Page 20 of 74 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Isn't Tim going back to the Robin identity?
    He is because they have failed to find a new identity for him after a decade of trying, but unless they remove Damian I don't expect Tim to last as Robin. If these new characters start to take up more space that Tim's generation was occupying then their influence will continue to decrease. So Tim will survive the longest, but I don't know what his future would be if characters like Conner, Bart, and Cassie gets phased out more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    It's less Futures End more Convergence
    Well Tomorrow Knight was added to the continuity in Futures End, just like Red X is being added to the continuity here.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Isn't Tim going back to the Robin identity?
    We don’t know for how long. They might keep him there for a while, but then again maybe not. Maybe learning about his future if he stays Robin will push him to leave.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    If Yara Flor gets introduced in the main continuity as a new Wonder Girl, which probably has the biggest chance of happening out of the new characters introduced in this mini event, then Tim's generation is nearly fully replaced. There would be Damian as Robin, Jon as Superboy, black Wally as Kid Flash, and now maybe Yara Flor as the new Wonder Girl. Plus Tim's gen is 4 white characters while this new gen with Yara Flor is much more diverse, which is something people pay a lot more attention to now.
    Although she’s not Speedy, I’d say Emiko counts as a new generation as well. Replacing Mia/Cissie. She’s also Asian.

However it looks like Andy (White) has replaced Lorena (Latina) as Aquagirl.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 10-18-2020 at 05:13 AM.

DC has French, Scandinavian, etc. characters, but America has traditionally been interested in Britain because we consume a lot of British media and were a British colony. We have Russian characters because of the Cold War. If we get into a war with Belgium or Switzerland, I'm sure we'd see more characters from those countries. I bet most Americans couldn't identify those countries on a map though.
    This jut makes me wonder if French or Brazilian or Swedish or Laotian comics have American main characters or if their fans expect or pressure them to. DC is chiefly an American (US) company with an American fanbase. If they want to expand, that's a sound business move, but if they're going to do so in the comics, then one would expect non-English language to go along with those new characters. Personally, I'd start with Spanish, due to proximity. I completely get why British characters (Canadian, etc.) would be a step before that because of an English-as-a-first-language potential customer-base. If they are doing it on the movie/tv side, it might be better to create characters specifically for that, and with their own codenames.

And yes, they are bound to get cultural details wrong the further afield they go. Which is probably a reason for so many fictional countries. Well, that at the need for them to be taken over by dictators, at war when convenient, etc.

Representing the diversity with in the country is good, though. But I'd do it by having a new non-white-but-American Wonder Woman sidekick (who doesn't have to Wonder Girl, and both Wonder Girls are too old for the sidekick role and should be independent by now, anyway) who went to Themyscira to learn or gets powers as Cassie originally did (by asking) or some such. Or by having all new heroes. Which DC just won't do, presumably because it's really hard to sell them to old fans. I still think new heroes in a disconnected universe (mostly each on own universe with self-contained continuity) in OGNs would be a great way to go for them. I love the idea of the shared universe, but it quickly grew so big that it presents it own problems. Even more so now with more arcs taking place over months and fewer stand-alone stories. It could be amazing in Early Marvel days, though.

That's a harder sell out of the country, of course, because distance can inhibit interaction - though boom tubes or teleportation can help - and because the biggest threats and earth-based fighting is more likely to be based in the US because that's where majority of readers - and heroes - are.

