Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We might get a Batwing relaunch.
    not gonna lie, having John Ridley go from Future State: Batman to Batwing would be a bit underwhelming. I'll admit it's just the name, everything else going into Batwing title from this set up is great. I'm the most intrigued by the entire Fox family than I have ever been, The Next Batman may very well be amazing and I'm already all on the Ridley train after Other History of DC, but realizing both Duke and Luke both have names derived from Batman's gadgets and the way they did OG Batwing have dulled some of my goodwill for Batwing's ID. I mean I'd still read the hell out of it, probably enjoy it too, but it'll still feel kinda like a downgrade. silver lining, that definitely would up Batwing's profile in the public eye.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I saw Future State as a tease for new stories. I'm guessing some of the relaunched books might deal with some of the threads Future State established. How this plays out might be different from team to team.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Seems like this would have a been a good opportunity to show underused characters with lots of potential finally getting to the next level. Would have loved to have gotten Cass Cain, Blue Beetle - Jaime Reyes, Vibe, Tanya Spears, Aquagirl - Lorena Marquez, Naomi, etc. Instead there are more new characters who will be quickly forgotten/shelved by DC.
    Cass Cain and Tanya Spears are being used in Future Slate.

Naomi is a case where only the creator will write her, (at least for now)

I do miss Lorena and even Vibe.

We’ll probably get a little Blue Beetle news soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I never said anything about DC needing to hold itself rigidly to a possible future.

The whole reason there is a new Batman is b/c the Magistrate "killed" Bruce!Batman, if Bruce or any other character prevents Future State from happening, how does Ridley's book effect the rest of the line/dc universe (like Jim Lee said) when essentially Bruce or whoever would be preventing this new Batman from even starting or happening.

Also having 2 months worth of stories and then "preventing" them from happening (in story) is not letting a book have impact or effect the line, it's cutting it off.

In any case, I know Future State is a possible future, but I don't think it's a thing any of our characters in the present is actively gonna prevent (...which is the part I was questioning) but like that DC editor dude said, we'll see the clues and the foreshadowing for the things we saw in Future State in the present but we won't know whether these characters will choose differently and alter their futures.

I didn't give much thought to a Batwing comic being relaunched since Tim Fox is a possible choice for FS!Batman and I assumed they wanted to keep that mantle for Luke only but I guess you never know with DC.
    Straight up: No way in hell is Bruce getting replaced for any long period of time. He’s got a movie coming, among everything else Batman is in. The Next Batman is not going to replace Bruce as Batman in the mainline anymore.

I could see them keeping the "Next Batman" name for a Luke/Tim Fox comic in the present too. Not too different from something like "Young Justice".
    In-universe they could use the Batwing name. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Straight up: No way in hell is Bruce getting replaced for any long period of time. He’s got a movie coming, among everything else Batman is in. The Next Batman is not going to replace Bruce as Batman in the mainline anymore.
    And none of the Future State Superman writers seem to be continuing on, so probably don't expect Jon Kent to take over as Superman in the main continuity.

Like with Yara Flor as Wonder Girl, they'll just incorporate these characters in different ways.

I hope the first issue that uses Red X has him tracking Metamorph, then running into Batman.

The blonde girl in the preview for Titans Academy looks to be the Flash character in the new Suicide Squad.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    not gonna lie, having John Ridley go from Future State: Batman to Batwing would be a bit underwhelming. I'll admit it's just the name, everything else going into Batwing title from this set up is great. I'm the most intrigued by the entire Fox family than I have ever been, The Next Batman may very well be amazing and I'm already all on the Ridley train after Other History of DC, but realizing both Duke and Luke both have names derived from Batman's gadgets and the way they did OG Batwing have dulled some of my goodwill for Batwing's ID. I mean I'd still read the hell out of it, probably enjoy it too, but it'll still feel kinda like a downgrade. silver lining, that definitely would up Batwing's profile in the public eye.
    I can't see a lateral move from "Batman." It will be a downward step no matter what call sign they give The Next Batman, and ultimately Bruce is Batman so the only thing I hope for is a good story that gives that character legs to spin into their own book, whatever that entails. Just look to DickBats and Terry if you want an idea for the level of prominence a new Batman can have. One is the obvious long-time heir with a tenure as Batman beloved by most people. The other is the most well-known successor from other media who has had multiple comics that are generally treated as shovel-ware that DC pumps out to make some money but don't care about (they reboot it all the time, they killed Terry and then brought him back. I like the Rebirth run but let's not pretend it's not a glorified Elseworlds book). I imagine whoever is under the Cowl in January will be somewhere in that ball park in a few years.

