Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In my mind, there's a difference between media trying to court an audience vs. people taking to the internet to tell the media what they want to see and how it should be presented.
    I mean, people have done this in the past with mail and such. The internet has just made it by miles.... And when that happens more people do it, because more people can.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Tynion talks about the upcoming in-continuity stories and how they'll affect Future State and vice versa.
    So the magistrate is either the new mayor that starts to show up, Damian Wayne becoming evil or someone else. Very interesting.

Heh. Just realized we're gonna have a grown man as Robin. Major Burt Ward vibes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Heh. Just realized we're gonna have a grown man as Robin. Major Burt Ward vibes.
    It’s not like Earth 2 Dick Grayson didn’t do it before.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It may have been meant to be long term, but it was not going to take over the main continuity.
    It quite literally was. It was 100% going to be the status quo going forward per Bleeding Cool. That is why it was so controversial. You would have had to go to Black Label for Clark, Bruce, Diana, etc stories.

Yeah. It seems pretty clear that Dark Detective would've been Detective Comics, and I'm guessing that Superman vs Imperious Lex one was Action Comics. Most of the stories are abandoned ongoings retooled into minis.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So the magistrate is either the new mayor that starts to show up, Damian Wayne becoming evil or someone else. Very interesting.
    It can be new mayor. Nakano was created by Mariko Tamaki for her story in 'Tec, which showed why he hates Batman and masked heroes at all. Considering how much he hates them, and the fact that Tamaki writes Dark Detective where Peacemaker will appear, this is the most obvious option, even compared to Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It quite literally was.
    It quite literally wasn’t. It would have if it was popular enough, but based on the reaction that obviously was not going to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It quite literally wasn’t. It would have if it was popular enough, but based on the reaction that obviously was not going to be the case.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/what...-future-state/
    The first mention of 5G was on Bleeding Cool on June 13th 2019. All we had was a name. On October 14th, Bleeding Cool was the first to work out out, after we dissected the very blurry DC Timeline as shown off by Dan DiDio on stage at NYCC. It was the future of the current DC Universe. The DC Timeline would be stretched back out again, giving a longer history to the DC Universe through the twentieth century but that the characters would age, and be replaced by new, younger versions of the characters filling that role. The DC Universe would relaunch with new #1s. And this would be the new status quo for DC Comics going forward.
    Bleeding Cool says this was meant to be the status quo going forward, from the start, regardless of whether fans liked/wanted this or not. When Didio was in charge it was not meant to be a stunt or a temporary status quo shake up, it was meant to be the status quo. Luke Fox would be Batman going forward, Jon would be Superman, etc. Does that mean if it had crashed and burned that DC wouldn’t have done a 180? Who knows, but BC said that Didio intended for Luke Fox to be Batman for as long as he was EiC going forward, which is probably why he was fired.

Didio has done lots of stuff that the fans hated but that he stuck with because he wanted it done. Sometimes he was forced to pivot, like with Wally, but other times he refused to budge. I can totally buy that he was going into this with the idea of it being permanent, just like they did with the New 52.

BC is a gossip rag, and I don’t trust Rich further than I can throw him, but they correctly called a bunch of 5G stuff, so I’m going to say they were probably right about the plan with 5G. If 5G was always meant to be temp, why was DC in such turmoil and scrambling to switch course? If you want to say BC is wrong, that’s fine, I’m not out to defend BC’s integrity.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-20-2020 at 05:54 AM.

BC is a gossip rag, and I don’t trust Rich further than I can throw him, but they correctly called a bunch of 5G stuff, so I’m going to say they were probably right about the plan with 5G. If 5G was always meant to be temp, why was DC in such turmoil and scrambling to switch course? If you want to say BC is wrong, that’s fine, I’m not out to defend BC’s integrity.
    Remember when the New 52 was supposed to be the status quo? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

There's also a difference between long-form storytelling and permanent. If they intended to have the 5G stuff go on for 6 months to a year, minimum, DC would have easily been in turmoil over it because that's a years worth of potential sales lost to a company already on shaky legs. 5G was never going to be the status quo.

I mean, seriously. Think about it. Didio, a guy who resurrected Hal and Barry because they were what he viewed as the "iconic versions" of those characters, was going to make someone other than Bruce Wayne Batman for the foreseeable future? Someone other than Clark Kent as Superman going forward? Yeah, no.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Bleeding Cool says this was meant to be the status quo going forward, from the start, regardless of whether fans liked/wanted this or not.
    DC Comics is a business. If 5G tanked it is not like DC was going to stubbornly keep cramming it down peoples’ throats it would have just become its own Earth or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Remember when the New 52 was supposed to be the status quo? Pepperidge Farms remembers.

There's also a difference between long-form storytelling and permanent. If they intended to have the 5G stuff go on for 6 months to a year, minimum, DC would have easily been in turmoil over it because that's a years worth of potential sales lost to a company already on shaky legs. 5G was never going to be the status quo.

I mean, seriously. Think about it. Didio, a guy who resurrected Hal and Barry because they were what he viewed as the "iconic versions" of those characters, was going to make someone other than Bruce Wayne Batman for the foreseeable future? Someone other than Clark Kent as Superman going forward? Yeah, no.
    That's why Didio spearheading 5G always seemed off to me, but maybe his drive for shocking and dramatic changes won out in the end.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's why Didio spearheading 5G always seemed off to me, but maybe his drive for shocking and dramatic changes won out in the end.
    I think... this is one of those things where Didio thinks he understands something and take it completely the wrong way. Fans have been screaming about appreciation of Legacy, so Didio decided, after seeing the loss of sales from Rebirth, okay, we're gonna do Legacy, but not the one you think because I hate them, and they're white. So we're making a new Legacy, and they will be black, brazilian, amputee, it's a better Legacy, trust me.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-20-2020 at 11:48 AM.

In recent interviews Didio had voiced his displeasure with how he perceived the post-Rebirth DCU as stagnant and too reliant on nostalgia. I wouldn't be surprised if 5G was conceived as essentially another big New 52 style shakeup without actually discarding all of the company's history again.

Guardian Future State

Superpowered cop...
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?