Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

One line that stuck out to me was when Magik told Cypher to stay close to her when the fighting starts. That makes it sound like they'll be able to fight together instead of just fighting 1 on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    One line that stuck out to me was when Magik told Cypher to stay close to her when the fighting starts. That makes it sound like they'll be able to fight together instead of just fighting 1 on 1.
    That is what she is assuming. She does not really know. There are exactly ten realms in the new Otherworld map. That cannot be by chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I feel that it is still mediocre and other writers would have done a better job.

It's really lazy writing not to include the other New Mutants like Rahne, Dani, Karma, Kitty who is also Doug's family because they have known him the longest. The opinions and feelings of the other New Mutants should been taken account too.

Again, I won't be sad to see Brisson go.
    Yeah I was thinking about the other New Mutants throughout the issue, but I'd rather Brisson go out on a relative high note and focus on two characters instead of squeezing in the others that he never really knew how to write.

When Doug came back during Necrosha, he was an amped-up Zombie.

Even still -- his READING body language is just that: READING.
    Being able to identify intention of movement in another person doesn't make you a Martial Artist and it definitely doesn't make you a sword master.
    This is Cypher. Not Prodigy.
    DOUG will identify a telegraphed punch, or special maneuver unique to one's personal fighting style, etc. whereas DAVID would immediately ADOPT the skillset of whomever is within range allowing himself to be a master swordsman, if needed. I think future writers, during the Utopia era, continually misread(haha) the extent of physicality Doug's omnilingualism could actually afford him.

The acrobatics and drunken-master-style-maneuvers he demonstrated during Necrosha were heavily produced thanks to his Transmode Zombie status.
    He was basically bobbing and weaving and directing the flow of movement in his opponents by using their own momentum and eventually clocking them with a lead pipe -- which, the act of bashing someone with a lead pipe(???) really doesn't require extensive training or martial mastery. hahaha.

Even in this very issue, Doug admits to using his power to identify Illyana's movements and recognizing the familiarity (thereby allowing him to counter/parry) but also acknowledging that same familiarity as concerning -- because it indicates the ABSENCE of Illayna's signature complexity and aggression: AKA she's pulling her punches.

All that being said, I found this issue very charming. Reis is exceptional. The inclusion of Exodus's proposal --although upsetting, as a "Dougie is the goodest softest best boy" super fan-- was veeerrry creepy and fun to read. I was immediately re-hyped when Illyana told Doug to stay close to him when the tournament begins, but also stabbed with a shard of dread, wondering if Illyana is being so heavily propped up as this ferocious and capable fighter only to be defeated later defending her family -- for the oh-so-coveted emotional gut punch writers and readers revel in.

Will the fall of Illyana in Otherworld and subsequent inability to be resurrected bring rise to the creation of the Chimera Rasputin???

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    When Doug came back during Necrosha, he was an amped-up Zombie.

Even still -- his READING body language is just that: READING.
    Being able to identify intention of movement in another person doesn't make you a Martial Artist and it definitely doesn't make you a sword master.
    This is Cypher. Not Prodigy.
    DOUG will identify a telegraphed punch, or special maneuver unique to one's personal fighting style, etc. whereas DAVID would immediately ADOPT the skillset of whomever is within range allowing himself to be a master swordsman, if needed. I think future writers, during the Utopia era, continually misread(haha) the extent of physicality Doug's omnilingualism could actually afford him.

The acrobatics and drunken-master-style-maneuvers he demonstrated during Necrosha were heavily produced thanks to his Transmode Zombie status.
    He was basically bobbing and weaving and directing the flow of movement in his opponents by using their own momentum and eventually clocking them with a lead pipe -- which, the act of bashing someone with a lead pipe(???) really doesn't require extensive training or martial mastery. hahaha.

Even in this very issue, Doug admits to using his power to identify Illyana's movements and recognizing the familiarity (thereby allowing him to counter/parry) but also acknowledging that same familiarity as concerning -- because it indicates the ABSENCE of Illayna's signature complexity and aggression: AKA she's pulling her punches.

