Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Marauders 13 review - X of Swords Part 5 *spoilers*

On Krakoa, Storm thinks about the prophecy which references her and is joined by Kitty. Storm admits that she isnt ready to take on what the sword means which is an end. Kitty offers to go with her but Storm declines. We then get an illustration of the history of Skybreaker.

Storm makes her way to Wakanda and approaches the family, asking for T'Challa, who is gone. She tells them of XOS and needing the sword. Ramona refuses as only the king can touch Skybreaker. Storm says she understands. Later Shuri comes to her with dinner and they talk. Some Wakandas' may think that this is a ploy for Krakoa to weaken Wakanda. They come to an understanding that both have duties and loyalties

Storm takes off the white costume and wears the black as she is about to be a thief. She attacks the guards and steals Skybreaker from its safe space. Shuri finds her and they fight. Storm zaps her unconcious and gets the sword. She escapes but is caught by T'Challa. He says they could have done this together bc he would do anything for her. She is cold and says she couldnt wait for him. He lets her through the Krakoan gate and has it destroyed

On Krakoa she tells Kitty that they havent lost allies but alot of work is needed to gain trust back. Magik and Logan then greet her back

Overall good showcase for Storm. Vita writes a good Ororo. I hated that Storm burned her bridges with Wakanda though after getting back in the fold. I also like that the white costume was for diplomacy and black for action, similar to Magneto's different color schemes for different roles.

Sucks that Jean wasnt in the issue! Everyone on the cover was but her
    Last edited by Havok83; 10-07-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    On Krakoa, Storm thinks about the prophecy which references her and is joined by Kitty. Storm admits that she isnt ready to take on what the sword means which is an end. Kitty offers to go with her but Storm declines. We then get an illustration of the history of Skybreaker.

Storm makes her way to Wakanda and approaches the family, asking for T'Challa, who is gone. She tells them of XOS and needing the sword. Ramona refuses as only the king can touch Skybreaker. Storm says she understands. Later Shuri comes to her with dinner and they talk. Some Wakandas' may think that this is a ploy for Krakoa to weaken Wakanda. They come to an understanding that both have duties and loyalties

Storm takes off the white costume and wears the black as she is about to be a thief. She attacks the guards and steals Skybreaker from its safe space. Shuri finds her and they fight. Storm zaps her unconcious and gets the sword. She escapes but is caught by T'Challa. He says they could have done this together bc he would do anything for her. She is cold and says she couldnt wait for him. He lets her through the Krakoan gate and has it destroyed

On Krakoa she tells Kitty that they havent lost allies but alot of work is needed to gain trust back. Magik and Logan then greet her back
    So all of this would’ve been solved if she had wrung up T’Challa? We love needless violence

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    So all of this would’ve been solved if she had wrung up T’Challa? We love needless violence
    Pretty much. They said he would be gone for days but he was back that evening. If only she had waited an hour

I loved this issue. It finally gave Storm a point, she's been meandering as a character for years. It was also implied that T'Challa had been ignoring her calls so it's not a simple as well she could've waited.

I didn't read Prisoner X so this was the first thing I've read from Vita and I really liked it! They really nailed the emotional conflict here. Very nicely written issue, even if the plot has its contrivances.

LOOOOOOOVEEEEED IT!! Storm didn't burn any bridges really she just burned up a relationship in which everytime wakanda needed her she dropped everything and went to their aid and the ONE time she asked for something and told them she couldn't wait they were more worried about their own people, and rightfully than her and hers. And so she decided then and there it's time she put her people first and like she has had to either deal with it or not in the past it's on them to deal with it now. They will either rebuild their trust or they won't but they at least should understand she did what she had to do much like them. She chose her people. LOVED IT. 100/10

I also love that ultimately Storm is a Protector which is true. From day one trying to grab peter when he jumped out the plane or even further back when she was a goddess of the plains, she never asked for anything she just protected. Like a true goddess. I also LOVED that opening paragraph. She just has a power people can feel and not that weather stuff. lol

One more edit, they chose the perfect images to show what Storm has been threw and how far she is willing to go to protect others. The little girl version of her making it rain felt majestic. And the N'dare white hair retcon is everything.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-07-2020 at 06:42 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    I didn't read Prisoner X so this was the first thing I've read from Vita and I really liked it! They really nailed the emotional conflict here. Very nicely written issue, even if the plot has its contrivances.
    I completely forgot it wasn't Duggan! It certainly didn't read like Duggan. Was good though - T'challa really needs to take his phone when he goes on his bullshit Jason Aaron missions to Hell/the future/Assberg/wherever.

Also, would have been way better for him if he hadn't turned up at the end, 'cos now all the blame for Skybreaker being taken will fall on him as much as it will Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Pretty much. They said he would be gone for days but he was back that evening. If only she had waited an hour
    No, Storm said she called but he wasn’t answering. She didn’t know when he would be back and didn’t have time to just wait around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    No, Storm said she called but he wasn’t answering. She didn’t know when he would be back and didn’t have time to just wait around.
    Yeah, like I said she at least knew that he wouldnt be around for a few days based on not hearing back from him and what his mother told her. She did have 2-3 days to wait but ultimately it was moot as BP came back much earlier than expected

Loved this issue. Storm was a queen.

Yeah, like I said she at least knew that he wouldnt be around for a few days based on not hearing back from him and what his mother told her. She did have 2-3 days to wait but ultimately it was moot as BP came back much earlier than expected
    She was told he would be returning in a “few days.” Storm isn’t wrong at all to not want to take a chance when the world is at stake.

I dug it. As someone who never liked the Storm/BP pairing, it was nice having her just roll through him.

I really enjoyed this issue. I liked how Vita handled everyone. It was all very nuanced. I'm really looking forward to his New Mutants.

I've never been this invested in a comic before, I've adored what Coates has done with Storm and rebuilding her relationship with T'Challa and Wakanda so reading this issue was heartbreaking. Vita really showed their stuff, if they never get to write Storm again it'll be a crime cuz the emotion and tension never slipped and the action was amazing, the only thing I didn't like was the obvious ooc reactions from Shuri and T'Challa not answering, but something tells me this wasn't their choice.

I would summarize it as being painfully beautiful, if Vita didn't have such a good understanding of Storm and sucessfully write this emotionally driven issue it would've been plain painful, but I'm not convinced putting that wedge there was worth it.

I enjoyed the issue. It was good at showing how much was at stake here for the mutants, how much they are having to sacrifice for this battle. It's not just another BIG fight, and then things are back to normal. There are repercussions to what is happening, even before it truly happens! It will take a huge toll on our mutants, even if they ultimately (and likely) win.