Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    Anyway surely people don't need another origin story of Strange since we already have the fairly recent animated movie?
    I seriously doubt if .05% of the marvel movie fans are even aware of that film and even fewer who have actually seen it.

On a related note, that link points to a live action Dr. Strange film. I didn't know one existed. Has anyone watched it? Is it any good?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Maybe they'll just allude to his origin?
    As long as they don't shy away from "real" magic, then that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am fine with this. What would you rather have and hour of the movie being a drunk Strange mopping about how he has destroyed his life or jump right in to some kickass magic wielding. They can go over it in a quick 5 minute flashback just fine.
    ^ This is the nail on the head. It really doesn't take much time to tell the important bits of Strange's back story (probably through flashbacks). Making him a mystery that the audience has to discover throughout the film while he does amazing things is really much more interesting than spoon feeding the audience his story. Dr Who takes the same approach with the Doctor, where he just shows up and others get involved. That way, they can play with the audience's expectations and preconceived biases about what heroes and villains do in superhero stories. And subvert them. Because Strange does walk that tight neutral line where he doesn't get hyped up on self-righteousness and idealism to the extent of most of the heroes we've seen.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I'm a huge fan of the Batman '89 formula. Start the story with the hero already in action, build a mystery, and then do a two minute flashback. The strength of most comic book origins is their simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    I seriously doubt if .05% of the marvel movie fans are even aware of that film and even fewer who have actually seen it.

On a related note, that link points to a live action Dr. Strange film. I didn't know one existed. Has anyone watched it? Is it any good?
    Bro the description for the animated film is like 2 lines under the live action one (a live action super movie which I didn't realise existed.) The animated feature is really good for Marvel and was even nominated for some useless award. Everyone should watch this animated feature especially if you like the core concept of Dr Strange and really dislike the character fumbling that has gone on over the years.