Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    It's kinda bizarre to get a redeeming Norman Osborn and a irredeemable Harry Osborn in the switch of a issue.

I get that Norman feels bad about Gwen and Harry but the dude also seems to be forgetting he arranged the murder of a mentally ill superhero's wife just so he could bring out his world-ending powers that led to an assault that killed thousands
    Remember than this is basically Sin Eater forcing empathy on him.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    It's kinda bizarre to get a redeeming Norman Osborn and a irredeemable Harry Osborn in the switch of a issue.

I get that Norman feels bad about Gwen and Harry but the dude also seems to be forgetting he arranged the murder of a mentally ill superhero's wife just so he could bring out his world-ending powers that led to an assault that killed thousands
    The "redeeming" Norman is Sin Eater's brainwashing, and as Peter points out, villains affected by it act a lot like Carter acted back when he felt guilty for the murders, so it's very unlikely this is how Norman actually feels, but actually Sin Eater forcing those emotions on him.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Honestly if it's about the other Spider-People doing ****, I'll be surprised if even Miles ends up being useful, so far only Gwen and Julia have been doing something that stands out, though Julia's is her incompetency.
    What I mean is the snubbing bothers me less because at least I can still read Miles' ongoing if I need to get my fix with him. I know characters like Anya and Cindy don't have the same benefit, so I feel for people who were hoping to see them do something here and then it turns out not to be the case.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Cassandra was way better, since she tried to help as much as she could with what the visions gave her.

She did have her flaws as a person, and unfortunately, didn't get over them (After all, she joined the Gathering Five because she was afraid of dying, and she did give in when the Kravinovs captured and tortured her, something she knew it would happen even), but she was reliable enough.

Julia lacks those flaws, so they compensate by making her have visions no problem, but being terrible at her job.

I'm now imagining that if a Madame Web III happens, she'll either somehow manage to be even worse than Julia, or outright be a villain, and if it's a villain, maybe so incompetent at it that she'll help out more often than not .
    I think Julia is definitely trying to help, she's just not doing a good job of it...
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    What I mean is the snubbing bothers me less because at least I can still read Miles' ongoing if I need to get my fix with him. I know characters like Anya and Cindy don't have the same benefit, so I feel for people who were hoping to see them do something here and then it turns out not to be the case.
    Cindy at least still has her mini coming out, I think.

I did get the sense this whole "Order of the Web" was setting up a new book with these characters or was mandated for Spencer editorially to use the other Spiders, although now I feel like he's just using them as an extension of his overall Peter story.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    At this point, it's expected for the other Spiders to not do much, Marvel could really learn a thing or two from Spider-Verse's movie, 'cause while Spider-People outside of Miles and Peter B. don't add much to the plot, they have more noticeable different personalities and fighting styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Julia is definitely trying to help, she's just not doing a good job of it...
    Oh, she's definitely trying to help, she just sucks at it.

From what I've noticed, difference is like this: Cassandra tries to help as much as she can, but the visions have their limits, so she doesn't just hang the win to Spidey (Before the Juggernaut story, there was one where Spidey asked her help to solve something, think it was to stop a bomb from exploding, and she kept updating him very frequently on what she learned). Julia actually looks more powerful when it comes to the visions, but somehow is less useful by being vague (Something Cassandra actually didn't really do, 'cause again, visions were more limited, 90's cartoon is what had her being annoying with the vagueness), and if something happens to stop her visions she just gets stuck, so she's more of a pain in the ass than anything, while Cassandra tried her hardest.

Spencer is certainly not doing her favors, one issue she says that Sin Eater must cleanse Norman, the next she says that leaving Norman behind to be cleansed is a bad idea? Decide yourself woman... So far you can only make up headcanons to explain this, and while bad writing is the best explanation, Julia being incompetent is likely too.

Cindy at least still has her mini coming out, I think.
    Wasn't she in some team? Is she still in it? 'Cause if not, she may end up in limbo after the possible mini.

I did get the sense this whole "Order of the Web" was setting up a new book with these characters or was mandated for Spencer editorially to use the other Spiders, although now I feel like he's just using them as an extension of his overall Peter story.
    I'm thinking this Order of the Web is gonna become some book about adventures in 616 instead of multiverse crap.

Also, couldn't they pick a better name? Order of the Web sounds like a cult, and considering how they talk so highly of Peter, yeah... Maybe if they get an on-going they'll deal with that cult Norman had, is that still around?
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-16-2020 at 09:09 PM.

At this point, it's expected for the other Spiders to not do much, Marvel could really learn a thing or two from Spider-Verse's movie, 'cause while Spider-People outside of Miles and Peter B. don't add much to the plot, they have more noticeable different personalities and fighting styles.
    Or take lessons on what not to do.
    Oh, she's definitely trying to help, she just sucks at it.

From what I've noticed, difference is like this: Cassandra tries to help as much as she can, but the visions have their limits, so she doesn't just hang the win to Spidey (Before the Juggernaut story, there was one where Spidey asked her help to solve something, think it was to stop a bomb from exploding, and she kept updating him very frequently on what she learned). Julia actually looks more powerful when it comes to the visions, but somehow is less useful by being vague (Something Cassandra actually didn't really do, 'cause again, visions were more limited, 90's cartoon is what had her being annoying with the vagueness), and if something happens to stop her visions she just gets stuck, so she's more of a pain in the ass than anything, while Cassandra tried her hardest.

