Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Peter is in control of his actions. HE reached back out to MJ to reconcile. HE went back to ESU for his doctorates. HE saved Boomerang from all those bad guys and helped him with the Tablet fragments. HE did the Podcast with Jonah and then reconciled with him. HE went to save Norman Osborn from Sin-Eater, and then HE threw Osborn to him anyway.

Just because you don't see it as Peter making his own choices doesn't mean he's not making his own choices. And they do matter.

As for Kindred's master plan, I guess you'll have to keep reading to find out, huh?
    Too bad, he's right back where he started. I just don't feel like these will actually amount to anything.

Is Marvel going let him get his doctorate and do something with it? Are MJ and Peter just going to keep Gog as a pet? What's Robbie going to do when he finds out his son is dating the daughter of his archenemy?

Not to mention that last point comes off really wishy-washy.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Too bad, he's right back where he started. I just don't feel like these will actually amount to anything.

Is Marvel going let him get his doctorate and do something with it? Are MJ and Peter just going to keep Gog as a pet? What's Robbie going to do when he finds out his son is dating the daughter of his archenemy?

Not to mention that last point comes off really wishy-washy.
    Have you ever heard of a slow burn read??? You don't have to have every answer to this run's questions right now. Spencer is in for the long haul, and he, like he just mentioned in his interview, places importance on every story and knows when they're going to pan out and payoff. So chill and keep reading. I'm sure you'll be surprised!

Astonishing Member

Have you ever heard of a slow burn read??? You don't have to have every answer to this run's questions right now. Spencer is in for the long haul, and he, like he just mentioned in his interview, places importance on every story and knows when they're going to pan out and payoff. So chill and keep reading. I'm sure you'll be surprised!
    There's "slow burn" and then there's "building up to something that will never happen". It was my biggest criticism of Slott's run and is one of my criticisms of this run.

There's "slow burn" and then there's "building up to something that will never happen". It was my biggest criticism of Slott's run and is one of my criticisms of this run.
    How do you know it will never happen? The run isn't even halfway over yet. Dude, I'm sorry, but from this discussion and other discussions I've seen from you, it's almost like you're determined to dislike this run.

My problem with this run isn't the "slow burn", but the fact that most of this plots aren't interesting. Besides Kindred plot, the other plots looks like filler. They don't seem important and I honestly don't care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    My problem with this run isn't the "slow burn", but the fact that most of this plots aren't interesting. Besides Kindred plot, the other plots looks like filler. They don't seem important and I honestly don't care about them.
    Yeah I agree, it's definitely an issue that we had a lot of setup arcs that seemed to be pointless or amount to nothing while everyone thought Kindred was the only important part of the story and it's all it was leading up to. Apparently that couldn't be further from the truth....all the previous arcs are building a story that has pay off at some point after Last Remains and Kindred is a part of it on the side, but he is not the whole story being told here. Maybe it will all make sense at the end, but right now it's very hard to see if it was worth it or not for what has been told prior to Last Remains.

I for one enjoyed most of the first year of arcs and felt that the second year was kind of dull in comparison. So hopefully what comes next will make those previous arcs from Spencer's second year more interesting and feel more critical in hindsight.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 10-17-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Yeah I agree, it's definitely an issue that we had a lot of setup arcs that seemed to be pointless or amount to nothing while everyone thought Kindred was the only important part of the story and it's all it was leading up to. Apparently that couldn't be further from the truth....all the previous arcs are building a story that has pay off at some point after Last Remains and Kindred is a part of it on the side, but he is not the whole story being told here. Maybe it will all make sense at the end, but right now it's very hard to see if it was worth it or not for what has been told prior to Last Remains.

I for one enjoyed most of the first year of arcs and felt that the second year was kind of dull in comparison. So hopefully what comes next will make those previous arcs from Spencer's second year more interesting and feel more critical in hindsight.
    You guys have got to give it time. This run, which we knew from the beginning, was going to be a long run and an incredible story to tell. I know it's hard to see the ending right now, but that's the best part of being a comic reader: being along for the journey. Spencer has done really well thus far (except for "2099"), and I'm sure he will do well now, especially with him starting his halfway point with "Last Remains."

You guys have got to give it time. This run, which we knew from the beginning, was going to be a long run and an incredible story to tell. I know it's hard to see the ending right now, but that's the best part of being a comic reader: being along for the journey. Spencer has done really well thus far (except for "2099"), and I'm sure he will do well now, especially with him starting his halfway point with "Last Remains."
    Oh I'm definitely in it for the long haul. I trust what Spencer is doing and I'm absolutely loving the book again since the start of Sins Rising. However for a few arcs there in the second year it definitely felt like the book was just giving some filler arcs while waiting for a milestone issue to start moving again. The interview made me realize those issues aren't just breaks from the story but they are leading to something big and I'm very excited to see what this is leading to....

Astonishing Member

So the difference is that you always liked his run, even the parts that other readers considered to be boring. That feels like the deciding factor in your decision. You don’t really consider it to be a slow burn.

