Page 28 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It amazes me how many people don't know this is a two-month filler, even though DC has already been repeating it in every interview. There are millions of questions and complaints.
    Some folks need youtube material to get hits.

Some just take issue with WHO is on the covers.

Didn't some writers come out and say that some Future State things will carry over into the main ongoing books after March?
    Correct and THIS is what some REALLY fear.

Folks fear what could spin out of this especially when it pertains to POC. Does it finally get some doing more than background or team duty?
    No matter what Bruce and friends are NOT going anywhere.

IF Redjack's John Stewart take does well-WHO does that benefit? If that gets John Stewart out of the Green Lantern shadow and helps say Jessica & Simon or gets Hal on JLA-is that a bad thing?

Even if it does not-it's only 2 months where folks can save money or TRY another books elsewhere. Like a Static or Something is Killing the Children or Spawn.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It amazes me how many people don't know this is a two-month filler, even though DC has already been repeating it in every interview. There are millions of questions and complaints.
    @Holt

I know it's a 2 month filler and yet I'm mad.
    I'm mad at DC greenlighting a TT run with the mandate to destroy and demonise one of my favourite characters [in service to 5G/Future State]
    I'm mad that at the same time that DC is pushing diversity and all these new diverse characters they go out of their way to demonise one of their most high profile characters of colours and replace him with a white character.
    [Although DC and an uncomfortable amount of fans seem to ignore that Damian Wayne is a minority like the only minorities that matter are visually ethnic ones.]
    I'm mad that rather than investing the minority character who they have and who have craved out a fanbase DC is tossing them to the side only to replace them with new ones even for two months.
    I'm mad that this hollow effort at diversity is been met with praise while the fact the editors gave the go ahead to a character of Middle Eastern heritage being portrayed as a Suicide Bomber is ignored. They gave the go ahead to a character with Jewish ancestors being called Baby Hitler and that's fine but make a Black guy batman for 2 months and OMG representation.
    I'm mad that rather than invest in the longterm development of Luke, Duke, Jackson etc DC throws a 2 month gimmicky bone and fans applaud them and chastise any who dare not join in the applaud.

It's fine to get on board with Future. It's fine to be excited about it and it's also fine to not care for it. It's arrogant to make assumptions about fans who are mad/not 100% excited.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 10-21-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Some folks need youtube material to get hits.

Some just take issue with WHO is on the covers.

Correct and THIS is what some REALLY fear.

Folks fear what could spin out of this especially when it pertains to POC. Does it finally get some doing more than background or team duty?
    No matter what Bruce and friends are NOT going anywhere.

IF Redjack's John Stewart take does well-WHO does that benefit? If that gets John Stewart out of the Green Lantern shadow and helps say Jessica & Simon or gets Hal on JLA-is that a bad thing?

Even if it does not-it's only 2 months where folks can save money or TRY another books elsewhere. Like a Static or Something is Killing the Children or Spawn.

I don't know where the idea Future State is "filler" came from. No one who is actually involved with the project is allowed, legally, to say much of anything about it. "Filler." So, who is profiting from this "filler" idea? I don't know why people who call themselves fans of something are so eager to stand in line to hate something only a few people on Earth have even seen.

It could be something awesome, couldn't it?
    Last edited by Redjack; 10-21-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Didn't some writers come out and say that some Future State things will carry over into the main ongoing books after March? Like Tynion said the Magistrate stuff will be used in his ongoing Batman book, and I imagine you will see some of the other stories sprinkled over the other book lines as well. I dunno, it all feels like DC doesn't really know what it wants to do.
    Sure but what I expect will happen is that things in the present will take a different turn from how Future State depicts things going. Think of Morrison’s Batman run. That portrayed a future where Damian became Batman, Bruce and Dick were dead, Dr. Hurt controlled the President, Barbara Gordon was Commissioner, etc, etc. Bruce became aware of that future and it ended up not coming to pass, at least not like how it was portrayed. Future State I expect will be no different, perhaps Batman will beat the Magistrate before they can take control for example.

Put it this way: With all the twists and turns of the last year or so, do you really think DC is going to be able to stick with Future State being the canon five years from now future? They couldn’t do that with Future’s End.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I don't know where the idea Future State is "filler" came from. No one who is actually involved with the project is allowed, legally, to say much of anything about it. "Filler." So, who is profiting from this "filler" idea? I don't know why people who call themselves fans of something are so eager to stand in line to hate something only a few people on Earth have even seen.

It could be something awesome, couldn't it?
    Yeah, I'm pretty pumped about it. Seems like it could open up some cool interpretations with successful elements carrying over. Essentially, for those months, DC's books are all stories like The Dark Knight Returns.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

with how much setup is happening Luicus Fox and his family in the main batman book right now, I'd be really surprised if we don't get a luke/tim book in March set in present day Gotham. I hope Ridley coninues writing beyond those future state issues.

