Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    No, i think people have confused fake clark kent persona with real one. What part of entertaining is justice lord superman? He is another boring jobber for batman.The character ain't even a good villain. If use of word "violence" makes you think of justice lord superman. What do you call punching people?
    Justice Lord Superman never fought Batman.

They use violence. They are bully their bullies, every single version of them. That makes them bullies themselves.
    The definition of what a bully is:

noun
    a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable.
    "he is a ranting, domineering bully"

Using violence to defend yourself or others is not what a bully does.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Forgive me, but I want to see heroes being heroic. 99.9% of the time. Occasionally stumble but never fall. This is not exclusive to Superman or the Super Family. I don't enjoy a lot of comics anymore because the "heroes" just keep doing horrible things (often during events) to the point I don't think they deserve the title "hero" anymore. I want to read about heroes. Maybe this won't be the start of that for Jon, but frankly, given the history of comic book characters in recent decades, and how Superman in particular gets sent all authoritarian to make him a bad guy in various AUs, I'm not optimistic. Hopefully I'll be wrong. But expecting the worst at least means I won't be too disappointed.

Everyone has different wants out of their superhero comics - for me, the primary appeal in superheroes is seeing good triumph over evil. But "simplistic" stories like that just aren't the in thing, anymore.
    I also want heroes to be heroes, but they can fail. Failure means they are still heroes, they just haven't made the best decision. all heroes are criticized when they fail, but superman is practically destroyed. batman distrusts everyone, creates plans to kill his friends, but it is batman so nothing happens, ww gets angry he kicks superman and sends him flying against a car, but it is ww nothing happens, superman has to smile at all times , because as soon as he shows that he gets a little angry with his friends, he stops being a superman. Jon encloses metropolis to protect it, we are talking about the son of superman, the same one who has spent part of his life 1000 years in the future, if he decides to enclose metropolis, there must be a reason.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The definition of what a bully is:

noun
    a person who habitually seeks to harm or intimidate those whom they perceive as vulnerable.
    Really? I remember reading that in dcau related comics,he did.Either way, a totalitarian superman is better in red son.

Ok. He isn't a bully. Dude! He literally put a guy by his pants on a telephone poll in the first issue because he was trying to have his way with lois. Heck!postcrisis farmboy superman put a guy in a trashcan. That's sounds like standard bully tactics to me scaled up to eleven. Heck! Even what's so funny was an attempt at the concept. Since, superman's whole thing was weak and narrative itself wasn't put together well. It didn't work(superman used to engage people their way. If you want fisticuffs he would oblige. If you want debate. He would do that as well)If you want to go on a technicality. Fine, superman is more of a ruffian and delinquent.( btw! So is batman. I am fine with that. Who cares. Entertainment first) . I don't believe Superman should be for "moral" guidance. The books aren't meant to be bible. Superman ain't jesus.

Really, the guy is a strong alien. Most will be vulnerable even the rich. Heck! The moses story allusions dictates superman to become stronger than the corrupt state itself. Unlike diana, Clark does live and thrive on being superman, conflicts, performing feats and manhandling bullies. At a subconscious level, he does like that the world needs him. So, he does seek it. He likes showing off. There is substantial material to back up what i say. Superman #368, whatever happened to man of tomorrow... Etc. At heart the character is a showoff because he is a strongman. He likes flexing his muscles and showing it off. There is a reason pa asks him to conceal his strength in more than one ways in different comics movies including donner, dceu... Etc
    Vanity can have adverse effects . He learns its pointless. Doesn't mean he doesn't get a kick out off things he does.Espiecally,performing feats which he takes as ok to do.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-21-2020 at 12:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

