Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I want a good Superman horror story I heard that one was pretty boring and cliche.
    Preferably with Parasite. Dude’s just begging for someone to lean into the body horror of his appearance and his status as a vampiric Rogue who basically eats people. Parasite and Doomsday should be the two Rogues Superman is afraid of.
    Couldn't disagree with you more!! Afraid of Parasite and Doomsday!! Come on!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 10-19-2020 at 06:22 AM.

I like the idea of Parasite being used more. I'd be happy to never see Doomsday again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Sean Lewis did a Twitter thread where he talked about getting the SUPERMAN OF METROPOLIS gig, and had this to say on pitching the book:

"I went into what Jon Kent meant to me. Half human. Half Kryptonian. Half Perfect. Half fantastically fallible. And I went to the thing that interests me the most. How do imperfect things like people, try to be good. Especially one that is perfect. I then threw in an insane new villain and went pretty big and operatic with the action. I wanted Jon's emotions and life to be grounded in his humanness and I wanted his action to be beyond this earth. And the team kept believing in me. I got offered to do Guardian with @CullyHamner and we hopped on the phone and talked about the world right now and our Guardian (I also probably talked about Daredevil and Batman too much) and everything was off to the races."
    Clearly, he's never read BatG-Batman. You know, the most infallible human ever to human.

In all seriousness; yes humans screw up. But shoving an entire city into a bottle? And claiming Kryptonians are "perfect"? Come on. We literally just had Superman's dad exposed, there's Zod whose been a tyrant (to be painted in the best light) for decades, and Jax-Ur to name just a few Kryptonians who are certainly less than perfect. Hell, Superman has screwed up a number of times himself.

So I vehemently disagree with this notion in the first place.... Nevermind that it "refutes" my Ultraboy Theory (which makes more sense).

In all seriousness; yes humans screw up. But shoving an entire city into a bottle?
    That's me. From the way this sounds (because, obviously, I haven't read it and don't know details), this isn't a "screwup" - it's so far beyond that. It's like calling Superman's rise to dictatorship in Justice Lords "a screwup" because there some good intentions about getting rid of crime at one point. Even if a person's intentions are good (or what they think are good), their actions can still be evil. There's "imperfection" and then there's "not worthy of being called a hero" and then there's "you do realize you're the bad guy, right?" And they do love to use Superman as the bad guy in AUs, and now it's Jon's turn, I guess.

And don't even get me started on how bad the Kryptonians (Amazons, Atlantians, Thanagarians, Guardians) have been made over the decades. Some, like the Kryptonians and Amazons are far less consistently so, but still, given recent publication history with the Kryptonians, the idea anyone could think of them as perfect is way more than a stretch.

No, that's Jon being faced with a foe he doesn't know how to defeat yet and instead of letting the citizens of Metropolis face this danger unprotected, he decides to use drastic measures to ensure their safety. Apparently, by the time he has to bottle Metropolis, Gotham has gone to hell, worse than ever, and those Brain Cells are everywhere, threatening Metropolis. And clearly, we can see that Jon is with the citizens who want to get out of it, unshrunk. But he also knows that he can't do that just yet, he has to defeat the Brain Cells first.

Is it a mistake ? perhaps, yes. Would his dad succeeded without resorting to such a drastic measure ? It'll probably be the lingering question of the mini. But we already know that Jon only has the best interest of others in head, he just fumbles his actions. Which is a far cry from totalitarian takes on Superman, or the JL, really.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    It's like calling Superman's rise to dictatorship in Justice Lords "a screwup" because there some good intentions about getting rid of crime at one point.
    Justice lord superman would lobotomise or mind control you for having an unfavourable opinion of him(except lois and maybe bruce) . The kid ain't doing it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    No, that's Jon being faced with a foe he doesn't know how to defeat yet and instead of letting the citizens of Metropolis face this danger unprotected, he decides to use drastic measures to ensure their safety. Apparently, by the time he has to bottle Metropolis, Gotham has gone to hell, worse than ever, and those Brain Cells are everywhere, threatening Metropolis. And clearly, we can see that Jon is with the citizens who want to get out of it, unshrunk. But he also knows that he can't do that just yet, he has to defeat the Brain Cells first.

Is it a mistake ? perhaps, yes. Would his dad succeeded without resorting to such a drastic measure ? It'll probably be the lingering question of the mini. But we already know that Jon only has the best interest of others in head, he just fumbles his actions. Which is a far cry from totalitarian takes on Superman, or the JL, really.
    Exactly.

Calling him 'evil' is lame. He's trying to provide for people, not just rep that status quo. Desperate times 'n all. I'm sure we're going to question his actions in-story.

Is he heroic? Is he taking it too far? Are his actions iffy? That's the story!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-19-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Hey you know what I noticed is kind of odd, the only Future State book that is releasing in March is Superman vs Imperious Lex. Even The Next Batman which is four issues will rap up by February. I wonder why that is, could just be a scheduling issue but I’m curious.
    March has five Wednesdays, so presumably the first week of that month is the last week of Future State.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

superman absorbs energy from the sun, that means the longer he lives the stronger he is. Do you think DC will respect this part of Superman, or forget it completely.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I want a good Superman horror story I heard that one was pretty boring and cliche.
    Preferably with Parasite. Dude’s just begging for someone to lean into the body horror of his appearance and his status as a vampiric Rogue who basically eats people. Parasite and Doomsday should be the two Rogues Superman is afraid of.
    We must be drinking the same Kool-Aid my dude, because I've been posting about that forever now. Parasite is ripe for a horror/stalker story where he and Clark have to skirt a predator/prey relationship.

As for Jon, bottling the city is a dick move, but if he's a young Superman and we clearly see him come to terms with the decision, it could be a good story about growing into the role of Superman. I'm down to read it... though I really do miss a cape on Superman.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-19-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

Nah. Ultraboy there set it up himself. He created those things to force the situation.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It's nice seeing a superman/wonder woman team up here, I wonder if Jon and the new WW will be a couple in the future?
    Always down with SM and WW being paired together as a couple!! I loved it when they were together as a couple in the new 52!! They should still be together as a couple in the DC universe!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 10-21-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Always down with SM and WW being paired together as a couple!! I loved it when they were together as a couple in the new 52!! They should steal be together as a couple in the DC universe!!
    That feels so “celebrity”. There’s nothing inherently wrong with super pairing but often comes off as a eugenics fanfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    Always down with SM and WW being paired together as a couple!! I loved it when they were together as a couple in the new 52!! They should steal be together as a couple in the DC universe!!
    Justice League Cartoon was my **** back in the day so I always wanted Diana and Bruce together I absolutely hated her and Clark, also him without Lois just feels dirty to me IDK why.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Justice League Cartoon was my **** back in the day so I always wanted Diana and Bruce together I absolutely hated her and Clark, also him without Lois just feels dirty to me IDK why.
    That’s because they gave focus to the pairing. They gave you a reason to be invested in it.

The JL cartoon writers clearly didn’t care about “SM x WW”, so they gave very little reason why you should too.