Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cable #5 - X Of Swords Part 8 - Review/Spoilers

Spoilers:

This issue picks up right after the Scott/Jean/Nathan part from X Of Swords: Creation. They are all still at The Peak, Nathan having just powered it up with his sword.

Nathan asks why there's nobody else in this big space station, and Jean says she's been wondering that too. They split up to find out where everyone else could be.

They get another call (Read this weeks' New Mutants for the first one) from Illyana, who insists that Nathan should get back to Krakoa, as he is one of the chosen Champions.

Scott offers to take Nathan's place in the tournament, but Nathan says no. Then they find something in one of the station's labs.

Meanwhile, Jean finds a "survivor". He tells her that they were attacked by some sort of metaphysical enemies, and he seems to be somewhat possessed by them. He telepathically shows her what happened, and then he kills himself by getting sucked into space.

Jean regroups with Scott and Nathan in the lab, there's a giant portal-like structure. Jean says on the other side there's a "Faceless death" called "The Vespora". Then, a bunch of four armed humanoid creatures in black space suits come out of the portal. They fight them off, while Nathan goes back to the core to remove his sword and to turn off the station.

We see him take back his sword, Jean and Scott say that they are ok now, but we don't actually see the portal close. We just see them walk out of a gate back in Krakoa. Nathan joins the rest of the swordbearers.

Jean, Scott and Illyana have a telepathic private conversation. They seem to be coming up with a plan. Jean is planning on having a lot of telepaths combine their power to push through Otherworlds psychic defenses. She also asks Illyana to watch over Nathan during the fight.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 18.31.10.jpg

Review:

I really liked this issue. I ljust ove a good family dynamic. In particular I loved seeing Scott and Jean act as parents who are looking out for their kid, with Scott asking to take Nathan's place and Jean asking Illyana to watch over Nathan.

I also liked that the Captains (and Jean) are coming up with a plan to help the champions. It shows that they are actually doing their jobs as protectors of Krakoa, and not just waiting around to see how it all turns out.

Outside of those last few pages, I'm not sure what to think of the plot. It felt a bit random. Saturnyne sent them there, with the clear intention of getting them to repower the station, but I don't really understand why.

Did she know about the "Vespora"? Scott theorizes she may have wanted to kill them by sending them there, but I don't think that's right. I guess it's possible that she has something to do with them since they are from another dimension, but it's never really made clear. Scott does mention that he needs to figure out some transportation and communication issues. Maybe they are planning on letting the Vespora loose in Arakko? I guess we'll find out next month.

The scene with the possessed crew member could’ve been straight out of a horror movie. It was creepy as hell and I loved it. I’m curious to see how much of a problem the vescora will be moving forward.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Fun issue.
    >I'm honestly not usually a Noto fan since I find his art more suited to fashion illustration and 60s period dramas... but it worked well here and it complemented Reis in New Mutants perfectly. I'm genuinely shocked at how well he did sci-fi space horror.
    >Jean and Scott and Kid Cable are so cute on their family adventure. Seeing them using their powers in concert (whether to open doors or blast bad guys) was oddly heartwarming.
    >Scott decrying using child soldiers? Yeah, he's been like that since Kid Cable resurrected him. No change there.
    >Jean and the airlock guy? That was messed up. Wonderful.
    >The bad guys are creepy. I like it.
    >Damn, that gate is spooky! Bodies merged into obsidian? Cool!
    >Blightspoke and the Vescora sound similar with the comments on decaying realities. The Vescora might also be associated with the Hothive's zombie-like Vesperidae from the New Mutants data page. Might be completely different, too. We'll hopefully see more in S.W.⨂.R.D.!

Favourite panels...
    c2.jpg
    c3.jpg
    c4.jpg
    Last edited by nx01a; 10-14-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Not to sound negative but we have yet to see the major conflict happen for him to be saying they are going to be OK, if anything i feel that things will not be OK, not 100% at least.

I really liked this scene, too.
    c1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Not to sound negative but we have yet to see the major conflict happen for him to be saying they are going to be OK, if anything i feel that things will not be OK, not 100% at least.
    If their Captain Commander goes in with the attitude that they'll lose, they probably will. You know Scott's churning out plans in his head as every new element falls into place.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

This was cute, though the plot did leave me confused in how it's gonna be connected to the tournament. Maybe it could be part of the Otherworld realm that Cable will fight in somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    This was cute, though the plot did leave me confused in how it's gonna be connected to the tournament. Maybe it could be part of the Otherworld realm that Cable will fight in somehow?
    Setting up for S.W.⨂.R.D. most likely... plus explaining how the X-Men's new big sword in the starry sky was just there for them to take without a crew.

I like the issue, though I have to admit, I'm bias when it comes to Nate, Jean and Scott acting like a family.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I thought this was really cute, and a lot of fun. I always love seeing Jean/Nate interactions, and it was great seeing most of the Summers family working together. I guess the plot elements will be relevant later on. I'm not sure how this alien stuff will factor into the overall event.

Mighty Member

This issue is not as interesting as the New Mutants and Hellions issues.

The only interesting thing is the banter between the family... words like 'dad', 'son' really brings the family together.

The line 'Doug , I had no idea you were a swordsman' was cheesy.
    Last edited by ericng; 10-14-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Amazing Member

Magik’s rain analogy I think means something special. Scott is going big here.

Mighty Member

While I think the main story wasn't all that outstanding beyond the Jean moment with the crew member. Those last few pages between Jean, Cyke and Magik were stellar.

At this rate, this tournament will wind up being "Adventures In Babysitting(Featuring Illyana)"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    At this rate, this tournament will wind up being "Adventures In Babysitting(Featuring Illyana)"
    Besides Cable and Doug I can't really see Magik babysitting anyone. They're all seasoned fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Fun issue.
    >I'm honestly not usually a Noto fan since I find his art more suited to fashion illustration and 60s period dramas... but it worked well here and it complemented Reis in New Mutants perfectly. I'm genuinely shocked at how well he did sci-fi space horror.
    >Jean and Scott and Kid Cable are so cute on their family adventure. Seeing them using their powers in concert (whether to open doors or blast bad guys) was oddly heartwarming.
    >Scott decrying using child soldiers? Yeah, he's been like that since Kid Cable resurrected him. No change there.
    >Jean and the airlock guy? That was messed up. Wonderful.
    >The bad guys are creepy. I like it.
    >Damn, that gate is spooky! Bodies merged into obsidian? Cool!
    >Blightspoke and the Vescora sound similar with the comments on decaying realities. The Vescora might also be associated with the Hothive's zombie-like Vesperidae from the New Mutants data page. Might be completely different, too. We'll hopefully see more in S.W.⨂.R.D.!

Favourite panels...

c4.jpg
    it's like a magnified needle injecting a virus into reality
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”