Extraordinary Member

Default What would you put in a DC Magazine?

A common suggestion that I see for how to fix the American Comics industry is to introduce the Magazine format that's used by Shonen Jump and other magazine companies.

The way the Magazine format works is that instead of selling single issues, new comics would be released together in a magazine, and once enough issues came out, they'd be collected together in Trades.

This format has a couple different strengths. For one, it makes catching up on series a much simpler process, since there are no relaunches or renumberings mucking things up. It also gives new characters and concepts an easier path to success, since they're not in competition with the rest of the line

But since all of the comics would be getting released in one Magazine, that in turn means that the line needs to contract, since the magazines need to be a reasonable size. So this thread will be a place to discuss what series should be in it. Shonen Jump currently publishes 20 regular series, so consider that to be the maximum number of series present in the magazine

In terms of continuity, consider this a new start. Not part of any existing continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    . . . The way the Magazine format works is that instead of selling single issues, new comics would be released together in a magazine, and once enough issues came out, they'd be collected together in Trades.
    To someone who has no familiarity with manga, what you wrote makes no sense whatsoever. How is the "magazine" different from an issue of a comic book? Are you talking a format similar to the magazines published back in the 1970s, like Deadly Hands of Kung Fu?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    To someone who has no familiarity with manga, what you wrote makes no sense whatsoever. How is the "magazine" different from an issue of a comic book? Are you talking a format similar to the magazines published back in the 1970s, like Deadly Hands of Kung Fu?
    Basically, every week they put out an issue of the Magazine. Each issue contains a new chapter of several ongoing series.

Once a series in the magazine has enough chapters, those chapters are collected together in a trade

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Shonen Jump is published almost weekly (48 issues per year) and each issue is like a small phone book (in the neighborhood of 500 pages per issue) featuring installments of several series per week. Magazine is perhaps a misnomer in the way Americans in the west think of magazines, especially those related to comics. But it is a very different product than the Marvel mags distributed by Curtis Circulation in the 70s. It is more akin to Crossgen's Edge and Forge books, but those were only monthly and smaller than Shonen Jump.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

To answer the OP's query, if I were to do 20 series in a book like that...

1. Superman
    2. Batman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. Flash
    5. Green Lantern
    6. Justice League
    7. New Teen Titans
    8. Birds of Prey
    9. Suicide Squad featuring Harley Quinn
    10. Amethyst
    11. Super Sons
    12. Vixen
    13. Legion of Super-Heroes
    14. Zatanna/Justice League Dark
    15. Aquaman
    16. Green Arrow & Black Canary
    17. Supergirl
    18. Batwoman
    19. Black Lightning
    20. Shazam

but if I were going that route, I wouldn't do 1 magazine, I would do 2-3, 1 would be Detective Comics which focused on 20 or so Batman/street level heroes (including heroes like Green Arrow, the Question, and Black Lightning), 1 would be Action Comics, with Superman and things like Legion, Justice League, etc. and 1 would be Sensation Comics with Wonder Woman, the JSA, Vixen, Amethyst, etc. Still tightening the line and giving variety each week, but offering a more thematically focused product and giving retail partners more product to carry/sell.

However, periodicals of any sort are a dinosaur product in the mainstream American market, and if you are looking to create products to reach mainstream audiences of the 21st century, serialized periodicals of any sort, even Shonen Jump style magazines, aren't the answer.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

my picks

1. Superman
    2. Batman
    3. Wonder Woman
    4. The Flash
    5. Green Lantern
    6. Teen Titans
    7. Hellblazer
    8. Swamp Thing
    9. Booster Gold/Blue Beetle
    10. Doom Patrol
    11. Green Arrow
    12. Aquaman
    13. Plastic Man
    14. Static
    15. Suicide Squad
    16. The Outsiders
    17. Shazam
    18. Original title
    19. Original title
    20. Legion of Superheroes

I've seen some people argue that this model wouldn't work for the American comic book industry but I don't remember the specifics. What were the arguments against this format?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I've seen some people argue that this model wouldn't work for the American comic book industry but I don't remember the specifics. What were the arguments against this format?
    I don't know about their argument but my argument is Shonen Jump works because it's black and white so they can do it on a cheap newspaper. Using the same format for DC Comics will make it an Omnibus, with that price.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-16-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Alfred E Neuman.