I acknowledge I don't really get the appeal of a Brazilian who is from an Amazon tribe there, so has nothing to do with actual Brazilians or their culture (the all-female warriors myth, so far as as I know having no basis in their history, though the Amazons of DC are so far off myth it doesn't really matter). Unless, of course, she actually lives and operates in Brazil. But someone raised there would be a better Brazilian hero in general (just as most the heroes were raised in the US in comics published in the US). Of course, an actual Brazilian company would most likely do that better. But if DC wants to try, that's great. I just wish they wouldn't displace/discard existing heroes and gives newbies their names to do that. Then again, not a legacy fan. I mean, I don't mind it for this exercise, but none of the stories sound interesting to me so far for me because of what they've done (or not done) with the characters I already know.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-18-2020 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    This jut makes me wonder if French or Brazilian or Swedish or Laotian comics have American main characters or if their fans expect or pressure them to. DC is chiefly an American (US) company with an American fanbase. If they want to expand, that's a sound business move, but if they're going to do so in the comics, then one would expect non-English language to go along with those new characters. Personally, I'd start with Spanish, due to proximity. I completely get why British characters (Canadian, etc.) would be a step before that because of an English-as-a-first-language potential customer-base. If they are doing it on the movie/tv side, it might be better to create characters specifically for that, and with their own codenames.

And yes, they are bound to get cultural details wrong the further afield they go. Which is probably a reason for so many fictional countries. Well, that at the need for them to be taken over by dictators, at war when convenient, etc.

Representing the diversity with in the country is good, though. But I'd do it by having a new Wonder Woman sidekick (who doesn't have to Wonder Girl, and both Wonder Girls are too old for the sidekick role and should be independent by now, anyway) who went to Themyscira to learn or something. Or by having all new heroes. Which DC just won't do.

That's a harder sell out of the country, of course, because distance can inhibit interaction - though boom tubes or teleportation can help - and because the biggest threats and earth-based fighting is more likely to be based in the US because that's where majority of readers - and heroes - are.

I acknowledge I don't really get the appeal of a Brazilian who is from an Amazon tribe there, so has nothing to do with actual Brazilians or their culture (the all-female warriors myth, so far as as I know having no basis in their history, though the Amazons of DC are so far off myth it doesn't really matter). Unless, of course, she actually lives and operates in Brazil. But someone raised there would be a better Brazilian hero in general (just as most the heroes were raised in the US in comics published in the US). Of course, an actual Brazilian company would most likely do that better. But if DC wants to try, that's great. I just wish they wouldn't displace/discard existing heroes and gives newbies their names to do that. Then again, not a legacy fan. I mean, I don't mind it for this exercise, but none of them sound interesting to me so far.
    I'm pretty sure we had/have some characters who were from the US (and I don't mean, just FBI/CIA style agents). I know for sure that some are from the UK (Blake and Mortimer - even if funnily enough, neither is a Brit). However, as far as I can tell, Franco-Belgian B.D. is even more confidential than U.S. comics are nowadays. Some series are "legendary" (such as Asterix, whose future is now in discussion, since both its creators have died) but I don't think that any ever achieved the highs of characters like DC's or Marvel's. Could be wrong however.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Representing the diversity with in the country is good, though. But I'd do it by having a new non-white-but-American Wonder Woman sidekick (who doesn't have to Wonder Girl, and both Wonder Girls are too old for the sidekick role and should be independent by now, anyway) who went to Themyscira to learn or gets powers as Cassie originally did (by asking) or some such. Or by having all new heroes. Which DC just won't do, presumably because it's really hard to sell them to old fans. I still think new heroes in a disconnected universe (mostly each on own universe with self-contained continuity) in OGNs would be a great way to go for them. I love the idea of the shared universe, but it quickly grew so big that it presents it own problems. Even more so now with more arcs taking place over months and fewer stand-alone stories. It could be amazing in Early Marvel days, though.

I acknowledge I don't really get the appeal of a Brazilian who is from an Amazon tribe there, so has nothing to do with actual Brazilians or their culture (the all-female warriors myth, so far as as I know having no basis in their history, though the Amazons of DC are so far off myth it doesn't really matter). Unless, of course, she actually lives and operates in Brazil. But someone raised there would be a better Brazilian hero in general (just as most the heroes were raised in the US in comics published in the US). Of course, an actual Brazilian company would most likely do that better. But if DC wants to try, that's great. I just wish they wouldn't displace/discard existing heroes and gives newbies their names to do that. Then again, not a legacy fan. I mean, I don't mind it for this exercise, but none of the stories sound interesting to me so far for me because of what they've done (or not done) with the characters I already know.
    Meanwhile Marvel did Uncanny X-Men with international roster in the mid-1970s and it helped make X-Men the household name it is today.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Although she’s not Speedy, I’d say Emiko counts as a new generation as well. Replacing Mia/Cissie. She’s also Asian.

