Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I don't need to see a Superman from Rio de Janeiro, a Batman from spain, a Flash from Angola or a french Aquaman.

But what is funny, is that the Green Lantern rings can't go anywhere that is not in the US. What that isn't a norwegian, japanese or australian with enough will power and courage to wield the ring?
    Well we had a Vietnamese green lantern in Green Lantern Legacy. Her grandson was Vietnamese American though. Idk if China's Lantern corps is legit
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    This jut makes me wonder if French or Brazilian or Swedish or Laotian comics have American main characters or if their fans expect or pressure them to. DC is chiefly an American (US) company with an American fanbase. If they want to expand, that's a sound business move, but if they're going to do so in the comics, then one would expect non-English language to go along with those new characters. Personally, I'd start with Spanish, due to proximity. I completely get why British characters (Canadian, etc.) would be a step before that because of an English-as-a-first-language potential customer-base. If they are doing it on the movie/tv side, it might be better to create characters specifically for that, and with their own codenames.

And yes, they are bound to get cultural details wrong the further afield they go. Which is probably a reason for so many fictional countries. Well, that at the need for them to be taken over by dictators, at war when convenient, etc.

Representing the diversity with in the country is good, though. But I'd do it by having a new non-white-but-American Wonder Woman sidekick (who doesn't have to Wonder Girl, and both Wonder Girls are too old for the sidekick role and should be independent by now, anyway) who went to Themyscira to learn or gets powers as Cassie originally did (by asking) or some such. Or by having all new heroes. Which DC just won't do, presumably because it's really hard to sell them to old fans. I still think new heroes in a disconnected universe (mostly each on own universe with self-contained continuity) in OGNs would be a great way to go for them. I love the idea of the shared universe, but it quickly grew so big that it presents it own problems. Even more so now with more arcs taking place over months and fewer stand-alone stories. It could be amazing in Early Marvel days, though.

That's a harder sell out of the country, of course, because distance can inhibit interaction - though boom tubes or teleportation can help - and because the biggest threats and earth-based fighting is more likely to be based in the US because that's where majority of readers - and heroes - are.

I acknowledge I don't really get the appeal of a Brazilian who is from an Amazon tribe there, so has nothing to do with actual Brazilians or their culture (the all-female warriors myth, so far as as I know having no basis in their history, though the Amazons of DC are so far off myth it doesn't really matter). Unless, of course, she actually lives and operates in Brazil. But someone raised there would be a better Brazilian hero in general (just as most the heroes were raised in the US in comics published in the US). Of course, an actual Brazilian company would most likely do that better. But if DC wants to try, that's great. I just wish they wouldn't displace/discard existing heroes and gives newbies their names to do that. Then again, not a legacy fan. I mean, I don't mind it for this exercise, but none of the stories sound interesting to me so far for me because of what they've done (or not done) with the characters I already know.

Funny how you say that I've read French graphic novels/comics with non French characters. I've read Mangas that don't even take place in Japan.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And then they'll probably try to figure out ways to integrate the Future State stuff that was popular without replacing the mainstays.
    I was thinking along the same lines. Rather than introduce these characters in a slower way and face the fan backlash to their inevitable taking on/taking over a heroic mantle, just pull the bandage off and throw them at us at once already heroes, with their names and origins already in place. Then the fans can judge them on their own merits as fully-formed heroes, have it happen in only two months so it's not like a year of fans bitching, and then later bring back the ones that fans respond to. That way, their (re)introduction will be met with anticipation rather than derision.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I see they say it's a GL ring, which means either ww kills all 3 and takes the awards (kinda squishy for a woman using her friend's spine as a weapon) or they die for whatever reason, whatever the reason Anyway, it seems that the writers of Wonder woman are obsessed with killing all heroes. Apart from the killer instinct of ww writers, it seems that superman has become the krillin of dc, if he dies at this rate, a comic in which superman does not die, it would no longer be a superman comic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Nothing about Future's End was appealing. The creative teams for Future State are already more promising from the writers to the art. Plus Future's End was all doom and gloom and it was during the New 52 which didn't make things better. Also, the things presented for Future's State seem way more prominent for something that's only two months. Can anyone recall anything from Future's End?
    Wallace West growing into one of his best lives as my favorite take on The Flash to date. A cool look at a hypothetical Duke Thomas as an older, traditional Robin. Who's allowed to rock beautiful braids/dreads in a high ponytail. These are my two takeaways from Future's End, and two things I wish were more than just what they ended up being.