The Next Batman will inevitably go the way of every other Next Generation. Tim was supposed to be Batman. Terry was supposed to be Batman. Dick was Batman. It's always coming back to Bruce. What I want for the next iteration of the cycle is either to go back to his own thing (like Dick, but hopefully with more love from editorial) and less Tim (where they literally cannot make up their minds and spin plates on everything there is regarding him). I just hope that the momentum from being Batman can be used to launch that character's career to the point where fans enjoy them divorced from the promise that they'll totes be Batman one day we promise.*

*Disregard our history of making this promise before. Offer void where prohibited, all sales final.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-07-2020 at 09:02 PM.

I thought she could've been one of Jeff's daughters but your guess also works.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I never said anything about DC needing to hold itself rigidly to a possible future.

The whole reason there is a new Batman is b/c the Magistrate "killed" Bruce!Batman, if Bruce or any other character prevents Future State from happening, how does Ridley's book effect the rest of the line/dc universe (like Jim Lee said) when essentially Bruce or whoever would be preventing this new Batman from even starting or happening.

Also having 2 months worth of stories and then "preventing" them from happening (in story) is not letting a book have impact or effect the line, it's cutting it off.

In any case, I know Future State is a possible future, but I don't think it's a thing any of our characters in the present is actively gonna prevent (...which is the part I was questioning) but like that DC editor dude said, we'll see the clues and the foreshadowing for the things we saw in Future State in the present but we won't know whether these characters will choose differently and alter their futures.

I didn't give much thought to a Batwing comic being relaunched since Tim Fox is a possible choice for FS!Batman and I assumed they wanted to keep that mantle for Luke only but I guess you never know with DC.
    Jim also said 5G wasn't real and not really happening. He shot down the ideas of relaunches and reboots too. I've learned to take Jim at the spirit of his word rather than, well, his actual word. I don't want to say he's dishonest, but I don't really believe what comes out of his mouth anymore. He really does feel more like a hype man and PR figure than any sort of leadership figure and always has. Maybe it's because he comes across as a really friendly dude who just likes comics and I don't get the "boss" vibe from him, but that's my experience reading his statements regarding DC as a key figure in the company and what the company does afterward.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The blonde girl in the preview for Titans Academy looks to be the Flash character in the new Suicide Squad.

And Wally is STILL being screwed I see.
    ALL the Titans members on the wall, including Arsenal - but again no Wally West.
    But y'know - I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason why a founding member would be erased right? (And yes, this includes poor Garth too!)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

And Wally is STILL being screwed I see.
    ALL the Titans members on the wall, including Arsenal - but again no Wally West.
    But y'know - I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason why a founding member would be erased right? (And yes, this includes poor Garth too!)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I never said anything about Bruce being replaced either, once again a book can't effect the line "in story" if you're preventing the plot from happening which why is I questioned the concept/idea the original poster had.

That's what I thought as well, there is only one black female character with blonde hair (that I'm aware of) and that's FS!Flash from the Suicide Squad and now we have this character on a cover ...I didn't want to assume but I was assuming anyway.

I also think the other black female character could be the sidekick that was mentioned in the FS!Batman Black and White story, with this one, I'm assuming the sidekick is black and I could be wrong.

So I say if my assumptions are correct these 2 characters and the new Red X will be the ones sticking around if the book doesn't do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Jim also said 5G wasn't real and not really happening. He shot down the ideas of relaunches and reboots too. I've learned to take Jim at the spirit of his word rather than, well, his actual word. I don't want to say he's dishonest, but I don't really believe what comes out of his mouth anymore. He really does feel more like a hype man and PR figure than any sort of leadership figure and always has. Maybe it's because he comes across as a really friendly dude who just likes comics and I don't get the "boss" vibe from him, but that's my experience reading his statements regarding DC as a key figure in the company and what the company does afterward.
    I mean I can see why he denied the existence of 5G, this is common for any company person, those types deny things b/c it can be considered spoilers for something they want to announce/roll out later or b/c they want the reaction to to be towards something they're actually showing and not have what they said misconstrued or interpreted differently.

But outside of that I can very much see your point and I agree, one of the things I was thinking was that Jim Lee was possibly lying or exaggerating b/c he's talking about someone who works in Hollywood to a Hollywood outlet so...

Ultimately I think Frontier is right, and that Batwing is the likely scenario for FS!Batman of the present.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-08-2020 at 03:12 AM.

Red X might be the most significant part about this. I feel like even if the sales are not that great this will just show us what they have planned for the character.