Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would the X-men franchise be better or worse as Magic focused franchise?

One of the greatest things about the X-men(and superheroes comic in general) is that they have the ability to tell stories in a bunch of genres. So one of the most clear thing to understand at least from me is I don't think X-men should purely be any one genre. But I do have a certain level of curiosity of how would the X-men would look if the franchise strictly avoid somethings. For example the set up at Fox made X-men what I am going to call low sci fi by the sheer nature of not being in shared universe with other marvel concepts. Some of those concepts being around would lead to more high sci fi and fantasy stories. They are some people who love the strip down focus of the X-men at Fox and you can make argument for in some ways with out shared stuff around the X-men work a little better.

The current run with X of Swords which is heavily based in magic and fantasy has gotten to me to think what if the X-men was solely based in Magic. How do you think the franchise would do? I generally think it wouldn't be that hard of a transition something like Harry Potter or Motherland Fort Salem shows that the hate and fear dynamic would work well as primary setting with magic. I do think as magic based as opposed to science/genetics based that X-men would focus more on being outcast narrative than a racial or minority narrative which could be good for the franchise. Anyways How much is magic baked in to X-men

X-men who have magic connection

Magik
    Pixie
    Moonstar
    Nightcrawler
    Wolverine
    Forge
    Storm

Enemies who are already Magic based

The Adversary
    Azazel
    Belacaso
    S'ym
    N'astirh
    Dracula
    Demon Bear
    Selene
    Zaladane
    Goblin Queen
    Wendigo
    Otherworld/Saturne

Just for fun
    Enemies/concepts who aren't magic based or slightly Magic based that would make a good transition to being pure Magic

Apocalypse and the 4 horseman
    Externals
    Church of Humanity
    The Brotherhood/Acolytes
    The Shadow King
    Hellfire Club
    Phoenix

Of course lastly some questions for discussion

1. What do you think about the use of magic in the X-men franchise? Do think it should happen or X-men should avoid it as much as possible? Do you like to see X-men crossing into fantasy stuff? Does a story like X of swords or even Excalibur turn you off from reading?

2. How do you think the X-men would do as magic focused franchise? Do you think there something that would be lost from the dna of X-men story that couldn't be told as magic based story?

3. What genre do you think the X-men is at its best in?
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-15-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

I’d be ok with it. Considering how many magical entities are in the Marvel Universe, not having them would make the X-Men look out of place (which, to be fair, they’re already starting to look out of place).

Otherwise, X-Men does fit best as sci-fi. It’s the basic concept. While none of the the science makes sense, it’s still science. Replacing everything with magic would mean retelling the entire series and not everything would fit.

That being said, Apocalypse might fit better as a magical antagonist. So would the Living Monolith.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I’d be ok with it. Considering how many magical entities are in the Marvel Universe, not having them would make the X-Men look out of place (which, to be fair, they’re already starting to look out of place).

Otherwise, X-Men does fit best as sci-fi. It’s the basic concept. While none of the the science makes sense, it’s still science. Replacing everything with magic would mean retelling the entire series and not everything would fit.

That being said, Apocalypse might fit better as a magical antagonist. So would the Living Monolith.
    It wouldn't necessarily need a retelling, They snuck the in God particles theory stuff in FF/X-men book. It wouldn't be that hard to pull a "Hey guess where the power is really coming from" if they want to make a giant shift. In Hulk they kinda pull off that trick with Green Door and the One Below All. They could go mutants powers are actual magic just keep moving on forward but like you said not everything would be a fit.

I tend to agree that X-men is better as scifi but in my little thought exercises where I go what if X-men became a proto Star Fleet or What if X-men were magic based I find that X-men holds up pretty well in other genres. I though X of swords was silly concept when I first saw it and now that I am reading the books I am like this working pretty well but if this was magic based characters this would be an amazing story.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

This is intriguing. I agree that X-Men lends themselves better to sci-fi, but I love fantasy so much I would read it.

I think certain characters would probably work better than others, but it would be interesting to see the re-imaginings of characters who wouldn't work as well normally. For example, Cable would have to be re-worked, but maybe the TO virus is some form of dark magic that has corrupted him
    Make Good Art

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I think it might fare worse if it was strictly a magic-focused franchise.

Luckily, the X-Men (as all comics, really) do incorporate and explore historical, romance, sci-fi, action/adventure and magical with a bit of horror thrown in here and there all under the umbrella of Superhero-Fantasy. For someone like myself who appreciates all genres of literature really do love that about comics in general and the X-Men specifically, which allows the readers to pick and choose which genre/book to follow depending on their taste. (Where I love and enjoy Excalibur I can see why others may not like it).
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I think a magic focused X-line would be interesting. I’d give it a shot, though I find the current line of stories more interesting/engaging.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Worse, unless it's a hard power system without boring lore.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I'd say worse, taking the X-franchise and making it one genre can't be good.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Mighty Member

I mean, not a lot of the big popular stories of X-men are magic focused. If anything, I'd say Space is more X-men's jam than magic.

I'm going to say worse because there are only 2 options. I have really enjoyed the mutant magic stuff in DoX and I always want more of Iilyana and Dr. Strange teaming up but I also want more than just that. Remender's Uncanny X-Force is my favorite 616 X-Men run ever and the Otherworld arc while still enjoyable was the weakest arc of the run and that had the most magic bend to it. Although with Apocalypse it always seems like there is some ritual or something going on which I guess is kind of a magic thing.

What I'm saying is don't take it away but keep all the other stuff too.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Its a shame that Forge hasn't used his magic in decades, Storm hasn't been linked to her own magical roots in the X-titles even longer, and Magik has stopped doing spells, using her scrying glass, or armoring up.
    As for Pixie, does she still have her soul dagger? I can't remember.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And of course it would really depend on the writers.
    Not all writers are good at Magic/Mysticism. Just like not all writers can do Sci-Fi ...or Romance ...or Action/Adventure. A really good comic-book writer should probably be excellent in one genre but at least capable enough in all/most.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Its a shame that Forge hasn't used his magic in decades, Storm hasn't been linked to her own magical roots in the X-titles even longer, and Magik has stopped doing spells, using her scrying glass, or armoring up.
    As for Pixie, does she still have her soul dagger? I can't remember.
    ???

Of those 3 things, only the scrying glass hasn't come up in the last year.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Worse. It's fine to have a book or team that dabbles in magic, or to have the occasional magical story/event, but I wouldn't move the whole operation into that area of fantasy (or any one specific area of fantasy).

No, but from time to time it helps to change a bit of style.