But then again, I got into DC thanks primarily to The New 52, and I love that era, and miss it. So I don't follow the train of thought that The New 52 was some dark spawn that many who disdain it like to purport.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-18-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Probably would have been.the final nail in the coffin for DC.
    Unlikely. DC still does fairly well.

Right now, the replacement characters are the big appeal for me. I'm not feeling the Flash from the multiverse but they can grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Right now, the replacement characters are the big appeal for me. I'm not feeling the Flash from the multiverse but they can grow on me.
    To be fair we know basically nothing about that one. All the others at least have some introduction

Flash is the only one I'm not feeling right now. Everyone else looks at least vaguely interesting to me, but I would've preferred Wallace or Irey as the new Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    So are you still annoyed at Kamala Khan adopting the Ms Marvel name over at Marvel?
    Poor example, as Carol Danvers wasn't removed to make way for her - Carol took the Captain Marvel name after three previous Captain Marvels died. Kamala then took what was now an abandoned mantle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Guess there really isn't any easily identifiable item to represent Flash, Cyborg, Manhunter
    Barry has his costume ring. You're right about the other two though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She has been by far the most positively received new character. Seen a ton of Brazilians go crazy over her. DC would be foolish not to make her part of the Wonder Family, although I worry about what that will mean for Cassie. Donna hasn’t exactly carved out a strong niche for herself since she lost the Wonder Girl title.
    Yeah, but the fact is that's true for all the Titans. The only way that all three generations will get the spotlight is if Titans, Young Justice, and Teen Titans all have ongoing books. If only one or two exist, some of them lose out. There won't actually be a problem with Yara and Cassie sharing the Wonder Girl name as long as there are books for each generation. No different to Jon and Conner as Superboy, and the two Spider-Mans, Wasps, and Hawkeyes over at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I never heard of Lorena. Which generation is she?
    She's from the pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans. Dick's generation had an Aquagirl called Tula who died just before the Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Emiko is functionally a Speedy even though she goes by Red Arrow.
    Yeah - she's basically based on Thea Queen from Arrow, who was Speedy. The show did later introduce their own Emiko, but unlike the comics version she was a villain (though the Arrowverse's Crisis did retcon that), they basically used her as a Shado substitute (adapting a plot from the Rebirth era Green Arrow comics) having already killed off Shado earlier.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-18-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    To be fair we know basically nothing about that one. All the others at least have some introduction
    I know, I would've preferred Wallace or Avery Ho. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Wallace West growing into one of his best lives as my favorite take on The Flash to date. A cool look at a hypothetical Duke Thomas as an older, traditional Robin. Who's allowed to rock beautiful braids/dreads in a high ponytail. These are my two takeaways from Future's End, and two things I wish were more than just what they ended up being.

But then again, I got into DC thanks primarily to The New 52, and I love that era, and miss it. So I don't follow the train of thought that The New 52 was some dark spawn that many who disdain it like to purport.
    I agree with you on duke; i was intrigued by his version of robin, and wondered how he’d work with batman. But because damian became a thing, duke kind of got lost in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Flash is the only one I'm not feeling right now. Everyone else looks at least vaguely interesting to me, but I would've preferred Wallace or Irey as the new Flash.
    I kind of feel like this new Flash should be the focus of Future State Flash instead of a homicidal Wally West needing to be put down, but maybe they don't want to spoil any character details about them.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Duke would make a lot more sense given the ages of the other Leaguers unless they're going with the seasoned vet angle with Luke.
    I’d probably be more interested in duke as batman, rather than luke; if only they could get rid of this dystopian future angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'll check out Andy's aqua adventures, 100%
    She makes a good Aqualass.