Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 155
  1. #91
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Then probably they will pair his wife with Nightcrawler since is what most fans want, I guess.
    Oh god, please no...

  2. #92
    Astonishing Member Veitha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Or it could mean that he gave it to her be a it was needed for magic whatever and he trusted her with it more than he did with himself? Especially since all the other sword folk are mutants from Krakoa and he’s not so it was probably supposed to go to her?
    I know a don’t know a ton about Captain Britain stuff, but in the beginning of this run, Brian gets possessed, fights it off just enough to give betsy the amulet to save her and make her Captain Britain, and then because of the possession and sword thing, spent the rest of the run in a deep depression. But now he is coniving, trying to force the sword on betsy and snatch the amulet back?

    Although the ‘it’s for dramatic tension before Brian sacrifices himself’ is quite probable...
    The prophecy talks about both of them, so he knows he's got to go. The Sword of Might has a very specific meaning.

  3. #93
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    As someone who only read Excalibur 1, and will probably only read it because is part of the event, I don't know what is the doubt here.

    Is clear that Brian have 99.999% chance of dying in this, and that the whole problem is just so Betsy can have the right amount of angsty going forward. Probably before sacrificing himlself to defeat some foe we never heard of before, Brian will use his last moments to tell Betsy that she is totally worthy of the Captain Britain title, actually she is more worthy than he ever was.

    After that, she will be honoring her brother instead of "stealing" his mantle. Then probably they will pair his wife with Nightcrawler since is what most fans want, I guess.
    Ahhh that reminds me of so many bad comics. Some golden eras like Countdown to crisis DC.

    As for the rest of this thread it's speculation about many things. Yet based on experience some of it seems highly likely. I will not be reading this issue so I'm looking forward to any spoiler/review. This title and the threads it creates resembles some reality show or soap opera. I'm trying to avoid it but the spectacle of it all is entertaining. How bad can it go? The sky, or if you prefer the hole, seems endless.

  4. #94
    Mighty Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    The only Kirby I know is Jack.

    So, when you say "uh, she's the worse".... you're referring to Betsy or Tini? Either way it sounds like a very hateful comment.


    That being said...the writing is indeed weak. But we have better ways to express our frustration. Ways that don't insult a writer. Specially a female one. And ways that don't insult a character's fandom.
    I meant Betsy, not Howard. I don't like Howard's writing but I wouldn't say that about her. And frankly, this is my first experience reading a story with Betsy, and its a terrible showing. I honestly feel bad for her fans, because I imagine reading this series is like reading Fallen Angels was like for X-23 fans like me.

    That theory about Brian hurts because of how plausible it sounds. There are so many unfortunate implications and ideas that can spring from it, but I'll save those for in case it actually happens. But like someone said above it sounds like something DC has done before
    Last edited by pkingdom; 10-16-2020 at 03:25 PM.

  5. #95
    X-Cultist nx01a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    47°9′S 126°43′W
    Posts
    12,110

    Default

    Betsy needs to make her own way in the world... and not by stealing bodies or mantles so she can live out her 80s power fantasies.
    She can be *a* Captain Britain again. She doesn't have to be *the* Captain Britain.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

  6. #96
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,070

    Default

    Making it that much more clear that Marvel gave little to no thought to her past putting her back into an English body...

  7. #97
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Hmm.. Perhaps I was not clear. X of swords has been very straight forward. For example, I am not reading Marauders but I didn't really need to. It was just storm going to Wakanada to get a sword. The history of the sword was explained clearly and we see Storm go get it. Same with Wolverine's needlessly long adventure.

    Excalibur is different, going by the preview. Betsy is gifted her sword in the first pages and she is pissed at her bro because of something only someone who reads Excalibur can explain.
    Hellions issue opened with somebody getting resurrected who died in an earlier Hellions issue.

  8. #98
    Hey slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Yeah idk about that, FIGHT. I've only been reading Excalibur, Hellions, New Mutants, and Marauders. All books so far have read to me so far like I've needed to know at least a little bit about what's been going on in the respective book to get the most out of it.

    Most chapters of X of Swords so far has been straightforward, but with a tad bit of greater understanding gleaned from knowing the book and its development. Idk how you're able to judge that you'll need to know so much more about Excalibur compared to the rest from these two pages. Every book so far has detailed pages about the swords, and Betsy isn't even being handed her sword, that one isn't hers.

    But I think I see what you're trying to say, just disagree as it's a call that can only logically be made after the whole thing is available.

  9. #99
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,097

    Default

    We know that Brian will properly claim the Sword of Might and become a Captain again in this event, he and Betsy will very likely share the title afterwards. Saturnyne is responsible for this contest and she has made it clear how much she prefers Brian, I seriously doubt he's going to die.