They use violence. They are bully their bullies, every single version of them. That makes them bullies themselves. You just proved my point. Everything else is not worth a reply. Jon has been consistently boring since tomasi left. Nope! Tomasi nor jurgens ever wrote jon like that. He ain't postcrisis superman. Jon was innocent. He wasn't a stereotypical naive farmboy .I am not looking for a perfect moral platitude giving boring nonsense. I don't want better. I want entertaining. I want some adventure and action. Something to smile about and something to laugh about.Nothing i said is about being edgy. You desperately want me as your opponent for some reason because i have defended snyder movies. Guess what? I have read silverage comics and enjoyed them. For the thousandth time, i am a freaking anime/manga/old pulp fiction fan. Get it.i have or am reading one piece,hxh,fmab,... Etc shonens(superman is clearly for young boys) . I don't enjoy characters that aren't entertaining first.You probably think shonen battle series are edgy.Heck! Captain marvel/thunder is the most non edgy character out there. He is awesome. Especially, the old books. I do believe when adapting superman they need to honor the creators to a degree.That means, fake clark kent with glasses persona going "geeh! Golly! Ma! Pa!" becoming the real guy goes directly against the very basic theme of superman. He is supposed to tear off mundanity,not embrace it.It ain't entertaining. It's not even cute.
    That's not how this works, bullies use violence a certain way to intimidate people and oppress those weaker than then themselves. That's what Luthor lives for, ruining a vulnerable person who can;t fight back s what he loves. That's abusing power. Everything else I said was true. What are your feelings on Damien's solution to the Spook?

Had he been anybody else to Batman he'd be getting a life sentence in Belle Reve. Did you read Batman and Son?

That's opinion, not fact. Entertaining is not only about being edgy. These characters are supposed to be role models and fulfill specific niches. What does making Jon Damien 2.0 accomplish? Instead of copying his father he'd just be copying Damien. You can get adventure and action without making super-heroes bullies. We simply disagree on how Superman should be written, what Snyder does is hardly the end of how we differ on Superman. Why are you bringing up the Silver Age? They have nothing to do what we're discussing. So am I, but what we're fans of don't give us authority in super-hero conversations. Except this is about how something is entertaining, otherwise it's just vague words which mean nothing. Some shonen are edgy, not all of them. Why do you like Captain marvel but not Superman? You haven't explained why one is favoured over the other. Which they do, but they're not obligated to do everything Shuster and Siegel did be faithful to Superman. Even they didn't get the last word on how Golden Age Superman should be written. Fake Clark Kent's been a thing in Superman comics from the Golden Age.

Superman is not a character I'd call "mundane" in any time period. Again, an opinion not a fact.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 10-20-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

An unlettered double-page splash from Worlds at War:

And Jock's variant cover for Superman of Metropolis:

Buh-bye

Jock’s is pretty if basic.

Janin is definitely giving me Planet Hulk vibes which I am all in for.

If nothing else (likely nothing else), January and February will showcase some good art.

Though I'd wish they'd give a break to the KC S. Outside of actually that specific guy of that Earth, I don't get why it has to be the standard "this is an aged Kal-El" visual.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-29-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Man, I'm so pumped for Future State ! So sad it'll only last two months...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

God, these look incredible.

Cape-less Jon is really great ! I hope he'll keep this look for a long time, and adopt it in the mainline after Future State. The more I see him in the art here, the more I like it.

As for his dad... Well, even barely clothed and on a Warworld, he can make friends, right ?

Not looking like my cup of tea along with the rest of Future State to be honest. Luckily I've got some back issues and trades I need to catch up on so hopefully DC's relaunch plans for March will recapture my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Cape-less Jon is really great ! I hope he'll keep this look for a long time, and adopt it in the mainline after Future State. The more I see him in the art here, the more I like it.

As for his dad... Well, even barely clothed and on a Warworld, he can make friends, right ?
    Not a fan of the cape? Personally I think it’s too iconic an aspect to ever fully go away.

Nah, the cape is great. It's the underwear which are an eyesore.

At least for Super-Daddy.

But I think Jon's costume works better without it. It helps make him more modern than his dad and he looks great. Sleek, powerful, confident. Really, I dig this look.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

F, that Janin variant is so awesome.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Jon is seriously giving me a tokyo ghoul vibes with the hair, tone, colouring... Etc. Does anyone else feel it? (those who have read it)

Superman's new set of brother in arms look awesome superman being a gladiator always brings a smile to my face.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-30-2020 at 07:32 AM.