Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah Yara Flor, the Brazilian Future State WW is getting an Arrowverse show lmao. Seems the rumors that WB looked at 5G as an opportunity for adaptions was true. Might mean Jon Superman and a black Batman aren’t far behind.
    But they're using Yara as Wonder Girl, instead of Wonder Woman, so I think if they do use those concepts they might re-contexualize them to some extent.

I don't see Jon Superman happening instead of the actual Superman show we're getting, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I'm really confused by this.
    We're told Future State was only a two month event but now it's spawning tv shows? I'm not opposed to it, just confused. And overall concerned with what's going on with DC comics.
    Future State itself will only last two months. Doesn’t mean the characters or concepts introduced within that period will be gone after two months though. Yara Flor for example is definitely making the jump to the mainline, where she’ll probably be introduced as the next Wonder Girl and be in Jon & Damian’s generation. The Magistrate in the Batman books will be a force in Tynion’s Batman when that returns come March per Tynion himself. Would be nice if Solaris appeared in the Superman books after Future State but we’ll see
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But they're using Yara as Wonder Girl, instead of Wonder Woman, so I think if they do use those concepts they might re-contexualize them to some extent.

I don't see Jon Superman happening instead of the actual Superman show we're getting, for instance.
    Oh I agree, Jon as Superman could happen after S&L wraps up though. You could have Jon, Yara, and either Damian or the Next Batman as a new Trinity, and with new actors to play the adult versions. But I also suggested elsewhere, this is a way to write out Cavill without completely dumping Snyder’s work. Jon takes over for Cavill Clark and basically is a soft reboot for the franchise. Not saying that will happen, just that it’s an option.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Future State itself will only last two months. Doesn’t mean the characters or concepts introduced within that period will be gone after two months though. Yara Flor for example is definitely making the jump to the mainline, where she’ll probably be introduced as the next Wonder Girl and be in Jon & Damian’s generation. The Magistrate in the Batman books will be a force in Tynion’s Batman when that returns come March per Tynion himself. Would be nice if Solaris appeared in the Superman books after Future State but we’ll see

Oh I agree, Jon as Superman could happen after S&L wraps up though. You could have Jon, Yara, and either Damian or the Next Batman as a new Trinity, and with new actors to play the adult versions. But I also suggested elsewhere, this is a way to write out Cavill without completely dumping Snyder’s work. Jon takes over for Cavill Clark and basically is a soft reboot for the franchise. Not saying that will happen, just that it’s an option.
    Solaris potentially coming into playin the mainbooks is one of the most exiting things about this to me. I've been wanting Solaris to make more appearances since he was first introduced in DC 1Million. Now that Jon is around it makes perfect sense for Solaris to emerge as a major new threat on an ongoing basis.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

But I also suggested elsewhere, this is a way to write out Cavill without completely dumping Snyder’s work. Jon takes over for Cavill Clark and basically is a soft reboot for the franchise. Not saying that will happen, just that it’s an option.
    Might be worth noting that apparently a version of Jon Kent was supposed to make it into the DCEU before everything shifted and they stopped knowing what they wanted. Conceptually, this isn't too far fetched a theory. It grows a bit more in validity when you take into account the fact that Flashpoint will be acting as something of a pick and choose Rebirth style recton movie, and that it may be incorporating an older Batman into the timeline. Wouldn't be much of a stretch to now say Lois and Clark have been married with a kid for, lets say, 16 to 17 years. From there, the likes of Yara and Luke aren't hard at all to add especially Wonder Woman is getting an Amazons spin off show, and talk of a "Batman Beyond" like role being where old Bruce is heading is floating around.

Jon's whole story in Future State about how he doesn't want to screw up being Superman gets an even stronger punctuation when he's not quite yet an adult and it's a coming of age story. And him being half Kryptonian and half human, as the writer for Jon's Future State book put it, affords the character more room for mistakes because he's only "half perfect". Basically giving WB the more flawed, young, and relatable Superman they've been after.

What I'm basically saying is they could very easily stop beating around the bush and make an Invincible movie that also happens to be a Superman movie, and they'd likely get what they're looking for. Cast yourself a young Tom Holland type who's gonna grow with the role and you're good.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I said this before and say it again.Jon being the superman is a-ok for me.Jon will be like superman's phantom legacy.if they play their cards right.Oath of the EL incoming!!!