I can say for a certainty that crazy murderer Wally West is not likely to be the true future of The Flash books. Or maybe I'm too much of an optimist.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    with how much setup is happening Luicus Fox and his family in the main batman book right now, I'd be really surprised if we don't get a luke/tim book in March set in present day Gotham. I hope Ridley coninues writing beyond those future state issues.
    Might be a good time to relaunch Batwing.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    He will make his Marvel debut in january, and I can see he being taped for Black Panther, since Coates run is ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    He will make his Marvel debut in january, and I can see him being taped for Black Panther, since Coates run is ending.
    I hope not, love or hate his run, Coates is a landmark writer among Black Panther runs; DC doesn't really have those for any of their black characters. I hope Ridley and Redjack, and a few more in the Future State line-up (they got mf Brandon Thomas yall!!!), can start putting numbers on the board for DC's characters of color.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-21-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I hope not, love or hate his run, Coates is a landmark writer among Black Panther runs; DC doesn't really have those for any of their black characters. I hope Ridley and Redjack, and a few more in the Future State line-up (they got mf Brandon Thomas yall!!!), can start putting numbers on the board for DC's characters of color.
    Well, Redjack knows how to write Black Panther and did a great job with that Mr. Terrific episode in Justice League Action, so I'd be kind of interested to see what he has to say about the DCU as a whole.

I kind of want a more experienced comic writer to get the reins of Panther once Coates finally leaves.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can say for a certainty that crazy murderer Wally West is not likely to be the true future of The Flash books. Or maybe I'm too much of an optimist.

Might be a good time to relaunch Batwing.
    Batwing Black and Batwing Blue

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    @Holt

I know it's a 2 month filler and yet I'm mad.
    I'm mad at DC greenlighting a TT run with the mandate to destroy and demonise one of my favourite characters [in service to 5G/Future State]
    I'm mad that at the same time that DC is pushing diversity and all these new diverse characters they go out of their way to demonise one of their most high profile characters of colours and replace him with a white character.
    [Although DC and an uncomfortable amount of fans seem to ignore that Damian Wayne is a minority like the only minorities that matter are visually ethnic ones.]
    I'm mad that rather than investing the minority character who they have and who have craved out a fanbase DC is tossing them to the side only to replace them with new ones even for two months.
    I'm mad that this hollow effort at diversity is been met with praise while the fact the editors gave the go ahead to a character of Middle Eastern heritage being portrayed as a Suicide Bomber is ignored. They gave the go ahead to a character with Jewish ancestors being called Baby Hitler and that's fine but make a Black guy batman for 2 months and OMG representation.
    I'm mad that rather than invest in the longterm development of Luke, Duke, Jackson etc DC throws a 2 month gimmicky bone and fans applaud them and chastise any who dare not join in the applaud.

It's fine to get on board with Future. It's fine to be excited about it and it's also fine to not care for it. It's arrogant to make assumptions about fans who are mad/not 100% excited.
    You can’t really blame fans for not looking at Damian for representation since DC consistently draws him as Caucasian with no other ethnic background. Of course there are white passing minorities in real life, but comics are a visual medium so if they wanted to emphasize that Damian was middle eastern they certainly could have. The other solution would be for him to have strong ties to his cultural background, but since the LoA is a made up concept that doesn’t really work either (plus all DC has pushed for recently is portraying him as a murderous little sh*t).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    You can’t really blame fans for not looking at Damian for representation since DC consistently draws him as Caucasian with no other ethnic background. Of course there are white passing minorities in real life, but comics are a visual medium so if they wanted to emphasize that Damian was middle eastern they certainly could have. The other solution would be for him to have strong ties to his cultural background, but since the LoA is a made up concept that doesn’t really work either (plus all DC has pushed for recently is portraying him as a murderous little sh*t).
    Glass in his TT run did give him strong ties to his Middle Eastern background before making him a Suicide Bomber.

Plenty of other Artists and titles do portray him as tanned/visually mixed. His solo and a lot of his lore also do highlight his mixed parentage so it's not like fans or anyone who knows the Batman lore isn't aware of his mixed heritage.

The fact that he is passing isn't an excuse. The LOA and the Al Ghul's are well known enough that visual medium or not he is still representation for mixed kids.

My kids are mixed African and Irish and yet they hold Damian close to their hearts. The fact that The Supersons and lil'Gotham [the only Damian titles they've read] doesn't portray him as mixed doesn't stop them clinging to the fact that Robin is a mixed kid just like them.

Also why is it that DC chooses one of it's few Middle Eastern characters to portray as a murderous lil' ****? never mind that he has already redeemed himself or the fact that there's so few high profile Middle Eastern character's. Of all the character's to pick for the evil heel turn they pick they go for the under represented demographic.
    Last edited by Fergus; 10-22-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It quite literally wasn’t. It would have if it was popular enough, but based on the reaction that obviously was not going to be the case.
    I was told by editorial that it would be the status quo as long as Dan DiDio was publisher.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, he isn't entirely wrong here...
    Agreed, and it isn't a hard conclusion to come to.

The stagnation and oft-toxic reliance on nostalgia to carry anything really hurt for someone like me who really came to DC during the New 52 period and who loves that time and misses it.