Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    so is this the rumor 5g
    That wasn’t that popular anyway, but it’s obvious they want to do some version of their idea so we’re getting it nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Is it funny that this made me think of the stereotypical tantrum when a child yells at their single parent who brings someone home for the first time, "S/he's NOT my mommy/daddy!!"
    Not to me, but the it's not at all the same thing unless the single parent actually killed or transplanted the other parent to somewhere the child would (almost) never see them again. Because that is what happens with replacement character - the old character is deliberately and purposefully removed from the readers (or at least removed from the same place and reduced in accessibility) and that role (not just lover to to the single parent/cashmaker for the company but primary character/parent to the child) given to another.

It's really much more like the parent remarrying and saying "this is your new mommy/daddy now" and the old is not to be seen anymore and no longer the real parent.

Except, you know, in no way involving real people. But as an analogy I do think "new mommy now" is much more accurate than just bringing someone new home to meet the kid (which would the new hero not named the same thing that got a solo title when your hero's title got canned, I guess).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-19-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Probably it's there to explain why the other Flashes aren't available. Wally killed everyone, then Barry kills Wally, and he retires in angst.
    The ghost of the Didio regime has its final revenge.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Character design alone is going to make Yara the breakout character. She's already getting fanart.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Character design alone is going to make Yara the breakout character. She's already getting fanart.
    I don't think it's the "design" per se that's made her a breakout. It's what(or whom) she represents. This is the age of 'shipping and fanfic and reaction videos to things years before they come out and wish fulfillment where media has to live up to our expectations rather than we as passive viewers/readers experience it before becoming involved. Not judging - people enjoy what they enjoy, but that seems to be the shift in media.

The list of notable superheroes of Latin or South American descent at Marvel and DC is quite small. It's basically Miles Morales, Jaime Reyes, Miss America and maybe Sunspot. I guess Hawkgirl depending on which version we're discussing. Echo is rumored to be coming to the MCU soon, but that's still a character who currently, isn't well known or particularly popular.

So introducing a new Wonder Woman and having her be Brazilian is a big deal and the exact sort of thing that'll likely garner some mainstream media attention.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I don't think it's the "design" per se that's made her a breakout. It's what(or whom) she represents. This is the age of 'shipping and fanfic and reaction videos to things years before they come out and wish fulfillment where media has to live up to our expectations rather than we as passive viewers/readers experience it before becoming involved. Not judging - people enjoy what they enjoy, but that seems to be the shift in media.
    But comics have always been wish fulfillment power fantasies
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I wonder - do Brazilians consider Yara's outfit to be too "buttoned up" because we're puritanical Americans who are weird about sexuality?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    But comics have always been wish fulfillment power fantasies
    That's not what I'm talking about. What you're describing comes from a writer tapping into a psychology or zeitgeist, etc. and presenting it to readers in a form of their artistic and creative choosing. Giving personal voice to an unexpressed communal desire. I'm talking about the modern practice of the readers voicing their desires and expectations of creators to present their fantasies into the world.

I highlight that statement because I think it's an interesting topic of discussion. There's nothing "natural" about what happens in a story - it's all contrived. I think what you might be explaining is either: A) the death/replacement story is just well-written and makes sense as a story so it doesn't seem as contrived or B)it happens over time, over various stories, and maybe with different writers which implies that the replacement character wasn't intended or introduced to be a replacement. Then it feels more "natural" - there's a sense of an evolution. I think it's become more difficult for that to happen over time though as stories have become less serialized and there's less time for that kind of development. While the sidekick archetype has that "potential successor" built in to the concept, otherwise it can be a hard sell. Just a thought...
    Yeah I know the term “natural” is weird because this is all based off the whims of writers and editors. I was mainly opposing when a character is killed off for the sole purpose of bringing in a new replacement. If a character is killed off after an amazing story that brings their arc to a seemingly “natural” end and they happen to be replaced then I’m totally fine with it.

It just seems like poor marketing to actively hurt your existing characters for the sake of the new unknown ones, because fans will immediately get defensive. Again, if you really don’t wanna use Wally then just say that he’s focusing on being a dad with a Linda instead of making him a murderer or killing him off.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Although she’s not Speedy, I’d say Emiko counts as a new generation as well. Replacing Mia/Cissie. She’s also Asian.

However it looks like Andy (White) has replaced Lorena (Latina) as Aquagirl.
    Damian is part Arabian, part Chinese to Tim [White]
    Jackson is Black and LGBtq so double whammy diversity

I wonder - do Brazilians consider Yara's outfit to be too "buttoned up" because we're puritanical Americans who are weird about sexuality?
    We don't. The weirdest thing is this notion we all walk around naked.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    So Conner Kent will lead the Suicide Squad..

Interesting, BUT I already really dislike how he looks like:

1. Conner always had long hairs, flamboyant haircuts...
    I really DONT understand why he and his Titans of Tomorrow Rebirth Version are now shown to have have extremely short hairs.
    Makes no sense for me...

2. Body-Style..
    During Pre-Flashpoint TT he was always a kind of 220 pounds muscular guy and now he is skinny.

3. Costume
    I HATE the new costume and I find it especially wrong in the context of the Suicide Squad.
    I mean its the Suicide Squad and now he decides to wear a flashy, bright colored costume with a cape?

The DCeased Jonathan Kent look looks 1,000 times better than this version and would make more sense in the context with the Suicide Squad.
    Either that or give him finally a black Uniform like Nightwings and replace only the Nightwing Symbol with the red S and give him the leather jacket.

The team members are also not really exciting for me, he already worked with stronger people during TT etc.
    Not sure what working with stronger people have to do with anything. be glad he's out of YJ and in a rebel type group like you've been requesting since he was brought back.

Her costume looks cool imo.

People here like Wonder Woman a lot, when her movie was released she end up with the biggest box office of any solo superhero movie in Brazil. I don't know if still holds this record, i would have to looked up, but i don't remember any other character with her appeal around here. But i think Gal Gadot helped alot with her charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    We don't. The weirdest thing is this notion we all walk around naked.
    Yeah, and our Carnaval from years past doesn't help much.

This was never really the case. Media always tried it's best to cater to their audience. The only thing that's changed is what media considers it's audience now has expanded.