I never heard of Lorena. Which generation is she?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I never heard of Lorena. Which generation is she?
    Tim, Kon-El, Cassie and Bart’s.

I don't need to see a Superman from Rio de Janeiro, a Batman from spain, a Flash from Angola or a french Aquaman.

But what is funny, is that the Green Lantern rings can't go anywhere that is not in the US. What that isn't a norwegian, japanese or australian with enough will power and courage to wield the ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I don't need to see a Superman from Rio de Janeiro, a Batman from spain, a Flash from Angola or a french Aquaman.

But what is funny, is that the Green Lantern rings can't go anywhere that is not in the US. What that isn't a norwegian, japanese or australian with enough will power and courage to wield the ring?
    Agreed about the bolded part. I'd rather writers create new characters of all ethnicity but of a specific European/Asian/African nationality. Or make use of the great ones they have (Nightrunner, not Fleur de Lys for France, for instance...)

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm willing to bet that the suits of Future State will be the first things incorporated in main canon once it's over. For instance, there is already fanarts with Cassandra's FS look, which I think indicate that it could be well received while quite different from anything she ever wore. I could see her, Steph, perhaps even Bruce, adopting this kind of costumes down the line.
    Bruce seems to just be wearing a worn down version of his Rebirth costume.

I wish Cass would ditch the baggy pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    He is because they have failed to find a new identity for him after a decade of trying, but unless they remove Damian I don't expect Tim to last as Robin. If these new characters start to take up more space that Tim's generation was occupying then their influence will continue to decrease. So Tim will survive the longest, but I don't know what his future would be if characters like Conner, Bart, and Cassie gets phased out more and more.
    To be honest, people thought the same circa Rebirth and especially when Conner was taken out of the Reborn version of Reign of the Supermen, yet he still came back, as did Bart and Cassie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We don’t know for how long. They might keep him there for a while, but then again maybe not. Maybe learning about his future if he stays Robin will push him to leave.
    We don't even know if he's going to be Robin again in the present day although there've been hints he might end up being Bruce's partner again in Tynion's run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Emiko is functionally a Speedy even though she goes by Red Arrow.

Extraordinary Member

I was wondering are these books all set at the time and how far this is in the future?

Most of the books seem not to be set that far in the future, most chracters don't look much older on the covers and many have still their current mantels but but Aquamans new daughter beeing Aquawoman sounds to like that is set at least 20 years in the future.
    Wich would but Jon Kent at least into his 30s and the current justice league members probaly into their 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I was wondering are these books all set at the time and how far this is in the future?

Most of the books seem not to be set that far in the future, most chracters don't look much older on the covers and many have still their current mantels but but Aquamans new daughter beeing Aquawoman sounds to like that is set at least 20 years in the future.
    Wich would but Jon Kent at least into his 30s and the current justice league members probaly into their 50s.
    The books seem set at different points in time.

The Batman stuff all seems to be set around the same period, we just have an older Luke Fox Batman in JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

I believe they said the books start at about 2030 (10 years from now) and stretches a few years into the future across different titles. so Jon Kent and Yara Flor's team up and solos take place years before the Justice League title; same with Aquaman which is why Andy is Aquawoman on the JL book but Aquagirl in the Aquaman book. I would say it covers at minimum 5-10 years if I had to guess, so 2030 to about 2040 for a majority of them with maybe a story or two that could go further ahead or take place some time between now and then.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."