Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tim’s a blank slate you can do whatever you want with. More freedom that way.
    Yeah, there’s a large landscape the writer can visit with backstory.

Using Luke, would mean Ridley piggy backing off of the recent Batwing run. And going by his other work, I can see why he wouldn’t. Luke is too much of an open book with his appearances in the last decade. Tim would be more mysterious and an opportunity to see what makes him tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I wonder why it's Tim and not Luke.
    I think as others pointed out, it's likely because Timothy allows more creative freedom, having been missing for decades at DC. I also think early rumors of Luke as Batman likely played a role. Luke as Batman was one of the earliest stories that ended up snowballing into 5G, so I can imagine DC seeing that and deciding to zig in a different direction. Prior to Didio's departure and Future State, when 5G was believed to be happening, Tynion was alluding to building up Luke more through Lucius' new position helping out Bruce in the wake of Alfred's death; so I think at some point he was meant to be Batman before they pivoted to Tim.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-10-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I have no idea who that is. And honestly, I don't care either; the same feeling I had with Gordon's brief stint under the cowl. I want to read the adventures of Bruce Wayne's Batman or one of his kids under the mantle, not the random flavor of the month character.

I wish he had a different first name since two Tims slightly peeves me but I'm glad it's a new character. I really wanted the new Batman to be someone who didn't have the goal of living up to the legacy or previously had a different mantle. I want it to be a fresh story so I'm ready for Tim Fox!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I have no idea who that is. And honestly, I don't care either; the same feeling I had with Gordon's brief stint under the cowl. I want to read the adventures of Bruce Wayne's Batman or one of his kids under the mantle, not the random flavor of the month character.
    well, to be accurate, he's the flavor of two months . still, that's unfortunate to hear. John Ridley appears to be a more than solid writer and is using the Fox family dynamic in ways we haven't seen them used before; sucks you're writing it off before it even drops. I'd have prefer it be Luke but I'm still hyped for Next Batman (and a lot of these other Future State books).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-10-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Extraordinary Member

Timothey is more interesting as Batman because he’s always had a chip on his shoulder.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    well, to be accurate, he's the flavor of two months . still, that's unfortunate to hear. John Ridley appears to be a more than solid writer and is using the Fox family dynamic in ways we haven't seen them used before; sucks you're writing it off before it even drops. I'd have prefer it be Luke but I'm still hyped for Next Batman (and a lot of these other Future State books).
    Creative teams have always been a secondary factor about what stories I want to read (barring some rare exceptions), is always about the characters. So if the story doesn't have a character I like as the protagonist I pass on them regardless of the pedigree of the authors.

Creative teams have always been a secondary factor about what stories I want to read (barring some rare exceptions), is always about the characters. So if the story doesn't have a character I like as the protagonist I pass on them regardless of the pedigree of the authors.
    I guess I can understand that philosophy, it's not one i've continued with for the last year or so. I find myself more irritated following primarily for the character than when i follow good writers. that's not to say the character isn't a factor, i just look at how good the storyteller is more closely than which character is being used because it's way too easy for writers to write characters just to write them without having the ability to tell an actual good story with the characters. i'm especially lenient when it's with characters that are new or underutilized, i'm not gonna pass up getting in on the ground floor of a good idea. well hey, like i said, bummer to hear people writing this one off prematurely, I expect Ridley to write his ass off with this one. at least you're saving money, that always a win. Future State might have me go broke LOL

currently following:

How long does this EVENT last?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1970 View Post
    How long does this EVENT last?
    Two Months

Ok... then do that.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Ok... then do that.
    I mean, to be fair, it's not like we have a plethora of stories following Bruce or one of his kids or surrogate kids as Batman. that story is very valid and absolutely needs to be told.

currently following:

Totally AGREE, this mix it up crap, DC has done before, and in most instances it S U C K S !!! To borrow a segment from ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown... COME ON, MAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1970 View Post
    Totally AGREE, this mix it up crap, DC has done before, and in most instances it S U C K S !!! To borrow a segment from ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown... COME ON, MAN!!!!
    Iunno all about that, i've enjoyed Gordan's bunny Batman, i thought Damin and Jason looked cool as Batman, Tim was fine, I enjoyed Terry McGinnis as Batman, and i've even enjoyed Dick as Batman. ya'll gotta calm down, variety is the spice of life. rest on the gloooooory that there are far more Batman stories featuring Bruce Wayne or a Bruce Wayne-like character that are already out you can go back and read; and Dark Detective.

currently following:

For me, The Next Batman + Dark Detective will be pulls for sure. Possibly the Dick book and if Babs/Steph/Cass have a title together. But the first two for sure

I been out of DC for a while so a small event like this will be a fun way to get back into it