Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Got my FS books early, FS Batman was honestly unimpressive. DC kind of cut the legs out of the Batman story as who is the new Batman is kind of it’s driving force. Already knowing going in really changes the complexion of the story. The state of Gotham is the most interesting thing about the book sadly. As to the backups. Outsiders is really just a Katana story with Outsider dressing. Which is fine, but nothing particularly stand out. Tries to hook you at the end with something I won’t spoil. The last story is just odd. Feels like it’s there to further flesh out the state of Gotham, but the characters involved lack personality. Stripped away under this English knights theme. It’s like let’s take Gothams villains and have them LARP. It was odd. And not good odd.

Oh, and Harley Quinn. Honestly it was kind of hard to follow. The art structure made it kind of hard to read. With stylized but zoomed in and weirdly placed panels. I appreciate the attempt to look different, but not at the cost of making it hard to understand. From what I did understand though, it was rather meh.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-30-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Just read this article about the Arkham Knights and I must admit... it got a point. Even if it wasn't the strongest back-up, the Outsiders easily topping it, it was still an interesting story and quite a touching twist on some minor villains of Batman (and even some bigger ones). I don't think I'd want to have an ongoing about them, but those Knights popping here and there in the Bat-books could be great, IMHO.

I just read all of the future state books set in Gotham and they're not bad. Dark detective and Harley were my favorite. Robin was ...ok...and same as the next batman. The next batman has potential.

All in all its been ok. I'm excited to see tynion introduce the magistrate and see how they took over..it's a cool idea. I like the non linear approach as well. I'm still glad this was wiped off the year and it's only a small event.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Now we're getting full-on Nazi...looks like Selina is leading the citizens to some extent.

Extraordinary Member

Thought Catwoman was the strongest of the Future State books this week.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Dark Detective continues to be really fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Dark Detective continues to be really fantastic.
    It’s gorgeous art wise, and Tamaki writes a good Bruce, but the big problem I’m having with the Batbooks in FS is they all feel pretty safe. The Next Batman and Dark Detective both feel like regular Batman books that are only dipping their toes into the setup. Catwoman is really good and taking advantage of the change, Selina stealing a train is absolutely not something she’d normally do, and overall the quality is solid across the Batline, but it just all feels kinda unambitious?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s gorgeous art wise, and Tamaki writes a good Bruce, but the big problem I’m having with the Batbooks in FS is they all feel pretty safe. The Next Batman and Dark Detective both feel like regular Batman books that are only dipping their toes into the setup. Catwoman is really good and taking advantage of the change, Selina stealing a train is absolutely not something she’d normally do, and overall the quality is solid across the Batline, but it just all feels kinda unambitious?
    See, I like that Dark Detective feels like it could have come out a month ago with out the whole Future State concept, it's just interested in being a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    See, I like that Dark Detective feels like it could have come out a month ago with out the whole Future State concept, it's just interested in being a good story.
    I guess that says good things about Tamaki's upcoming 'Tec run .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that says good things about Tamaki's upcoming 'Tec run .
    It's certainly convinced me it's going to be worth buying.

I love how everyone is "the most wanted" in their book LOL Jace is "#1 on the most wanted list" in The Next Batman, Duke Thomas is "the most wanted man in Gotham" in Outsiders, Dick is "gotham's most wanted costume" in Nightwing; it's just funny to me.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-29-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I love how everyone is "the most wanted" in their book LOL Jace is "#1 on the most wanted list" in The Next Batman, Duke Thomas is "the most wanted man in Gotham" in Outsiders, Dick is "the gotham's most wanted costume" in Nightwing; it's just funny to me.
    Lol. They rotate weekly. The peacekeepers have a betting pool for the #1 spot.