Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So anything is possible so long as it’s successful I’d think.
    Well I don’t think it’s unheard to leave something on the shelf for a while and then go back to it by adding another issue to the line. No reason to cancel it outright if it still has potential.

Hmmm... seems a bit all over the place but I enjoyed Convergence and this seems quite similar as others have pointed out already. Definitely interested in some of these. Great to see Jo as part of the line-up of JL and I spy Madam Xanadu as well, which is always great.

Superman of Metropolis
    Dark Detective
    Kara Zor-El - Superwoman
    The Next Batman
    Aquaman (Future State)
    Justice League (Future State)
    Superman : Worlds at War
    Immortal Wonder Woman
    Legion of Super-Heroes (Future State)
    Wonder Woman (Future State)
    Superman/Wonder Woman (Future State)
    Teen Titans (Future State)
    Shazam (Future State)

That's a lot more titles than what I expected to buy come January. By a very wide margin. But I'm more intruigued by all of this than anything hinting at the status quo ante at DC, so I need to support those, perish my wallet

All of this looks awesome. It’s finally something we haven’t seen before. I know that this kind of thinking scares the fear-of-anything-new comic fandom, but I see it as a breath of fresh air.

The regurgitation of the same old characters/stories is just repugnant. The same fans will cry out for “good stories” but fail to accept that there’s only so much that can be done with the same characters for nearly half a century. Sometimes they need a break. New characters and viewpoints add variety. I have no idea where these stories will go for the two months but that’s what I find so exciting.

I'd be happier with new characters if they didn't remove old characters and hand off their names to the new ones. Let them have their own code names and make them great, just like the early batch did. But, of course, from business/IP perspectives that doesn't fly. Also the lack of accessibility to floppies for casual readers and that it's not a mainstream market anymore make that a hard sell. But it really does feel like coattails for newbies that way, and it's bound to draw resentment from existing fanbase when their characters are removed from play so someone else can use the name they built. And betrays a (probably reasonable) lack of faith for the new characters to stand on their own without the weight a better-known name. I also get as attached to supporting casts and heroes often, so there's that, too.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-16-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Technically, but there's a reason most people refer to Miles Morales as Miles. To cut down on confusion. And the original Power Girl came back in Doomsday Clock. I guess this confirms Manhattan let both of them out of the dimension they were left trapped in in Deathstroke.

Really, I thin Tanya should get a new code name to differentiate her from Karen. There's not really any reason for her to be called Power Girl and it would reduce confusion.
    And thus my objection to the character would vanish, (as it was painfully obvious Spears was created to replace nu52 PG who replaced classic PG, though here I think the plan was to kill off any semblance of the OG character for Spears as PG).

Still, that Spears appears in this and OG Power Girl doesn't says a lot about how much DC values each character.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    This discussion I'm seeing made me remember this tweet:

Attachment 101481

Here I am excited about John Stewart, Jo, Vixen, Tanya and yet after reading this tweet, I'm like should I or anyone really be praising DC, giving them credit, saying they took a step forward when in 2 months, everything will be back to normal, the books they'll be publishing will continue to look how they've always looked, be written by the same types of people, and feature the same characters we've already seen.

So yeah while I'm happy to see some characters I like pop up, I can't give credit to DC when the only things that will survive out of this is a couple of characters and some storylines that will be used just to put easter eggs into current arcs to make it seem like reading Future State isn't waste of anyone's time.
    Wouldn’t be too sure of that. Future State very much seems like DC trying out new talent. Some of the books will be bad and some of the talent won’t be given mainline books it’s true, but some of them will. Gene Yang and Mark Russel have stuck around for example. We know that Geoffrey Thorne seemingly has a Vixen mini in the works, and since it wasn’t announced for Future State, I’d wager that will be part of the mainline.

Plus we don’t know how this will sell. If it flops like most of ANAD Marvel did, yeah you aren’t going to see a lot of these characters again. If it does well? Maybe they’ll keep it around as an imprint, or make it part of that upcoming DC Universe Originals line.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    And thus my objection to the character would vanish, (as it was painfully obvious Spears was created to replace nu52 PG who replaced classic PG, though here I think the plan was to kill off any semblance of the OG character for Spears as PG).

Still, that Spears appears in this and OG Power Girl doesn't says a lot about how much DC values each character.
    She showed up in one page and hasn’t been seen in any of the other promotional material for this (temporary) status quo... if anything DC doesn’t value either of them. I think the sidelining of OG Powergirl has more to do with an increased focus on a grown up Supergirl and writers not knowing how to keep both of them relevant at the same time.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 10-16-2020 at 08:05 AM.

But Supergirl is NOT grown up in the comics. She was still at high school in Rebirth. It's only the Arrowverse version that's an adult.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Conner is...not looking good unfortunately. That goofy Johns era crew cut and I'm not really sure what's going on with that costume. He should always have the high fade and a jacket.
    He looks SUPER generic, amd could use a different haircut, jacket, and gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I feel like every title is JL-based
    There are multiple different Justice League teams, and the Justice Society hasn’t really been give a ton of spotlight so JL is the biggest team right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    There are multiple different Justice League teams, and the Justice Society hasn’t really been give a ton of spotlight so JL is the biggest team right now.
    Yet, everyone is inspired by the Big 7, even the Suicide Squad.

If I can be honest I kind of like the look of Old man Clark on the variant cover of Superman vs Imperious Lex over his chained up look on Worlds at War...also I’m curious why that series is the only one that is three issues and coming out in March. It’s a bit suspicious when even Next Batman at 4 issues will finish up in February.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    But Supergirl is NOT grown up in the comics. She was still at high school in Rebirth. It's only the Arrowverse version that's an adult.
    I meant cause they’re aging her up for this event so the chances of seeing OG Powergirl decreased. Though in general I don’t think DC knows how to push both of them at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yet, everyone is inspired by the Big 7, even the Suicide Squad.
    Yeah, poor Justice Society. At least they’re getting some spotlight in Injustice and Stargirl.