Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I can understand Doug not being Omega level because knowing how to speak every language is not useful in combat. I just think a case can be made for Forge because yes his power is building machines and weapons but those machines and weapons could make him the equal to any mutant or any other hero or villain out there. Yes there are humans who could do the same or better. But that doesnt change the fact that Forge could create a machine that could put him on an equal level with Magneto or Iceman. or cancel out Xavier's Physic power and take him down.

So I guess I dont understand if you have the power to make machines that would make you equal to Omega level mutants why you yourself would not be considered an Omega because of that power.

Ckye pointed out that Forge could not build a Cerebro because he does not understand the physics of psychic energy. But Forge could invent a machine that detects mutants another way, and I am sure some of the Physic powers (Welll not Mind reading) could be copied with a machine or weapon.

Natural powers are great. But having powers preproduced by artificial means does not make you any less of a threat.

Magneto can if he wanted throw Earth of its axis. Forge thanks to his power can build a machine that can do the same. That puts him on par with Magneto I think.
    Omega level powers are about raw sheer powers. Forge could build a machine that could replicate the snap but its's not his power, his power is to build it and not kill 6 billions living thing in a snap. That doesn't mean he's not powerful but it's the key distinction. Plus whatever power Forge inventions hold their not exclusive to Forge, whoever uses the machine holds its power, like with the omega sentinel he built.

Mighty Member

He should be considered omega if we are going by the definition he is the best in that field. Idk what definition we currently use but even if humans can build better the fact that his ability comes from a mutation means he's the most powerful mutant so he's omega. If there are Mutants who can build based on a mutant genetic gene then probably not

Mighty Member

I was more confused with Forge being called a technopath myself.. I understand that power as being able to mentally control machines not inventing them. So how is Forge more powerful than Trinary, Hijack , Network (rip), Madison Jeffries or MeMe in that respect? Has Hickman shifted how that power is understood? And if so maybe Hickman is basing it on the fact that Iron during his extremis armor days seemed to out sale Forge by quite a margin in the realm of technopathy.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I have no idea which writer portrayed Forge as a technopath. Technopaths can mentally control tech but Forge's ability is supposed to give him knowledge about tech. He can't turn on your PS4 with his brain.
    "Cable was right!"

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

No.

The rules are clear, and it was explained exactly why he specifically isn't Omega in the data page that defines the rules for Omega-level mutants.

No. Marvel needs to STOP with the Omega Level Mutant thing. Not that there can't be ANY, just that everyone and their brother (or sister!) shouldn't be some quasi-god-like homo superior. Omega mutants should be extremely far and extremely between. Of the X-Men and their villains, maybe half a dozen should be considered Omega Mutants.

Ultimate Member

Who is and who is not an Omega level mutant will change again and again so Hickman's view is not the final word on the subject...

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Who is and who is not an Omega level mutant will change again and again so Hickman's view is not the final word on the subject...
    Probably, but until that happens it is the "last" word on the subject, and the current and most cohesive definition we've had for omega.

Ultimate Member

I think the major drawback to Forge's power level is that he needs time and material to do anything.

Sure, if I've got a problem that needs to be solved next week, and a bunch of Shiar technology lying around for him to strip for parts, he's great, but when stuff happens *now* and we don't have a small country's defense budget worth of tools and tech lying around, I'd rather have Jonathan the Actual Badger.

Narratively he suffers from the fact that the X-Men have never had a trouble farting out whatever machinery they need, without him, whether it be because Xavier himself can create awesome tech (like Cerebro), or other X-geeks can do so (like Beast), or they revert to using Shiar tech, so he was utterly superfluous before he was even introduced. They already had all the impossible tech the narrative called for.

Forge being able to make essentially anything gave him the mutant power to be redundant, since they already were able to have any gadget the writer wanted them to have.

Only know he's kind of a nuisance, since writers have to come up with lame reasons why Forge *can't* just create a 'mutant un-cure' that gives 'cured' mutants back their mutant powers, or a special suit or 'gene-lock' serum that makes the wearer immune to the ubiquitous mutant-power-dampening weapons that everyone and their dog has these days.

He kind of got written into corner right from his creation, as a deus ex machina to explain why Storm was depowered for a bit, but it more narrative trouble than he's worth, it seems, since so few want to really use him and most writers seem to shrug and stick him in Krakoa's basement 'inventing stuff' that mysteriously never amounts to a fat stack of jack.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-18-2020 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbHill View Post
    I'm new at this so I don't know how the quoting thing works haha but this is to Babyblob
    Welcome to the board! Underneath each post is a button where you can reply with a quote.

We have a major Forge fan amongst us so... at some point, I will share with you something concerning Forge and, what may make him a "unique" Mutant that is difficult to classify. Almost like Gambit is...

Astonishing Member

They need to retcon the 'omega' definition out of the MU. It just made a mess of things.

BANNED

For all those who might not know or remember --

The Uncanny X-Men #208 (1986)

-- Rachel (Grey) Summers was the first to be classified as an Omega Class (Level) mutant.

Hickman leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I think the major drawback to Forge's power level is that he needs time and material to do anything.

Sure, if I've got a problem that needs to be solved next week, and a bunch of Shiar technology lying around for him to strip for parts, he's great, but when stuff happens *now* and we don't have a small country's defense budget worth of tools and tech lying around, I'd rather have Jonathan the Actual Badger.

Narratively he suffers from the fact that the X-Men have never had a trouble farting out whatever machinery they need, without him, whether it be because Xavier himself can create awesome tech (like Cerebro), or other X-geeks can do so (like Beast), or they revert to using Shiar tech, so he was utterly superfluous before he was even introduced. They already had all the impossible tech the narrative called for.

Forge being able to make essentially anything gave him the mutant power to be redundant, since they already were able to have any gadget the writer wanted them to have.

Only know he's kind of a nuisance, since writers have to come up with lame reasons why Forge *can't* just create a 'mutant un-cure' that gives 'cured' mutants back their mutant powers, or a special suit or 'gene-lock' serum that makes the wearer immune to the ubiquitous mutant-power-dampening weapons that everyone and their dog has these days.

He kind of got written into corner right from his creation, as a deus ex machina to explain why Storm was depowered for a bit, but it more narrative trouble than he's worth, it seems, since so few want to really use him and most writers seem to shrug and stick him in Krakoa's basement 'inventing stuff' that mysteriously never amounts to a fat stack of jack.
    There's also the fact it can't really qualify as a power when people like Tony Stark can do the same thing and aren't considered Mutants or any kind of superpowered being.

Forge should have been a technopath.