Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Read Batman, Superman, WW and Flash. I can't say I was impressed by any of them despite the fact that I'm not all aganist the idea of them.

And honestly, they need to stop making flash stories starring Barry all about Wally. Not everyone is a big fan of him or even care about him and they need to either give him a book of his own or simply let him freak off.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

it appears Future State is a flash of hypertime of the new possible future created from Wonder Woman's victory:

given what happens to Diana at the end of Death Metal, which I believe sets up her Future State storyline, it looks like Immortal Wonder Woman may be the book to watch the most closely.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'm so mad at my DC comics being stuck in the Uk for who knows how long... I want to read my FS stories already ! And the last LoSH issue by Bendis !

Alright, Today is the start of a brief future. I’ll be honest in that I really only picked up Next Batman, Superman of Metropolis, and Wonder Woman just to try out the new heroes who are assuming the mantles of the Justice League....plus based on the description I had no interest in Flash, but I might swing back around for Swamp Thing and Harley Quinn eventually.

Now I don’t mean this in a bad way but from having read these new Trinity I can say really only Tim Fox (Jace) feels like he has his act together. At this moment, he feels like he has honestly trained and become Batman and does a good job at stopping criminals but also making sure they don’t die needlessly under the control of the magistrate. As for Jon and Yara you get the feeling that they are still getting their bearings, they are competent but a tad inexperienced and aggressive. Without spoiling Jon thinks he’s doing good until he realizes he screwed up royally and Yara is shown to have very little patience. However both are written enjoyably to me and it’s pretty clear these are supposed to be starting points in their careers before they have their act more together in Justice League.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's not really misleading, everything said applied to both characters; that's like textbook ambiguity...
    Its purposely misleading readers. Switching from Batman to Luke with no visual distinction, referring to members of both their family like their “sister” and “mom”. It’s not simply ambiguous, its clearly a Fox, but it’s intentionally misleading you to believe it’s Luke. Not just with the narration but with the other characters dialogue too. If DC didn’t tell us already that it was Tim no one would think it was him here. As the scenes frame the internal narration as coming from Batman and then Luke. Which is clearly intentional to throw readers off the trail, DC just already spoiled it which undercuts this build up to the reveal.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-05-2021 at 08:00 AM.

I think Wonder Woman and Batman were the best this week. I liked Superman, but I honestly think they should have given this story 4 issues like Batman gets. (WW too, but that's mostly because I want to see more Yara.)

Harley Quinn was also better than I expected. Though Flash and Swamp Thing didn't do it for me. Not because it was technically bad, I just didn't care for the story being told

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

I really enjoyed Yara Flor
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Having only picked up Harley Quinn & Batman out of habit, and not reading the Death Metal storyline, I'm feeling a bit out of sorts for this new universe/rebirth/new 52/etc reboot thing that's happened. So many references to his Magistrate thing but it's so "in the shadows" that I'm having a hard time getting interested in the world-building. Plus the Batman book contains 3 separate stories in it, making me think that DC doesn't have enough faith in its new Batman to carry a book on their own. As for Harley, it was interesting, but it feels like a prelude to another Suicide Squad style book than a true Harley solo book.

As this time, I think I'll be dipping out on Future State as a whole and return if the Batman and Harley books go back to something more like their previous books.

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    Having only picked up Harley Quinn & Batman out of habit, and not reading the Death Metal storyline, I'm feeling a bit out of sorts for this new universe/rebirth/new 52/etc reboot thing that's happened. So many references to his Magistrate thing but it's so "in the shadows" that I'm having a hard time getting interested in the world-building. Plus the Batman book contains 3 separate stories in it, making me think that DC doesn't have enough faith in its new Batman to carry a book on their own. As for Harley, it was interesting, but it feels like a prelude to another Suicide Squad style book than a true Harley solo book.

As this time, I think I'll be dipping out on Future State as a whole and return if the Batman and Harley books go back to something more like their previous books.
    You're thinking about this wrong.

Firstly, this isn't a reboot, it's a two month jump into a possible future. Parts of it will be used to informed the relaunch in March.

Secondly, the fact that Batman has back ups means DC has more faith in it to carry other books. That's the point of books having back ups. It's outsiders and Arkham Knight that they didn't think could stand on its own (and they'd be right)

Thirdly, Harley Quinn isn't part of the Suicide Squad anymore. This Future State book might inform her solo in March though. She's trying to be more of a hero in it.

Extraordinary Member

Future State: Green Lantern #2 was solicited as having a backup story by Christopher Priest and Dexter Soy but the ad that ran in the DC books this week says it's written by Venditti:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Future State: Green Lantern #2 was solicited as having a backup story by Christopher Priest and Dexter Soy but the ad that ran in the DC books this week says it's written by Venditti:

I think it's only for the main story that the writer/artist are announced ? I haven't been able to read any FS with my comics being stuck in the UK, but aren't the back-ups drawn by other artists anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I think it's only for the main story that the writer/artist are announced ? I haven't been able to read any FS with my comics being stuck in the UK, but aren't the back-ups drawn by other artists anyway ?
    It’s incorrect. Th second half of the John Stewart story is the main story and the other two are the backups.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    No, they solicited the full issue:

Future State: Green Lantern #2
    "The Last Lanterns" written by GEOFFREY THORNE
    "The Last Lanterns" art by TOM RANEY
    "Teen Lantern" written by JOSIE CAMPBELL
    "Teen Lantern" art by ANDIE TONG
    "Hal Jordan" written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
    "Hal Jordan" art by DEXTER SOY
    cover by CLAYTON HENRY
    card stock variant cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    ON SALE 2/9/21
    $5.99 US | 48 PAGES | 2 OF 2 | FC | DC
    CARD STOCK COVER $6.99 US

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    It’s incorrect. Th second half of the John Stewart story is the main story and the other two are the backups.
    Sorry, are you saying the ad is incorrect or the solicit was incorrect?
    Last edited by Hypo; 01-06-2021 at 10:16 AM.

I read Batman, Superman, WW and The Flash.

WW was very good, extremely fun read. Jones' art is fantastic. The new girl has a fun personality and dialogues were good.

The rest were kinda bland IMHO. Very standard storytelling. The Flash one was kinda lame. No risks were taken.

What was that event where everything was set 5 years in the future? That one had some highlights that make this one look real bad so far.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

I bought Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Swamp Thing yesterday. I'd rank them as Batman, WW, Superman and Swamp Thing.