Page 32 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But those guys did not die in space-when Hal went nuts he left them enough power to survive or at least reach a planet.
    Or so he thought. He didn't know where all those Lanterns were, whether they were in a pitched battle against a strong foe or many light years away from the nearest planet.

Maybe he did leave all of them enough power to survive. Maybe some of them were in bad situations and didn't have enough juice left to reach safety.

There was an arc with Kyle where he meets one of the surviving Lanterns, I think it was when Kyle was lost in space following Zero Hour and blowing up Oa. And my memory is super fuzzy but I don't think all of those ex-Lanterns' friends made it out alive. Could be wrong, of course, and I'm not trying to drag Hal through the mud here. But there's no way he could have had a clue what kind of situation every Lantern was in, and how much power they'd need to get out of it.

Man, this is making me miss Parallax Hal. I know it's not a popular opinion here but Hal was never more interesting or compelling as he was as (pre-space bug) Parallax.

And I had no idea he was the one who sealed everyone on the other side of the Source Wall. I had stopped reading around the start of that whole story.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Man, this is making me miss Parallax Hal. I know it's not a popular opinion here but Hal was never more interesting or compelling as he was as (pre-space bug) Parallax.
    Hal as Parallax was dead to me the moment he killed Kilowog. Snapping Sinestro's neck is one thing, but vaporizing Kilowog? I didn't care about his motivations, Hal became an irredeemable monster to me by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hal as Parallax was dead to me the moment he killed Kilowog. Snapping Sinestro's neck is one thing, but vaporizing Kilowog? I didn't care about his motivations, Hal became an irredeemable monster to me by that point.
    I forget how did that get retconned? Did Hal *actually* kill Kilowag or was it just a fakeout?

Ultimate Member

Or so he thought. He didn't know where all those Lanterns were, whether they were in a pitched battle against a strong foe or many light years away from the nearest planet.

Maybe he did leave all of them enough power to survive. Maybe some of them were in bad situations and didn't have enough juice left to reach safety.

There was an arc with Kyle where he meets one of the surviving Lanterns, I think it was when Kyle was lost in space following Zero Hour and blowing up Oa. And my memory is super fuzzy but I don't think all of those ex-Lanterns' friends made it out alive. Could be wrong, of course, and I'm not trying to drag Hal through the mud here. But there's no way he could have had a clue what kind of situation every Lantern was in, and how much power they'd need to get out of it.

And I had no idea he was the one who sealed everyone on the other side of the Source Wall. I had stopped reading around the start of that whole story.
    Some made it to a planet and formed a group to go after Hal0I don't think they ever did. One of them was just added to the GLC during the John going after Star Sapphire storyline. That will never get reprinted like most of that pre Kyle run.

Injustice Superman became irredeemable to me when he killed Mogo. Everything else he did but that was forgivable.

A very understandable opinion.

For me, I liked Hal as the sympathetic villain. Not a redeemable one, but one who's motivations were understandable, who's emotional distress felt real and relatable. I thought a League insider who went bad made for some terribly good drama with potential for plenty more. I've never found Hal that interesting on his own, he's a bland character with the good fortune of being in some great, amazing stories with some amazing writers, but Hal himself is roughly as interesting as a wet blanket, for me (again, a minority opinion around here). So I felt no loss when he broke bad, but I found him very compelling as Parallax.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Heh Johns GL run was the first complete run I ever read, so I’ve never been able to understand why some view Hal as boring. When I eventually went back to read Emerald Twilight and then the stuff with Kyle I thought that was the boring part I had to slog through to get to Johns run. But then I also think Jurgens is a boring writer so stuff like Zero Hour never really connected with me the way it seems to have with others. I liked Final Night though!

A very understandable opinion.

For me, I liked Hal as the sympathetic villain. Not a redeemable one, but one who's motivations were understandable, who's emotional distress felt real and relatable. I thought a League insider who went bad made for some terribly good drama with potential for plenty more. I've never found Hal that interesting on his own, he's a bland character with the good fortune of being in some great, amazing stories with some amazing writers, but Hal himself is roughly as interesting as a wet blanket, for me (again, a minority opinion around here). So I felt no loss when he broke bad, but I found him very compelling as Parallax.
    For me I lost all sympathy for that version of the character when he vaporized Kilowog. After that he was too far gone for me to care about anymore. But I'm like Vordan where I'm coming at it after being introduced to Hal as the Johns run, so it's like that is to me what Injustice Superman is to normal Superman (as Gaius alludes).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Heh Johns GL run was the first complete run I ever read, so I’ve never been able to understand why some view Hal as boring. When I eventually went back to read Emerald Twilight and then the stuff with Kyle I thought that was the boring part I had to slog through to get to Johns run. But then I also think Jurgens is a boring writer so stuff like Zero Hour never really connected with me the way it seems to have with others. I liked Final Night though!
    Final Night was the only time Parallax Hal really worked for me and that’s because it was Hal reflecting on how far he’d fallen. Aside from the contrivance it took to get him there, most of the time pre-space bug retcon Parallax just came off as just a cackling villain/Vader-wannabe.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-25-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Lol. It’s obvious none of you read Spectre Hal.

Now that was a pain to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Final Night was the only time Parallax Hal really worked for me and that’s because it was Hal reflecting on how far he’d fallen. Aside from the contrivance it took to get him there, most of the time pre-space bug retcon Parallax just came off as just a cackling villain/Vader-wannabe.
    Exactly this. I prefer Hal as GL, so I'm glad they dropped the ball so badly with Parallax Hal because if he had been written as a genuine anti-hero, a character whose OP constantly challenged the heroes' and readers' ethics about use of power it could have actually worked. Instead we mostly got evil grin, power hungry madman.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Exactly this. I prefer Hal as GL, so I'm glad they dropped the ball so badly with Parallax Hal because if he had been written as a genuine anti-hero, a character whose OP constantly challenged the heroes' and readers' ethics about use of power it could have actually worked. Instead we mostly got evil grin, power hungry madman.
    Yeah, I don't see how DC expected any Hal fans to accept Parallax after he vaporized Kilowog.

Newsarama asked DC's Batman group editor Ben Abernathy about the next Batman's mystery identity, and he doubled down on writer John Ridley's vague teases - but added another piece to the puzzle.

"To paraphrase John Ridley, there's a 48% chance he's a person of color," Abernathy says. "I can't reveal who he is though."

While he can't reveal who the Next Batman star is, he can say when you'll see him - and it's well before 'Future State' begins in January.

"I'm excited for what I hope will be a genuine surprise for readers," the editor continues. "By the end of this year, the new Batman will have already appeared out-of-costume somewhere in the Bat group of titles."
    Okay so it's pretty obviously Tim Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Okay so it's pretty obviously Tim Fox.

It's kind of ironic that people were so hyped for Luke to be Batman when it turns out to be the one member of the Fox family people have probably forgotten about.

Wonder Woman’s story seems to imply Batman is either dead or missing.