Who knows,if jon kent superman thing happens in dceu they might actually do something interesting with supes.I mean,timm was able to write a better superman with lor-zod.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interview with Phillip Kennedy Johnson about his Future State Superman titles: https://www.gamesradar.com/future-st...upposed-to-be/

I dig what I'm hearing from PKJ so far. House of El being akin to an epic poem, and World's of War apparently having Smallville renamed(?) to Krypton is fun. Also worth pointing out that Superman #400 is the same comic that Bendis keeps on brining up as a big point of inspiration, so that's a cool bit of overlap.

My only real hang up is the fact that the elder Superman in House of El is Clark. Doesn't ring quite true for the guy, and I was hoping that him leaving Earth in Worlds of War was a nod towards DC One Million. I think the elder Superman there should actually be Old Man Jon (while Clark is going around the universe). But I can see why they wouldn't make it Jon right now. He's becoming more of a main thing, so they can't hammer down his future in such a way that you flat out get a roadmap of it like PKJ is doing with Clark here. Plus, they have to keep the image of him and the rest of the Future State heroes being young 20 somethings with their whole lives ahead of them and legacies to build. So, I get it, but it's still an iffy choice.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

This interview is a bit scary, because with Superman it has become a tradition to speak very well of the character and then do the opposite, on the other hand I was disappointed by all that superman inspires, instead of action comic it should be called a sermon comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Interview with Phillip Kennedy Johnson about his Future State Superman titles: https://www.gamesradar.com/future-st...upposed-to-be/
    He's saying the right things in my book although he also mentioned Jon a surprising bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Love that Janin is using the Smallville tv show logo lol. Super excited for the House of El one shot, PKJ did a great job of stuffing his Tales of the Dark Multiverse one shot full of background lore while also being able to tell a concise story. Very excited to see how he approaches Superman’s legacy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I dig what I'm hearing from PKJ so far. House of El being akin to an epic poem, and World's of War apparently having Smallville renamed(?) to Krypton is fun. Also worth pointing out that Superman #400 is the same comic that Bendis keeps on brining up as a big point of inspiration, so that's a cool bit of overlap.

My only real hang up is the fact that the elder Superman in House of El is Clark. Doesn't ring quite true for the guy, and I was hoping that him leaving Earth in Worlds of War was a nod towards DC One Million. I think the elder Superman there should actually be Old Man Jon (while Clark is going around the universe). But I can see why they wouldn't make it Jon right now. He's becoming more of a main thing, so they can't hammer down his future in such a way that you flat out get a roadmap of it like PKJ is doing with Clark here. Plus, they have to keep the image of him and the rest of the Future State heroes being young 20 somethings with their whole lives ahead of them and legacies to build. So, I get it, but it's still an iffy choice.
    Hey maybe it will end with him ascending to One Million status still? They’re clearly drawing from Morrison and they could play with the process of how Clark became that guy. Or this could just be an alternate future that is on a similar but divergent path.

Hey maybe it will end with him ascending to One Million status still? They’re clearly drawing from Morrison and they could play with the process of how Clark became that guy. Or this could just be an alternate future that is on a similar but divergent path.
    Honestly, I'm less hung up on Clark not being in the sun or traveling the universe than I am with him not only being present but apparently residing over the Dynasty. In neither DC One Million nor Superman #400 does Clark stick around for anything like that. And it's with good reason I feel, because I don't think you can really square that with his character no matter how long the timeline you set it on. But Jon is both new enough and more pragmatic in ways that Clark isn't that you could convince me without too much issue that he'd be willing to reside over a Dynasty in his old age all the while wondering if this is what his dad would've wanted and if he's done right by his family name.

Clark is the blueprint/idea, but Jon's the one that's gonna roll up his sleeves and build the house and make the mistakes while doing it. But, again, it's not too big a deal, and I get why they're doing it how they are. It also doesn't say Clark still can't leave eventually.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's saying the right things in my book although he also mentioned Jon a surprising bit.
    I particularly liked this line
    "Having a child is the ultimate vulnerability".
    I wonder how it all connects back.

There’s a free new issue of DC Nation on ComiXology that explains a lot of what will be coming in Future State. Anyone who is interested should go check it out, lots of good info in there.

Oh yeah and there’s even a timeline with hard dates for those of you who want that, so you’ll know exactly what year each book takes place and what order chronologically they’re in
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-24-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

I just read it, the only thing I got from this was how my wallet is gonna be hurting in these two months.

Solaris and a sun god getting into a “solar ray measuring contest” that threatens to destroy Earth is the funniest and most petty thing I’ve ever heard. I can’t wait to see what Watters does, I need to go read his Lucifer run.

Rest of the stories sound great, but I really hope Bennet nails it on Superwoman because that whole story concept sounds like it could be an all time great for Kara.