All that being said, I found this issue very charming. Reis is exceptional. The inclusion of Exodus's proposal --although upsetting, as a "Dougie is the goodest softest best boy" super fan-- was veeerrry creepy and fun to read. I was immediately re-hyped when Illyana told Doug to stay close to him when the tournament begins, but also stabbed with a shard of dread, wondering if Illyana is being so heavily propped up as this ferocious and capable fighter only to be defeated later defending her family -- for the oh-so-coveted emotional gut punch writers and readers revel in.

Will the fall of Illyana in Otherworld and subsequent inability to be resurrected bring rise to the creation of the Chimera Rasputin???
    This is the cover for the next issue of New Mutants which comes out after X of Swords is finished.

And the solicit: "On the edge of mutant society, the younger generation of X-Men cut loose in the Wild Hunt—going big, blowing things up, and combining powers to see who gets crowned king of the mountain! In the aftermath of X of Swords, a mysterious threat has taken root on Krakoa. This ancient enemy is powerful, hungry, and all too familiar to the New Mutants, and it’ll take X-Men from all generations to stop it. Join Magik, Dani Moonstar, Karma, Warpath, Wolfsbane, Warlock, Scout, and more of your favorites in an unpredictable series that will explore uncharted territory of the new mutant status quo that kicked off in Jonathan Hickman’s groundbreaking House of X!"

So still a lot more to worry about with Doug than Illyana.

Ah.

Well then.

Thanks.
    But also:

DOUGIE NAWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    That is what she is assuming. She does not really know. There are exactly ten realms in the new Otherworld map. That cannot be by chance.
    I don't think they will be close to each other in a fight too. Each of them will be in a separate realm fighting.

I don't think Magik's opponent will go easy on her for her to protect the other combatants.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I think Brisson didn't put enough effort to his previous issues as this one, the stories were just fillers and the art poorly drawn.

Yes, this is the best issue of his run because it is a crossover although it would have been better if the rest of the New Mutants team were in it.

This issue should be retitled 'Cypher and Magik' instead of New Mutants.
    Hickman only wrote the Sunspot arc and dipped. Brisson had most of the book for himself and he gave us:
    - Flatscan drug dealers
    - Bad Leadership in Russia
    - Doxxing's bad!
    - Monster fetish woman in the jungle

I wonder if Hickman wrote this and they put Brisson's name on the cover by accident.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

There's definitely a lot of coordination between the writers as several lines from Illyana's conversation with Cyclops and Cable in New Mutants have direct payoffs in Cable #5, the rain line and the bit about Cable's sword's name.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Hickman only wrote the Sunspot arc and dipped. Brisson had most of the book for himself and he gave us:
    - Flatscan drug dealers
    - Bad Leadership in Russia
    - Doxxing's bad!
    - Monster fetish woman in the jungle

I wonder if Hickman wrote this and they put Brisson's name on the cover by accident.
    I've read hickman and Brisson. This doesn't read like Hickman, like at all.

Ironically, it was Brisson's best issue. But I'm still glad he's gone. The book lacked direction and good handle on most of the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I thought about that too, but it’s a slippery slope in storytelling. They’ve mentioned things like hardwiring the Krakoan language into everyone, but I think that’s as far as they want to go. Uploading specific skill sets would just open Pandora’s box. It’s like, oh we can all have Beast’s knowledge, and Logan’s fighting skills, and then it’s just a hive mind situation. Probably best to just ignore that and hope no one really thinks about things like that.
    Fighting is not a mental skill only. Think of karate kid wax on wax off. That was building muscle memory, the physical part that requires hours on hours of repeating
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Ironically, it was Brisson's best issue. But I'm still glad he's gone. The book lacked direction and good handle on most of the cast.
    I'm glad he's gone too. Let's hope the next writer won't be worse than him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    We'll wait and see but I doubt it is part of the rules

Astonishing Member

Yes, Doug was sort of a zombie back then, and I think you are right, he is less battle-ready in his human form.

Exodus or another powerful telepath should have downloaded or transferred swordfighting skills to Doug, it doesn't make sense to kill him. It's just bad writing.
    Opal chose the fighters and probably wants failure, would explain why a Crusader and ancient swordsman like Exodus are out and Doug is in or Psyloche a ninja is out and Storm is in