Page 40 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Katana & Black Lightning (as black lightning) preview from Future State! I already call Katana Shogun Katana or Bankai Katana, I'm still trynna think of a name for black Lightning Black Lightning. is Blackity-Black Lightning too on the nose?

also, Sumit Kumar looks like he's doing his THING on these pencils. can't wait to see the final art and how he does my boy Signal!
    She called him "Raijin" enough that it's probably what he'd go by, or at least joke that maybe it's finally applicable. Hell, I'm pretty sure the final lettered version of this panel will be to the effect of

"Raijin... What have you become...?"

And depending on if she's going solo or not, I can also see her going by "Ronin" because they get romanticized in western media and DC would love playing up the edgy samurai loner bit with Tatsu.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She called him "Raijin" enough that it's probably what he'd go by, or at least joke that maybe it's finally applicable. Hell, I'm pretty sure the final lettered version of this panel will be to the effect of

And depending on if she's going solo or not, I can also see her going by "Ronin" because they get romanticized in western media and DC would love playing up the edgy samurai loner bit with Tatsu.
    i believe they said she's leading the Outsiders, that's why I'm going with "Shogun" Katana. Black Raijin could work, I think it's a solid lil nickname. I don't think they're changing their names in-book tho, Future State doesn't seem like the proper setting for that.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

i believe they said she's leading the Outsiders, that's why I'm going with "Shogun" Katana. Black Raijin could work, I think it's a solid lil nickname. I don't think they're changing their names in-book tho, Future State doesn't seem like the proper setting for that.
    Eh, it's an alternate future setting (or that's what 20+ years of reading has conditioned me to accepting it as) so any changes are not going to mess with the brand. I don't think BL will change, but I can see her going by Shogun or something. "Katana" isn't the best name, and I like Tatsu. Leader or no, I still expect DC to think "Ronin" sounds cooler despite "Shogun" making a lot more sense contextually.

Eh, it's an alternate future setting (or that's what 20+ years of reading has conditioned me to accepting it as) so any changes are not going to mess with the brand. I don't think BL will change, but I can see her going by Shogun or something. "Katana" isn't the best name, and I like Tatsu. Leader or no, I still expect DC to think "Ronin" sounds cooler despite "Shogun" making a lot more sense contextually.
    alternate future or no, there is a clear theme of playing on brand recognition and legacy. whether people want to accept it or not Future State is meant to have ripple effects in the direction to come, it just doesn't seem thematically resonate to go "Katana's big thing is she's not Katana" when the whole thing is about establishing and heightening these characters' brands. Maybe Katana isn't the best name but it's the name she's been ecognized by with little to no issue for decades. Her power comes from her Katana, so she's Katana, Bruce Wayne is inspired by a bat, so he's Batman; I don't thinking Ronin or Shogun do anything for her that Katana doesn't. besides, superhero names are often silly anyway and Ronin or Shogun aren't exactly leagues better in the stereotype name department if that's the big offense of the name Katana.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

This reminds me of the whole "Raijin" from Black Hole in Flash who turned out to be...nothing. Was he just some duded possessed by Grodd? I forget. It was a total waste though.

alternate future or no, there is a clear theme of playing on brand recognition and legacy. whether people want to accept it or not Future State is meant to have ripple effects in the direction to come, it just doesn't seem thematically resonate to go "Katana's big thing is she's not Katana" when the whole thing is about establishing and heightening these characters' brands. Maybe Katana isn't the best name but it's the name she's been ecognized by with little to no issue for decades. Her power comes from her Katana, so she's Katana, Bruce Wayne is inspired by a bat, so he's Batman; I don't thinking Ronin or Shogun do anything for her that Katana doesn't. besides, superhero names are often silly anyway and Ronin or Shogun aren't exactly leagues better in the stereotype name department if that's the big offense of the name Katana.
    Oh, I don't think Ronin or Shogun are inherently better. Of all names discussed, I only like Raijin and even then it's more of a nickname specific to those two.

I just also do not trust DC to be anything more than a blunt instrument in their implementation of any idea.

Hell, I'm just glad she doesn't have a teen sidekick in Future State named Wakizashi. I trust them that little these days.

Katana is fine. I've yet to see a better name for her and I think that elevating her brand would require actual stories to be told with her and not making her mute in adaptions. Nothing about her current brand or visual is holding her back.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...-future-state/

So do we know why DC is changing the synopsis for these books (in regards to their collection), like did the stories change or were the summaries old iterations, I wouldn't question if some of the new summaries weren't so drastically different in some capacity but maybe they're just hiding the plot details since the previous synopsis gave away too much...

I'm pretty sure the TPB descriptions are outdated, because it calls Wonder Woman "Maria Flor" instead of Yara Flor.

I mean, Batman for 15 years or they go the Aqua route and trade off. Batman appears to be the only one with a costume change and whether it's Luke or Tim they're significantly older than the rest (especially if it's Tim) so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
    Tim is in Robin Eternal - and the solicit says he dies! So he can't be Batman.
    Ronin is an identity used by several Marvel heroes, so I can't see DC using the name.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'm pretty sure the TPB descriptions are outdated, because it calls Wonder Woman "Maria Flor" instead of Yara Flor.

Tim is in Robin Eternal - and the solicit says he dies! So he can't be Batman.
    Ronin is an identity used by several Marvel heroes, so I can't see DC using the name.
    Tim FOX, Luke's older brother, not Drake. the popular theory nowadays is that Tim may be the Fox to take up the cowl not Luke.

currently following:

This is a great example for why they shouldn't have added another major Bat character with the name "Tim."

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    This is a great example for why they shouldn't have added another major Bat character with the name "Tim."
    well, to be fair, Tim Fox came first

currently following:

Im very excited for some of these. Love some of the designs (Yaras suit is one of the best new costumes I've seen in years) and some of the story bits are interesting. Gonns have to make some fan art.

well, to be fair, Tim Fox came first
    Son of a... TIL.

I just realized this promotional photo only showcases 4 new characters, well technically Red X would only be new to the comics.

But it got me thinking, for all the talk about the future and legacy, there's not really a lot of new characters that were created who will play significant roles in these books, I would say there is about 10 or less, with some of these characters already existing but waiting to be introduced in the present like the new Cheshire (who will most likely pop up in the Catwoman and the Strays arc) or Peacekeeper One and the Magistrate.

I guess where I'm getting at is I expect to see most if not all the new characters to pop up in the present eventually, especially the ones in the promotional poster ...I mean duh for Yara (and Red X) but those 2 speedster are definitely coming.

Or I could be reading too much into this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There is also that old mini by Miller that gets new editions every 5-10 years.