Page 54 of 74 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Future State

I haven’t seen anyone say that now that we know what March holds. Most, including me, thought FS was just DC using the scraps of 5G as a stop gate event to buy more time for March, that it would be like Convergence and not really “matter”. Now we know that’s wrong and FS does indeed matter (as surprisingly does Endless Winter since it seems to be setting up Bendis JL).

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    little bit of column a, little bit of column b. it's a two month event but it's clearly informing the status quo going forward; you can tell by the way they have Future State character in the Infinite Frontier spread showcasing the DC landscape after then event. we also know a healthy amount of the creative teams, characters, and concepts are going to be all over the contemporary timeline come March and April. so while Future State isn't the exact status quo, the new status quo is contingent on Future State.

although, you will hear a lot of "fans" claiming it's just filler and that it all will aperate into nothingness once March comes. this is what we call "denial"
    It could apply to the Future Justice league, not to the current. Otherwise it won't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I haven’t seen anyone say that now that we know what March holds. Most, including me, thought FS was just DC using the scraps of 5G as a stop gate event to buy more time for March, that it would be like Convergence and not really “matter”. Now we know that’s wrong and FS does indeed matter (as surprisingly does Endless Winter since it seems to be setting up Bendis JL).
    I know Superlad thinks the replacements are still happening for the Trinity and we're going to get a more concrete transition to Future State, but I just don't see that happening long-term for a variety of reasons.

At least for some properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know Superlad thinks the replacements are still happening for the Trinity and we're going to get a more concrete transition to Future State, but I just don't see that happening long-term for a variety of reasons.

At least for some properties.
    For Batman there’s no way, his logic makes sense, but I just can’t buy DC ever retiring Bruce. Clark & Diana on the other hand? Now that’s more believable, but I think that will be a Peter/Miles situation where they share the mantles with Jon & Yara.

For Batman there’s no way, his logic makes sense, but I just can’t buy DC ever retiring Bruce. Clark & Diana on the other hand? Now that’s more believable, but I think that will be a Peter/Miles situation where they share the mantles with Jon & Yara.
    That's not gonna last I think at least for Sueprman

The Dark Detective book would imply you don't need to retire Bruce entirely for a new Batman. Clark and Diana also got stories in FS too.

Superman is one thing (I think Jon is still too young for Superman) but Yara has a "Wonder Girl" show coming out, she's not going to be replacing Diana anytime soon.

I could say how much fo a bad idea it is to replace your marquee heroine without promoting her as hard as you possible could and on the eve of her second film debut, but DC is known for making boneheaded decisions with Diana.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

little bit of column a, little bit of column b. it's a two month event but it's clearly informing the status quo going forward; you can tell by the way they have Future State characters in the Infinite Frontier spread showcasing the DC landscape after then event. we also know a healthy amount of the creative teams, characters, and concepts are going to be all over the contemporary timeline come March and April. so while Future State isn't the exact status quo, the new status quo is contingent on Future State.

although, you will hear a lot of "fans" claiming it's just filler and that it all will aperate into nothingness once March comes. this is what we call "denial"
    A lot of that denial comes from us seeing this happen every few years. Future's End was also the future at the time. All time skips are. Maybe Future State will be the one that breaks the chain, but you're asking 20+ year reading veterans to believe "it'll really be different this time, we promise" to someone who has routinely sold them that very same false bill of goods.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    The Dark Detective book would imply you don't need to retire Bruce entirely for a new Batman. Clark and Diana also got stories in FS too.
    With Bruce even putting him to the side feels fantastical to me. Their cash cow, the guys whose name is connected to like 1/2 of their March output is going to have to share his titles with someone else? Just hard to believe.

Ultimate Member

With Bruce even putting him to the side feels fantastical to me. Their cash cow, the guys whose name is connected to like 1/2 of their March output is going to have to share his titles with someone else? Just hard to believe.
    Not if you are planning on going on back to Bruce in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    A lot of that denial comes from us seeing this happen every few years. Future's End was also the future at the time. All time skips are. Maybe Future State will be the one that breaks the chain, but you're asking 20+ year reading veterans to believe "it'll really be different this time, we promise" to someone who has routinely sold them that very same false bill of goods.
    I keep reiterating this, but does anyone really want a future of dead Titans and Flashes?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I keep reiterating this, but does anyone really want a future of dead Titans and Flashes?
    Future State is composed of more than those two events, tho. even the dead Titans skips over the entire Titans Academy premise that anchors that story beat. If ya'll need this to be very literal: no they are not going to make the status quo beat for beat Future State.

however, that's not the argument. what I (and others I assume) are saying is the status quo with look like this [Future State] or something similar, which we know because even before the story is even out we know that the teams and a lot of the story beats are already being rolled into modern day once it's over.

