Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1109

Thread: DC Future State

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Yeah, Jon was Convergence only lasting repercussion. I wish I'd known that would be the case at the time though, I could've saved a whole lot of money!

That's not to say something has to be universe changing to be good - it doesn't - but I think what soured me on Convergence wasn't that nothing in any of those books really mattered after the fact, it was that for the most part they all sucked.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

While I will probably enjoy most of the Future State stories I am reading and may be disappointed if I get my hopes up with the possibilities being teased at, I think viewing some of these as auditions for the ongoing series that will have the same writers and whether those books benefit will be the test.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yeah, Jon was Convergence only lasting repercussion. I wish I'd known that would be the case at the time though, I could've saved a whole lot of money!

That's not to say something has to be universe changing to be good - it doesn't - but I think what soured me on Convergence wasn't that nothing in any of those books really mattered after the fact, it was that for the most part they all sucked.
    Convergence being clearly fluff kept the drama down, as far as I'm concerned, and some of those stories were fun in an elseworlds sort of way. I dunno. I've seen worse stopgap events.

I'm not sure what does it mean to have an impact in this case. So Yara will be new hot character that DC is pushing? Ok, but I'd assume that we'll get origin story and her first adventures that are happening "now". And at the same time her Future State mini will be out of continuity soon. So what does it matter in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Superwoman was Kara talking to an anime waifu for like 18 pages.
    1/10.
    I have to agree. i really did not care for Super Woamn at all. it was kind of a boring read that I struggled through. it didnt really go into why some of the people were shooting Super Woman dirty looks and just seemed like a plot point to make that Anime girl leave. it would be nice to read a story or have it explained why they felt the resentment towards her.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I think Catwoman was the strongest of this weeks books.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Convergence being clearly fluff kept the drama down, as far as I'm concerned, and some of those stories were fun in an elseworlds sort of way. I dunno. I've seen worse stopgap events.
    We were told what Convergence was. A stop gap.

At most it bought back (for a time) folks who were MIA like Natasha Iron's brother and Gen 13.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We were told what Convergence was. A stop gap.

At most it bought back (for a time) folks who were MIA like Natasha Iron's brother and Gen 13.
    Well, depending on who you ask, BC called it a band-aid event and DiDio called it a love letter to the fans.

This transition is so similar to Convergence. Convergence was supposed to come out of Future's End and Earths End and a couple other stories, and it was supposed to basically open up the doors to anything being possible. DC You was supposed to be the launch of the storylines that would be possible with the changes from Convergence.

Differences are there too, at least in that a lot of these Future State books stand on their own and their is no weekly 8 part book to buy.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Yeah this weeks batch was bad.

I was looking forward to Nightwing and it was just...ok. Superman worlds at war was disappointing as well.

The only one that was decent for me was Shazam. Pretty well written with great art.

Everything else I skimmed through and wasnt interetsing.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean technically only Yara was created for Future State, Kid Quick was created for a recent holiday special and apparently Fox is from the 80’s.
    She first appeared in that issue, but I highly doubt she was created for it.

I've only read Shazam so far, but I liked it. The art is incredible that's a pretty great JLA lineup too.

Extraordinary Member

I read Shazam and Immortal Wonder Woman so far. I liked Shazam although I saw some criticisms that Shazam should be fun and I do think the Future State, or DC, or comics in general can tend to lean into pretty grim stories too often, but still it was interesting and had nice art. IWW was a mixed bag. Again, it starts off with an end of the world story but I felt it had too much of that main character talking as if they are reciting some essay on behalf of the writer which did nothing to set up the story or move any plot along. The Nubia story was fun, and right off that bat has a hook that I am ready to jump on an ongoing already.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

So was Superman: Worlds of War a sci fi action romp or was it a bunch of people yammering on about "hope" and "what Superman means"? Decided to pass on it due to the hefty price/disinterest in the back ups (and lowkey the fear that it was going to be a bait and switch).

Looking forward to reading Kara Zor-El: Superwoman and Immortal Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-21-2021 at 07:01 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    So was Superman: Worlds of War a sci fi action romp or was it a bunch of people yammering on about "hope" and "what Superman means"? Decided to pass on it due to the hefty price/disinterest in the back ups (and lowkey the fear that it was going to be a bait and switch).

Looking forward to reading Kara Zor-El: Superwoman and Immortal Wonder Woman.
    The later. I think the best thing about it was that it went full mythological on that aspect, with the characters speculating on vastly different ultimate fates for Superman extrapolating from one aspect of him ("he's sun-powered", "he's an alien", "he's a farmer"), as well as some very funny satire on the commercialization of faith, but ultimately it's just a story about how awesome Superman is, if one much better written and drawn than the vast majority of those. The next issue is supposed to be the sci-fi action romp.

There's some extremely cool action in the Midnighter back-up, but the plot of that is pretty paper-thin.

Incredible Member

I have been pleasantly surprised by Future State so far (although I had extremely low expectations, so clearing that bar was easy).

The characters all seem to be established somewhat both as characters and in terms of their history (aside from the Next Batman, which might be why I care the least about his story). After Dark Metal's non-stop introduction of throwaway characters, it is refreshing to feel that these characters are more tangible.

The Magistrate in Gotham seems like an interesting plot device as setup to drive different storylines, but I don't find it particularly interesting at all. We've already (very recently) had the whole 'takeover of Gotham' several times already (Joker War, City of Bane, etc.). The Magistrate has no personality beyond being technologically advanced, but there isn't any reason why they specifically are the ones our heroes struggle against.