Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1109

Thread: DC Future State

Extraordinary Member

Remember when Future’s End was canon until it wasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    And this is exactly the reason why I don't care for Future State. Has a lot of the same hallmarks of Future's End and look how little impact that had on DC's future continuity.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    And this is exactly the reason why I don't care for Future State. Has a lot of the same hallmarks of Future's End and look how little impact that had on DC's future continuity.
    Future State alread has more effect on what comes next than futues end had in the past though. Seveal characters are going to continue to be impotant after this event, a lot of the new writers are doing ongoings for DC, etc. You may not care, but clearly DC isn't treating these books as if they ae filler.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I didn't expect anything to top Superman/Wonder Woman, however...

Teen Titans came close especially with that ending but it has the same problem with Superman of Metropolis where it's written like the reader knows what happened between the conclusion of Death Metal and FS:TT 1.
    8/10

Justice League started off kissing Fox's and Jo's feet and I was like "whatever, man" but it caught my interest after the Legion of Doom sequence and that JLA cliffhanger. The Justice League Dark story was pretty good especially with Ragman and new Dr. Fate.
    9.5/10.

Superwoman was Kara talking to an anime waifu for like 18 pages.
    1/10.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Future State alread has more effect on what comes next than futues end had in the past though. Seveal characters are going to continue to be impotant after this event, a lot of the new writers are doing ongoings for DC, etc. You may not care, but clearly DC isn't treating these books as if they ae filler.
    Putting aside my personal opinions, Future's End had a month of filler where all of DC's comics at the time were taken over for one shot stories set in the Future's End universe just like Future State is a 2 month filler event. It had a self contained mini series that promised to have lasting consequences on the future of DC, except that never happened. And it featured a bunch of new characters that we never saw in the main DCU canon. The only created characters that will be important from Future State going into Infinite Frontier are Yara and maybe the new Red X. Future State seems important now, but DC's plans will constantly change, so I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years time, we get another major status quo change that disregards what Future State was building up to.

Ultimate Member

[QUOTE=Robanker;5326632]

I'm just trying to provide some context for newer fans not familiar with the ride they're getting on; take it from someone who has ridden this coaster before. You have a good time, get your picture taken at the end and then get in line for the next time.

Maybe this will be the time history isn't repeated, but I doubt it. /QUOTE]

I think most new fans DO NOT CARE what is canon or not. They don't care if it does change or not.

The writers have said some of this stuff could or will happen and others won't.

So why is this an issue with so many people to belittle these books?

How many realities are there in Dr Who? Transformers? Power Rangers? Star Trek? TMNT?

No one questioned how Power Rangers SPD, RPM & Dino Charge can all happen in the same future.

Star Trek still found a way to give Spock a sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Putting aside my personal opinions, Future's End had a month of filler where all of DC's comics at the time were taken over for one shot stories set in the Future's End universe just like Future State is a 2 month filler event. It had a self contained mini series that promised to have lasting consequences on the future of DC, except that never happened. And it featured a bunch of new characters that we never saw in the main DCU canon. The only created characters that will be important from Future State going into Infinite Frontier are Yara and maybe the new Red X. Future State seems important now, but DC's plans will constantly change, so I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years time, we get another major status quo change that disregards what Future State was building up to.
    Also Jace Fox, the entire magistrate deal that'll be part of the current Batman run. Nubia is taking a bigger role later. Teen Titans will completely focus on the school and those kids, it's looking like Jon might be Superman sooner than expected ect....

This is very different from Futures End. The relevance of that event was broken before it even ended. This is an entirely different editorial team so we can't expect the same song and dance just yet.

Extraordinary Member

Future State: Immortal Wonder Woman #1 Preview + Interview
    Writers: Becky Cloonan & Michael W. Conrad
    Artist: Jen Bartel

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I think most new fans DO NOT CARE what is canon or not. They don't care if it does change or not.

The writers have said some of this stuff could or will happen and others won't.

So why is this an issue with so many people to belittle these books?

How many realities are there in Dr Who? Transformers? Power Rangers? Star Trek? TMNT?

No one questioned how Power Rangers SPD, RPM & Dino Charge can all happen in the same future.

Star Trek still found a way to give Spock a sister.
    Because some fans are new to the rodeo and don't know that drinking the future Kool-Aid leads to heartbreak when DC breaks from it. Love or hate the books just fine, but understand a lot of this stuff is only going to be the future for a while, even the stuff that sticks after a year. Don't feel betrayed when DC walks away from these characters and concepts in a decade because that's what they do.

This medium kills fans because they fall in love with the status quo they started on and felt that the progression they were reading needs to be the one followed through on. Forget old fuddy duddy Tim Drake, Damian is Robin and will be Batman next. Now it's forget Damian (and I'm happy to), Tim Fox is the next Batman. Eventually that won't be true anymore.

I'm not trying to belittle anything, if anything I'm saying "enjoy it while it lasts" because historically it doesn't and I don't want to lose readers to burnout because they bought the smoke and mirrors trick this time.

I really didn't care for Discovery so that Trek example didn't really help you at least with me.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-14-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    This. The Batman Beyond book was launched tying into Future's End and ran for years still being based off that Future's End story even while the rest of DC moved on from it years earlier. This Future State Batman book is probably going to be more in that mold if anything, but who knows.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Because some fans are new to the rodeo and don't know that drinking the future Kool-Aid leads to heartbreak when DC breaks from it. Love or hate the books just fine, but understand a lot of this stuff is only going to be the future for a while, even the stuff that sticks after a year. Don't feel betrayed when DC walks away from these characters and concepts in a decade because that's what they do.

This medium kills fans because they fall in love with the status quo they started on and felt that the progression they were reading needs to be the one followed through on. Forget old fuddy duddy Tim Drake, Damian is Robin and will be Batman next. Now it's forget Damian (and I'm happy to), Tim Fox is the next Batman. Eventually that won't be true anymore.

I'm not trying to belittle anything, if anything I'm saying "enjoy it while it lasts" because historically it doesn't and I don't want to lose readers to burnout because they bought the smoke and mirrors trick this time.
    This post pretty succinctly reflects my own feelings these days.

I've been a die-hard DC reader/collector/zombie since ~1989. After spending my formative years dissecting and analyzing post-COIE continuity, Zero Hour was my first line-wide mega event. I loved every minute of it, because it was new to me and presented new continuity challenges to wrap my head around over the next couple of years. Fast forward through a dozen more reboots, relaunches, and continuity clean-ups, and the lather-rinse-repeat cycle wore thin. I definitely became disenchanted with this whole hobby for awhile.

For years it was hard to get excited over anything, but at some point you just have to accept things for what they are and enjoy the ride. Take away from this what you like, ignore what you don't. And never invest yourself emotionally in any one status quo.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Future State is not 5G and it is not "filler."

Yara Flor having a show in the works means Future State is already more impactful than Future’s End.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yara Flor having a show in the works means Future State is already more impactful than Future’s End.
    But will it be more impactful than the game changing Convergence was??
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    But will it be more impactful than the game changing Convergence was??
    Convergence did give us Jon Kent, so it's pretty consequential if only for that. I have no doubt Future State will be moreso consequential because of Yara Flor and possibly Tim Fox as Batman. Jon Kent as Superman has been in the works for a long time now so I don't want to give that entirely for FS, but all three seem like they'll get adapted for something at some juncture.

Especially because AT&T really needs to start making some money.