  10. #100
    Astonishing Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    We know that Brian will properly claim the Sword of Might and become a Captain again in this event, he and Betsy will very likely share the title afterwards. Saturnyne is responsible for this contest and she has made it clear how much she prefers Brian, I seriously doubt he's going to die.
    I doubt it. Unfortunately I think this is all to move all of the Captain Britain assets over to Betsy permanently. There has always been a lack of enthusiasm from US writers for Brian as a hero, this would solve their problem once and for all. Saturnyne's attitude to Betsy very much mirrors her attitude to Brian in the Moore/Davis CB strip, where she constantly put him down and was critical of him, despite some attraction (people seem to get Saturnyne and Sat-Yr-Nin confused). I think Tini is looking to recreate that dynamic with Betsy.

  11. #101
    Spectacular Member Lady Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Hellions issue opened with somebody getting resurrected who died in an earlier Hellions issue.
    With the statement that this had happened several days earlier before the system failed.

  12. #102
    Mighty Member pkingdom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    I don't want to get too far into it because its just a theory, but that would be such a disservice to Brian. The way this run has gone, he's been taken out offscreen by a villain that got easily stopped by the main cast, forcibly lost his powers and got handed the alternative that he adamantly has not wanted, been mocked relentlessly by his hideously evil brother and been sidelined in a conflict around the Otherworld, a place that is his job to protect. And he's been nothing but supportive to Betsy the whole time. Its a bad way to build up Betsy at his expense like this.

  13. #103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I meant Betsy, not Howard. I don't like Howard's writing but I wouldn't say that about her. And frankly, this is my first experience reading a story with Betsy, and its a terrible showing. I honestly feel bad for her fans, because I imagine reading this series is like reading Fallen Angels was like for X-23 fans like me.

    That theory about Brian hurts because of how plausible it sounds. There are so many unfortunate implications and ideas that can spring from it, but I'll save those for in case it actually happens. But like someone said above it sounds like something DC has done before
    It’s a tad strong then to call a fan favorite “the worse” if you really are not very familiar character. Even if I don’t like a character I won’t go hating on them online, specially in a thread of a book where she’s one of the main characters.
    A picture would last longer darling...

  14. #104
    Spectacular Member Chessboxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    This is a bizarre interaction. I'm seeing everyone thinking Betsy has some sort of weird passive aggressive complex about the sword, when the entire reason they're coming is to bring it because the conflict requires it.

    Ugh, she's just the worst.

    Whoever does this is going to be putting their life on the line for Krakoa. The bolded 'come get me when you need someone to go through the gate!' makes it sound like she's mocking him for being human. Is she angry that she thinks HE'S been chosen for this? I'm just really, really confused.
    I think you might have hit the head why I am so lukewarm on this title. It has a lot of interesting concepts I like, but I just don't find Betsy that likeable of a character. Its compounded by the fact I am not familiar with her to begin with. I stayed with the title for a while because of Apocalypse and the art(Marcus To), but she's pretty much the main character of the title so you are obviously going to get large doses of her.

  15. #105
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I meant Betsy, not Howard. I don't like Howard's writing but I wouldn't say that about her. And frankly, this is my first experience reading a story with Betsy, and its a terrible showing. I honestly feel bad for her fans, because I imagine reading this series is like reading Fallen Angels was like for X-23 fans like me.

    That theory about Brian hurts because of how plausible it sounds. There are so many unfortunate implications and ideas that can spring from it, but I'll save those for in case it actually happens. But like someone said above it sounds like something DC has done before
    Well, Marvel is still trying to find a new identity for Betsy.

    After they realized they were sitting on a time bomb with her on Kwanon's body the probably changed her without thinking about what they would do after. They knew the name Psylocke was associated to a sexy japanese ninja and not with a sexy british aristocrat, so Kwannon got the codename and Betsy...

    Then someone remembered that she was tied to all this lore, Avalon, Otherworld, Merlin, Arthurian legend, magic and the best thing, a really cool mantle: Captain Britain, it came with a uniform, with powers, and so much story potential.
    The only thing on the way was her brother, who didn't have a comic for decades, and the ones he appeared he wasn't shown on the best light, so there was no doubt about it, she would be Captain Britain.
    Now they are just getting him out of the way.

    But, it could be worse, Hal Jordan went crazy and killed all Green Lanterns just so DC could have a Spider-Man stand in on his place. Think about it, Tini could have kept Brian dead and moved on, but if she kills him on X of Swords, he may get a good send off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •