all the eggs were destroyed and I don't think they'll be able to do it in time...
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    In Necrosha he didn't need any "practice" time to learn how how beat up all his old team mates. He just beat them all up. Quickly.
    Ehhh I just think knowing how to read body language is a wholly different thing than immediately being good at swordfighting, rationally. And that's what it seems like writers are going with too

Great issue and the art was top notch. I don’t think it’s fair to say Apocalypse was defeated, he wasn’t fighting and his kids stabbed him in the back. I think it will be interesting to see how harshly he treats them when they meet again. More on topic however I really like the connection between Doug and Krakoa. I think at some point Krakoa will have to make a choice between Doug and Arrako and I honestly don’t know which one would get chosen.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by meisaj View Post
    Hasn't Doug already learned to decipher body language in fighting styles?
    He can but only when it's convenient for plot.

Really loved this issue. Doug is one of the real winners in this era -- his subplots are incredibly intriguing, and his interactions with characters like Magik and M have been great.

I wonder if the line said to Exodus by Warlock -- the one about what he and Krakoa can do together -- was just a throwaway line or a hint at what we might be getting in the future.

-Pav, who enjoyed seeing Mondo again...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by meisaj View Post
    Hasn't Doug already learned to decipher body language in fighting styles?

I don't follow X-men closely and have been trying to catch up since Hickman's run has been getting acclaim, but I thought since Doug came back during Necrosha his deciphering abilities were expanded a lot to include more than just written and oral language. Seemed odd to make a big deal about him reading body language and not making bigger gains in picking up sword fighting.

Apparently, Brisson didn't read Zeb Well's run on New Mutants as I have said in the past!

Doug has read Magik's body language and fought with her before, Brisson makes it look like this is the first time.

Even before Necrosha, he can already read body language in Chris's run. Doug was never 'just a translator' as stated by Brisson, Brisson didn't do his homework well.

This is New Mutants #53.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Maybe Brisson's best X-book. It was good to see people concerned for Doug, would have been nice if they could have added a Kitty and/or Rhane scene. I like that it was acknowledged that Doug can read body language, but it was given limitations. .
    I feel that it is still mediocre and other writers would have done a better job.

It's really lazy writing not to include the other New Mutants like Rahne, Dani, Karma, Kitty who is also Doug's family because they have known him the longest. The opinions and feelings of the other New Mutants should been taken account too.

Again, I won't be sad to see Brisson go.

BANNED

Great issue. Krakoa crying for Doug was sweet, as is the Illyana and Doug interactions.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Great issue. Krakoa crying for Doug was sweet, as is the Illyana and Doug interactions.
    Why did Krakoa need Mondo to communicate with Doug when Krakoa can communicate directly with Doug?

If Doug dies, I think Mondo can act as the 'translator' as shown in this issue. So why did Krakoa said 'you are too important in this relationship with mutant-kind'?

Many things doesn't make sense like

- Doug is the only one who can communicate with Krakoa. Mondo can be used as the voice of Krakoa.

- Choosing Doug to go to the tournament when there are more powerful opponents, omega mutants like Exodus, Iceman, Phoenix etc.
    Last edited by ericng; 10-14-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Apparently, Brisson didn't read Zeb Well's run on New Mutants as I have said in the past!

Doug has read Magik's body language and fought with her before, Brisson makes it look like this is the first time.

Even before Necrosha, he can already read body language in Chris's run. Doug was never 'just a translator' as stated by Brisson, Brisson didn't do his homework well.

This is New Mutants #53.

Literally nobody references this, nor necrosha doug. Trying to pedal it over and over, isn't going to make people go "Aww yeah, you right." cause it's clear nobody wants to bother with it. Zeb does a lot of great work. That aint one of it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Literally nobody references this, nor necrosha doug. Trying to pedal it over and over, isn't going to make people go "Aww yeah, you right." cause it's clear nobody wants to bother with it. Zeb does a lot of great work. That aint one of it.
    I am not trying to pedal it over and over again. I was explaining this to the questioner who haven't read my previous posts in the New Mutants Appreciation thread.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Ehhh I just think knowing how to read body language is a wholly different thing than immediately being good at swordfighting, rationally. And that's what it seems like writers are going with too
    Yes, wholly agree.

Being able to read and predict your opponent's moves won't do anyone good if your reaction time is slow and you have no sword-fighting skill.

That's why Doug needs training but it's not mentioned here how many training sessions he had with Magik before he got 'better at sword-fighting'.

I really think that Hickman is setting up Doug for something other than fighting. Maybe he intended to let Doug die in the tournament and come back as somebody new and improved ???

Doug worries about dying, but not once does he mention having died once already. And he stayed dead for a long time... Wait... Off topic, but weren’t the Phalanx as they originally appeared supposed to be humans infected with the techno-organic virus? Douglock came about because of that too... (sorry it’s been a while) HOXPOX now says the Phalanx are from space and control the Technarch.

I feel like Doug gonna die or Magik.

I really hope Exodus downloaded how to swordfighting in Doug's head.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Why did Krakoa need Mondo to communicate with Doug when Krakoa can communicate directly with Doug?

If Doug dies, I think Mondo can act as the 'translator' as shown in this issue. So why did Krakoa said 'you are too important in this relationship with mutant-kind'?

Many things doesn't make sense like

- Doug is the only one who can communicate with Krakoa. Mondo can be used as the voice of Krakoa.

- Choosing Doug to go to the tournament when there are more powerful opponents, omega mutants like Exodus, Iceman, Phoenix etc.
    Both instances you point out do indeed make sense...

-Krakoa has explained he does not like communicating through Mondo. Also, we have no idea that anyone other than Cypher can understand Krakoa speaking through Mondo.

-No one chose Doug for the tournament. He was part of Saturnyne's "prophecy". They have to play by the rules.