Spencer is certainly not doing her favors, one issue she says that Sin Eater must cleanse Norman, the next she says that leaving Norman behind to be cleansed is a bad idea? Decide yourself woman... So far you can only make up headcanons to explain this, and while bad writing is the best explanation, Julia being incompetent is likely too.
    Another difference is one was voiced by Joan Lee and the other by Jennifer Hale.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the story, I just thought I'd point that out .
    Wasn't she in some team? Is she still in it? 'Cause if not, she may end up in limbo after the possible mini.
    She's on the Agents of Atlas, whose ongoing nature is kind of up in the air.
    I'm thinking this Order of the Web is gonna become some book about adventures in 616 instead of multiverse crap.

Also, couldn't they pick a better name? Order of the Web sounds like a cult, and considering how they talk so highly of Peter, yeah... Maybe if they get an on-going they'll deal with that cult Norman had, is that still around?
    This definitely doesn't seem to have anything to do with Spider-Verse.

And agreed on the name not really fitting the group as a whole.

Is that Mattie Franklin on the cover? Or that supposed to be Jessica?
    Last edited by JGC; 10-16-2020 at 09:36 PM.

- Jason G. Carr

Or take lessons on what not to do.
    Lesson 1: Don't kill off random Spider-People too much to make your villain look threatening.

Another difference is one was voiced by Joan Lee and the other by Jennifer Hale.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the story, I just thought I'd point that out .
    Oh yeah, Julia was in that Iron Man cartoon right? Weird choice lol.

This definitely doesn't seem to have anything to do with Spider-Verse.
    Kinda better that way, less is more, 'cause staying in one universe can give more room for creativity than using a multiverse, assuming Order of the Web is going anywhere that is lol.

And agreed on the name not really fitting the group as a whole.
    The intention seems to make it sound like protectors, but yeah, my first thought was "Cult!" lol.

Then again, I guess making a spider-related name sound cool can be difficult, "Web Warriors" didn't feel right either, though at least it doesn't sound like a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    Is that Mattie Franklin on the cover? She’s dead.
    It's Jessica with her new costume from her on-going, which she shouldn't have in the cover since she's using the old one in the story itself.

Honestly I think the Order of The Web are set up as a bait-and-switch, since a lot of recent stories (well, pre-Specner stories) have had Peter teaming up with others, but they're actually here to give Peter someone to fight, because I feel his battle with Kindred/Harry, much like they usually play out, is going to be more psychological rather than punchy. But this is a comic book, so we need someone for him to fight, and Sin-Eater might have outstayed his welcome, especially since he just had his own sub-plot. It also means that Peter's going to actually handle this himself. Granted, Strange (and what I'm guessing is going to be Felicia, given the claws on that blurred-out silhouette on the upcoming issue) will be providing back-up in their own way (magically for Strange, thievery for Felicia), but Peter won't have anyone else to rely on to handle Harry, because the Order will either be fighting Peter directly or keeping anyone else from helping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Honestly I think the Order of The Web are set up as a bait-and-switch, since a lot of recent stories (well, pre-Specner stories) have had Peter teaming up with others, but they're actually here to give Peter someone to fight, because I feel his battle with Kindred/Harry, much like they usually play out, is going to be more psychological rather than punchy. But this is a comic book, so we need someone for him to fight, and Sin-Eater might have outstayed his welcome, especially since he just had his own sub-plot. It also means that Peter's going to actually handle this himself. Granted, Strange (and what I'm guessing is going to be Felicia, given the claws on that blurred-out silhouette on the upcoming issue) will be providing back-up in their own way (magically for Strange, thievery for Felicia), but Peter won't have anyone else to rely on to handle Harry, because the Order will either be fighting Peter directly or keeping anyone else from helping him.
    Yeah, a part of me is actually kind of happy that for once the guest heroes aren't taking the focus away from Peter or hijacking the story and character importance, even if it reduces them to obstacles or more marginal characters within the overall story.

Yeah, a part of me is actually kind of happy that for once the guest heroes aren't taking the focus away from Peter or hijacking the story and character importance, even if it reduces them to obstacles or more marginal characters within the overall story.
    It still kinda sucks to use other characters for that, but hey, at least Spidey isn't irrelevant in his own comic again...

Astonishing Member

It still kinda sucks to use other characters for that, but hey, at least Spidey isn't irrelevant in his own comic again...
    Nah, he's still irrelevant. It just means that it's not any of the Spider characters in control.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Nah, he's still irrelevant. It just means that it's not any of the Spider characters in control.
    How's he irrelevant when the story is all about him and he's moving the plot?

I'd understand if it was a Hunted situation where he showed up less for a while, but so far this hasn't happened.

Astonishing Member

How's he irrelevant when the story is all about him and he's moving the plot?

I'd understand if it was a Hunted situation where he showed up less for a while, but so far this hasn't happened.
    He's the focal point, but he doesn't feel in control of his actions is more what I meant, and they don't feel like they really matter.

Of course, a lot of that is a consequence of Kindred's "master plan", whatever that's supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    He's the focal point, but he doesn't feel in control of his actions is more what I meant, and they don't feel like they really matter.

Of course, a lot of that is a consequence of Kindred's "master plan", whatever that's supposed to be.
    Peter is in control of his actions. HE reached back out to MJ to reconcile. HE went back to ESU for his doctorates. HE saved Boomerang from all those bad guys and helped him with the Tablet fragments. HE did the Podcast with Jonah and then reconciled with him. HE went to save Norman Osborn from Sin-Eater, and then HE threw Osborn to him anyway.

Just because you don't see it as Peter making his own choices doesn't mean he's not making his own choices. And they do matter.

As for Kindred's master plan, I guess you'll have to keep reading to find out, huh?