I guess I'll phrase it like this, if DC were smart they'd stay the course and let continuity look more and more like Future State over time. obviously read the room, see what doesn't work, and what does work and/or actually has legs from the "possible future" that is the actual event, and then just double down on the things. Let Bruce retire or share the mantle, the comics world won't implode, just say "continuity doesn't matter" and throw a dope prestige elseworld, because that's what those people really want anyway. Y'all forget, there was a time where characters used to pass off mantles and it actually mattered. before I read the comics I used ti read the wikis and it all made sense. "yeah, Robin grew up became Nightwing, Batman died, then he became Batman; cool." "Wally West, the Flash on the show, used to be Kid Flash then became the Flash? Ok, checks out to me." from what I understand (because I'm a post-N52 nerd, I wasn't here for the moment it all shifted), these kinda lazy weird empty bids at reinforcing and preserve the "iconic"-ness certain characters didn't get this weird until the late 2000s early 2010s as a direct result of Didio's regime, which aren't around anymore. Is it really that outlandish that maybe the new guys actually want to move the universe forward with new ideas and approaches? what would be the point if after putting pause on the universe for two months for Future State, then rolling in like 60%-70% of the ideas for, lets say, a couple months, just to do what the last guys (the ones that got fired) did? you think your gonna honey pot us with Future State then go back to basic business my June, and expect people who dug Future State to stick around? honestly at that point we might as well all go full Monkey D. Luffy on DC content because a company that incompetent is bound to crash and burning regardless of anything we do.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Future State is composed of more than those two events, tho. even the dead Titans skips over the entire Titans Academy premise that anchors that story beat. If ya'll need this to be very literal: no they are not going to make the status quo beat for beat Future State.

however, that's not the argument. what I (and others I assume) are saying is the status quo with look like this [Future State] or something similar, which we know because even before the story is even out we know that the teams and a lot of the story beats are already being rolled into modern day once it's over.

I guess I'll phrase it like this, if DC were smart they'd stay the course and let continuity look more and more like Future State over time. obviously read the room, see what doesn't work, and what does work and/or actually has legs from the "possible future" that is the actual event, and then just double down on the things. Let Bruce retire or share the mantle, the comics world won't implode, just say "continuity doesn't matter" and throw a dope prestige elseworld, because that's what those people really want anyway. Y'all forget, there was a time where characters used to pass off mantles and it actually mattered. before I read the comics I used ti read the wikis and it all made sense. "yeah, Robin grew up became Nightwing, Batman died, then he became Batman; cool." "Wally West, the Flash on the show, used to be Kid Flash then became the Flash? Ok, checks out to me." from what I understand (because I'm a post-N52 nerd, I wasn't here for the moment it all shifted), these kinda lazy weird empty bids at reinforcing and preserve the "iconic"-ness certain characters didn't get this weird until the late 2000s early 2010s as a direct result of Didio's regime, which aren't around anymore. Is it really that outlandish that maybe the new guys actually want to move the universe forward with new ideas and approaches? what would be the point if after putting pause on the universe for two months for Future State, then rolling in like 60%-70% of the ideas for, lets say, a couple months, just to do what the last guys (the ones that got fired) did? you think your gonna honey pot us with Future State then go back to basic business my June, and expect people who dug Future State to stick around? honestly at that point we might as well all go full Monkey D. Luffy on DC content because a company that incompetent is bound to crash and burning regardless of anything we do.
    It isn't outlandish that the new guys want to move the universe forward. It's questionable if the higher ups will let them.

DC has shown that they just can't get out of their own way when it comes to this stuff. Rebirth got a lot of positive buzz initially only to piss it away with stuff like Heroes in Crisis. If DC were capable of reading the room, do you think they'd have made another book about dead Titans and Wally turning evil when these types of stories have been viciously panned in the past?

People have good reasons for being cynical or hesitant about rolling in Future State due to DC's track record from the mid-2000s onwards being mixed at best.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hate to break it to you, but what you described at the end there is exactly how these go. Maybe this one won't because AT&T seems to like the idea, but we'll see. Across both companies, "future" stories stop being relevant within six months of publishing. That may take longer now, but I doubt Jon And Tim will be Superman and Batman in five years.

Hate to break it to you, but what you described at the end there is exactly how these go. Maybe this one won't because AT&T seems to like the idea, but we'll see. Across both companies, "future" stories stop being relevant within six months of publishing. That may take longer now, but I doubt Jon And Tim will be Superman and Batman in five years.
    you are missing my point, it's not the way these things go; that's the way things have gone in the for the last 20 odd years of the previous regime. were their stories and events and the like that were forgotten and had no effect? sure, but DC was not regularly disregarding character progression in the manner people describe until the Didio regime. progression happened, mantles changed and mattered. no one is saying that Future State is just gonna up and happen suddenly, that wouldn't be smart either, however these characters taking up these mantles isn't really a gotcha sorry to break it to you impossibility like y'all act like it is. the story isn't even out yet, I'd be delusional to just be proclaiming "by 2025 DC be Future State FORREEEEALZ!!"; my point is that DC is clearly using Future State as a proof of concept, loading it with a ton of talent and promising new creative team, and are very overtly trying to seed the main line to move in that direction. the only thing that really that could stop them is an inability to make actually good stories.

like I said, if they are smart they'd do what the previous regime wouldn't do, stick to their guns and follow through. if they don't, again like I said, get that Straw Hat ready for pillaging because it ain't the leadership that's sinking the ship, the ship is just going down regardless.

actually I'll walk that part back a smidge because I'm making it seem like "oh, Future State will save the comic book industry!" and I don't want that to be the take away. I don't mean Future State is the answer to all of DC's problems, however, what they do post-Future State will set the tone for this new Lee/Javin regime. i have no reason to assume they can't do whatever they are trying to do until it's here, nor do I have any reason to assume they are going to so the same things as the previous regime just like the previous regime didn't do things like the exactly like the regime before them. I just don't subscribe to that philosophy. hey, if I'm wrong I'll take my L and get the Going Merry ready for if/when i gotta start hitting them seas again.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."