Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Because he's a Superhero?

He has a cape on the JL cover too, I believe, so I think he ditches or takes up the cape at different periods of his career.
    A superhero is nothing but a vigilante. So i don't particularly understand that logic. If he were a totalitarian like in red son then he would be leading the authorities to attack the crowd,not stand against it.When clark went full totalitarian in red son he decided to attack US. A totalitarian regime expects absolute control over every aspect. There won't be any opposition.In this image, He is especially saving the kid. Even if jon does bottle metropolis there is something reasonable about it. I mean, in Bendis's legion metropolis is bottled up. Anyways, he is at best an authoritarian leader(that's pushing it) . He hasn't even gone full fascist. Especially, if he doesn't mind being protested against. Normally, authoritarians don't like that sort of thing. This is just gonna be like clark getting mon el stuck.

I wonder if its like the batman beyond thing where wings gets activated by the push of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I don't care for this Future State idea but I really like this pulp cover style variant cover for Superman: Worlds of War. Superman really does fit the pulp mold in covers in like these since he's basically an amalgamation of the classic pulp hero archetypes.

Attachment 101534
    DC saw all the people crying about the trunks on Twitter, so they reduced Superman’s costume to just the cape, shield, and trunks

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    A superhero is nothing but a vigilante. So i don't particularly understand that logic. If he were a totalitarian like in red son then he would be leading the authorities to attack the crowd,not stand against it.When clark went full totalitarian in red son he decided to attack US. A totalitarian regime expects absolute control over every aspect. There won't be any opposition.In this image, He is especially saving the kid. Even if jon does bottle metropolis there is something reasonable about it. I mean, in Bendis's legion metropolis is bottled up. Anyways, he is at best an authoritarian leader(that's pushing it) . He hasn't even gone full fascist. Especially, if he doesn't mind being protested against. Normally, authoritarians don't like that sort of thing. This is just gonna be like clark getting mon el stuck.

I wonder if its like the batman beyond thing where wings gets activated by the push of a button.
    It depends how you define vigilante. A Superhero will generally protect the general populace and innocent citizens even if they disagree or dislike them.

Jon probably thinks he's doing the right thing for Metropolis even if others disagree but he's not going to allow innocent bystanders to get hurt even if they're protesting what he's doing. Anything less and he becomes more of a villain than a hero.

It depends how you define vigilante. A Superhero will generally protect the general populace and innocent citizens even if they disagree or dislike them.

Jon probably thinks he's doing the right thing for Metropolis even if others disagree but he's not going to allow innocent bystanders to get hurt even if they're protesting what he's doing. Anything less and he becomes more of a villain than a hero.
    It's also what I think. And it then shows that he can get them back to gull size anytime he wants, if he can switch from the insides and the outsides of Metropolis (he'd have to, to "clash" with Kara I guess).

Astonishing Member

I don't care for this Future State idea but I really like this pulp cover style variant cover for Superman: Worlds of War. Superman really does fit the pulp mold in covers in like these since he's basically an amalgamation of the classic pulp hero archetypes.

Attachment 101534
    This is pretty cool. Spartacus Superman is something I can get behind. Much better than Little House on the Prairie Superman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    This is pretty cool. Spartacus Superman is something I can get behind. Much better than Little House on the Prairie Superman.

I actually like both. I prefer to see Little House on the Prairie Superman in small doses, peppered in between a lot of Spartacus Superman, not so much one or the other.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Attachment 101534
    Damn you. I wasn't crazy about that one, and I'm already trying a lot of the Future State stuff, but now that you mentioned it looks like a pulp cover I totally see it and as a fan of pulp stories... Damn it. I may get it.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Sean Lewis did a Twitter thread where he talked about getting the SUPERMAN OF METROPOLIS gig, and had this to say on pitching the book:

"I went into what Jon Kent meant to me. Half human. Half Kryptonian. Half Perfect. Half fantastically fallible. And I went to the thing that interests me the most. How do imperfect things like people, try to be good. Especially one that is perfect. I then threw in an insane new villain and went pretty big and operatic with the action. I wanted Jon's emotions and life to be grounded in his humanness and I wanted his action to be beyond this earth. And the team kept believing in me. I got offered to do Guardian with @CullyHamner and we hopped on the phone and talked about the world right now and our Guardian (I also probably talked about Daredevil and Batman too much) and everything was off to the races."
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Sean Lewis did a Twitter thread where he talked about getting the SUPERMAN OF METROPOLIS gig, and had this to say on pitching the book:

"I went into what Jon Kent meant to me. Half human. Half Kryptonian. Half Perfect. Half fantastically fallible. And I went to the thing that interests me the most. How do imperfect things like people, try to be good. Especially one that is perfect. I then threw in an insane new villain and went pretty big and operatic with the action. I wanted Jon's emotions and life to be grounded in his humanness and I wanted his action to be beyond this earth. And the team kept believing in me. I got offered to do Guardian with @CullyHamner and we hopped on the phone and talked about the world right now and our Guardian (I also probably talked about Daredevil and Batman too much) and everything was off to the races."
    ...What about this Guardian book with Cully Hammer?

...What about this Guardian book with Cully Hammer?
    It's a backup feature in Superman of Metropolis.
    Buh-bye

Very interesting. Confirms Jon isn’t evil, just a screw up lol. I wonder if this is going to be his version of Batman 666? The well meaning but unprepared son attempts to step into his father’s shoes with disastrous results. I’m sure Sacred and Vakanani would love that being the main theme . Definitely excited to check this guy out, I’ve never read any of his indie stuff.

Anyone else find it fascinating how much DC is relying on horror guys to tackle their superheroes? The movies have Wan and Sandberg, the comics have Snyder, Tynion, Lewis, and a couple others too. Just find that interesting. Maybe I’ll get that Superman horror story I’ve been wanting!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Anyone else find it fascinating how much DC is relying on horror guys to tackle their superheroes? The movies have Wan and Sandberg, the comics have Snyder, Tynion, Lewis, and a couple others too. Just find that interesting. Maybe I’ll get that Superman horror story I’ve been wanting!
    I mean, it sure worked out well for them with Snyder, so I get where they're coming from.
    Buh-bye

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This sounds really promising. I'm lowkey sad that it's only 2 issues each. You could really run with this.

I'm glad to see a new Guardian story too!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-19-2020 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Very interesting. Confirms Jon isn’t evil, just a screw up lol. I wonder if this is going to be his version of Batman 666? The well meaning but unprepared son attempts to step into his father’s shoes with disastrous results. I’m sure Sacred and Vakanani would love that being the main theme . Definitely excited to check this guy out, I’ve never read any of his indie stuff.

Are you familiar with Brightburn?

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Are you familiar with Brightburn?
    I want a good Superman horror story I heard that one was pretty boring and cliche.
    Preferably with Parasite. Dude’s just begging for someone to lean into the body horror of his appearance and his status as a vampiric Rogue who basically eats people. Parasite and Doomsday should be the two Rogues Superman is afraid of.