Page 25 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

The entire point of Suicide Squad seems to be the villains being disguised as notable Justice League members, similar to Marvel's Dark Avengers from some years past. So if Conner is sporting an uncharacteristically conservative hairstyle and a more flashy superhero costume, I'm pretty sure that's the point; Waller wants him to look at least superficially more like Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    This was never really the case. Media always tried it's best to cater to their audience. The only thing that's changed is what media considers it's audience now has expanded.
    In my mind, there's a difference between media trying to court an audience vs. people taking to the internet to tell the media what they want to see and how it should be presented.

So here's what happened to the best of my understanding.

DC had big plans to do "5G" line-wide reset of the timeline, putting character's debut on a more or less real timeline. The main DC heroes (Batman, Supes) would be aged up and legacy heroes would take over the mantles. Along with this there was to be a "Generations" five issue miniseries that would show this new unified timeline, the first issue already solicited right before the COVID-19 shutdown happened. And then we heard from BleedingCool that there was going to be a two month Convergence-style filler event to buy some time for the creative teams to get their 5G books up and running.

After the shutdown, Didio's exit, and the end of the DC/Diamond relationship, all of this goes into flux. Plans are made to cut down on the entire DC line, the layoffs occur, and more resources become invested into DC's digital service. The Generations miniseries gets retooled into "Generations: Shattered" and "Generations: Forged" (two one shots that will release in January and February) The two month filler event looks to be completely scrapped, but instead, 5G will, in effect, take over that timeframe as an alternate future style event with the main titles on pause until March.

My thoughts as a reader, it's really hard to look at this knowing so much of the inside baseball but I have to admit there are many solid creative teams behind a lot of these books, and the art across the event looks gorgeous. I'm also really happy that there a bunch of new , diverse names in the mix, and really hope to see some of those creators on regular DC books come 2021. My big question here though, is what's the endgame? This event couldn't have been scrapped completely because of the work already put in, but the timeline is confusing. Some of the Future State timelines take place only a few years into a possible future while you have books like the Black Adam story that will occur in the 853rd century. I fully expect some characters like Yara (already love her) and Luke as Batman to show up in the DC main timeline soon, but as for the rest of these stories...why show us possible futures for books already coming out. For example, Superman is going to be involved in some event that results from his secret identity being revealed which will result in his trip to Warworld, but if I as a reader of the superman monthly series know that, why would I keep pulling the series for the next few years if I know where all the pieces will end up. To put it another way, if I know the ending to the Superman story that can occur five years from now or so, what incentive do I have to keep buying the monthly book?

Overall, a mixed bag but cautiously optimistic. It would be a shame for the creators involved to only work on the DC books for these two months so I hope many of them come back.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm pretty sure we had/have some characters who were from the US (and I don't mean, just FBI/CIA style agents). I know for sure that some are from the UK (Blake and Mortimer - even if funnily enough, neither is a Brit). However, as far as I can tell, Franco-Belgian B.D. is even more confidential than U.S. comics are nowadays. Some series are "legendary" (such as Asterix, whose future is now in discussion, since both its creators have died) but I don't think that any ever achieved the highs of characters like DC's or Marvel's. Could be wrong however.
    Tintin and Asterix are some of the best selling comic book series of all time. Idk if W.I.T.C.H. counts as french or not french since it had creators from Italy but it's cult classic thanks to it's animated adaptation. They might not be considered well-known by you if you aren't in Francophone spaces but I know for a fact characters like Titeuf, Tintin etc are well known in Francophone countries. It helps that people grew up watching animated adaptations of some of these books.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

So apparently Jame Tynion’s revealed that while future state is not binding it’s influence will be felt in his Batman series and a second Batman related book that he is writing in March where we will apparently see the origins of The Magistrate that are the villains in the Batman line of future state books. It was in his newsletter which there is a link to in this Bleedingcool article.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/plan...atman-in-2021/

What this means for the rest of Future State? Well I guess that if stuff is popular that creative teams can take pieces from it but I’m also assuming that since it’s a future we will never get to that those hints and teases won’t work the same way.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Tynion talks about the upcoming in-continuity stories and how they'll affect Future State and vice versa.

You'll be reading a lot about The Magistrate, and a character named Peacekeeper One in those Future State books, but it won't be until March and beyond that you see their origins in the real, present-day Gotham City. Future State is meant to be a glimpse into a possible future of the DCU, filled with lots of easter eggs that will hint at (but not bind) the direction of the line moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    More like the salvaged remnants of it. The original 5G was meant to be long term, now it’s just a quick two month filler event.
    It may have been meant to be long term, but it was not going to take over the main continuity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Tynion talks about the upcoming in-continuity stories and how they'll affect Future State and vice versa.
    I was disappointed with the lack of hinted at things from Futures End coming into play so I hope there is more thought in this one as to coming up with cool things that pop back up in future stories.

I think if anything this lets us know that Future State is not 100% controlling on the books that we will see in March, just because of the uncertainty of the future but also because some writers may not pick up those pieces, but that in some stories we might see the beginning of how we get to the events taking place in Future State. What that means exactly who knows, for all we know it could be small little hints of what could be and it ends up avoidable or maybe entire new characters show up.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Seemed like the focus was more to Jackson, but Andy could have good parts in there. Like a sidekick of some kind.
    She's confirmed to be his protege in solicits.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think it's the "design" per se that's made her a breakout. It's what(or whom) she represents. This is the age of 'shipping and fanfic and reaction videos to things years before they come out and wish fulfillment where media has to live up to our expectations rather than we as passive viewers/readers experience it before becoming involved. Not judging - people enjoy what they enjoy, but that seems to be the shift in media.
    I think a good costume helps. I mean, it seems like 80% of the reason Punchline is catching on, along with Spider-Gwen or why Marvel even published a Gwenpoole title.

With Wonder Woman retconned to debuting back in WW2, thinking the GL ring she's sporting is Alan's rather than any of the Corps members.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    With Wonder Woman retconned to debuting back in WW2, thinking the GL ring she's sporting is Alan's rather than any of the Corps members.
    Now this makes me wonder which team she feels closer to .

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    We don't. The weirdest thing is this notion we all walk around naked.
    I am extremely shocked and will now cry in mime with my camembert, my beret and my baguette.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't amputee Flash a villain on Future State Suicide Squad?
    Idk if she's a villain if only b/c Conner is a part of that team as well, and isn't Clayface supposed to be good now or did he go back to being bad ...but I guess Clayface and Conner could be bad in the future.

Either way, after reading the solicits, I felt like maybe the team is full of an amagalmation of heroes, villains, antiheroes, and vigilantes, that Amanda Waller has masquerading as prime earth Justice League so she can remake earth 3 in her image.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    We don't. The weirdest thing is this notion we all walk around naked.
    but you wax right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now this makes me wonder which team she feels closer to .
    if this is 5G I'd say it's still JLA since that wacky timeline has 35 years compared to JSA's... Superman's Superboy tenure... 6 years?