Honestly, the only story arc I liked was the “Lifetime Achievement” one, and I still felt like that was too decompressed. It’s safe to say that finding out the Kindred mystery is the only thing keeping me on board, and I just found out that it wasn’t worth it.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 10-17-2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: missing word

I wonder if MJ is going to be a more consistent part of the book now that her series is over and she'll be back in Last Rites.

Incredible Member

So the difference is that you always liked his run, even the parts that other readers considered to be boring. That feels like the deciding factor in your decision. You don’t really consider it to be a slow burn.

Honestly, the story arc I liked was the “Lifetime Achievement” one, and I still felt like that was too decompressed. It’s safe to say that finding out the Kindred mystery is the only thing keeping me on board, and I just found out that it wasn’t worth it.
    Agree with every word here.

Kindred has been the only thing holding my attention and that starts all the way back with the first issue. Didn't get much from the separation of Peter/Spidey. Nothing was truly explored during their separation. Then they were shoehorned back together. Maybe this might come back now? But I doubt it.

MJ gets brought back (not a thing for me, but ok) yet Peter is roomies with Boomerang and Robbie (and a pet Gog). Nice for a few punchlines and maybe, possibly Boomerang may mean something to this latest plot? We'll see.

I'm not sure what Aunt May is doing; we check on her so infrequently. Not a big deal these days, but his thoughts don't even mention her.

Norman Osborn goes from strait jacket to running Ravencroft "off panel" (thankfully, this board filled me in). Yet Spencer wants to plug his LR books as necessary reading. Unfortunately, I subscribe through Midtown and was told I had to receive the LR books (I was trying to not get them)! Anyone want to place bets that January/February solicits will probably push an "All-New" ongoing for one the members of the Order of the Web (if not a team book of the entire Order)?

The run hasn't been bad but it's not truly holding my attention either. Say what you want about Slott, but I at least KNEW what Peter Parker did when he wasn't Spider-man. I would have to actually flip through Spencer's run to figure out the answer to that question. I do vaguely recall him working with Connors (as teacher or student?) and then that whole future telling invention he helped get working. Is he getting paid from that? Does Boomerang cover everything? I don't know!

At any rate, I'm onboard for these 11 issues of LR. We'll see if he can keep me hooked when it's all over.

Honestly, the story arc I liked was the “Lifetime Achievement” one, and I still felt like that was too decompressed. It’s safe to say that finding out the Kindred mystery is the only thing keeping me on board, and I just found out that it wasn’t worth it.
    I'm not saying every arc of his thus far has been a winner. I glazed over "Who Run The World?" and disliked how "2099" progressed. So I agree with Vortex85 about the period where the book lost momentum. But like he alluded to, even those arcs that may have been boring are building to something.

Honestly, at this point, I think you'd find more fulfillment in dropping the book. It sounds like you aren't getting enjoyment out of it's current style, and that's alright. There is a more action-packed Spider-Man ongoing launching in January called Non-Stop Spider-Man with Joe Kelly and Chris Bachalo. Maybe that's more your cup of tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if MJ is going to be a more consistent part of the book now that her series is over and she'll be back in Last Rites.
    I'm guessing so! January will tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

Kindred has been the only thing holding my attention and that starts all the way back with the first issue. Didn't get much from the separation of Peter/Spidey. Nothing was truly explored during their separation. Then they were shoehorned back together. Maybe this might come back now? But I doubt it.

MJ gets brought back (not a thing for me, but ok) yet Peter is roomies with Boomerang and Robbie (and a pet Gog). Nice for a few punchlines and maybe, possibly Boomerang may mean something to this latest plot? We'll see.

I'm not sure what Aunt May is doing; we check on her so infrequently. Not a big deal these days, but his thoughts don't even mention her.

Norman Osborn goes from strait jacket to running Ravencroft "off panel" (thankfully, this board filled me in). Yet Spencer wants to plug his LR books as necessary reading. Unfortunately, I subscribe through Midtown and was told I had to receive the LR books (I was trying to not get them)! Anyone want to place bets that January/February solicits will probably push an "All-New" ongoing for one the members of the Order of the Web (if not a team book of the entire Order)?

The run hasn't been bad but it's not truly holding my attention either. Say what you want about Slott, but I at least KNEW what Peter Parker did when he wasn't Spider-man. I would have to actually flip through Spencer's run to figure out the answer to that question. I do vaguely recall him working with Connors (as teacher or student?) and then that whole future telling invention he helped get working. Is he getting paid from that? Does Boomerang cover everything? I don't know!

At any rate, I'm onboard for these 11 issues of LR. We'll see if he can keep me hooked when it's all over.
    Peter, as he explains in issue #44, has been using the money he got from his "Uper-Hero" profits, which was a lot apparently. But Norah Winters, his old "Front Line" co-worker, offered him a job with her new tabloid site "Threats & Menaces" in #43. Just thought I'd clear that up, as your other points are valid.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

Very well stated. Aside from Kindred, maybe the Hunted storyline was interesting enough to recall. The rest is just meh. This book still reads to me like a companion Spider-book like PPSM back in the day, and not the flagship title it should be.