Retired

Default What was "Brand I" (circa 1966)?

Reading some Superman comics from the 1960s and in the letter columns the readers and the editor refer to "Brand I," in a pejorative fashion. But what the heck is a "Brand I?" I assume they are referring to Marvel Comics, but why would it be an "I" brand? I know that Marvel sometimes called itself "The House of Ideas" (but National Periodicals would use the same slogan)--it seems like a real stretch to go from "House of Ideas" to "Brand I." Maybe the "I" refers to how ego-centric Stan Lee was in his promotion of Marvel back then--as it was all about him. Or is it "I" for Irving Forbush? As a derogatory label it seems awfully strained. I usually can remember all the hip 1960s lingo, but this "Brand I" has got me stumped.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Thanks for that. You relieved a lot of pressure on my brain. It is curious the subtle distinction between Marvel and D.C. I remember someone in AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS [maybe Elliot Maggin or Cary Bates] pointing out the difference between National Periodicals and their competitor--they'd have a title like A.W.O.D.C.C. whereas the Marvelous Competition would have a title like F.O.O.M.

Pat Curley's comment in that link--

I'm amused that he thinks that DC was being more courteous by referring to Marvel as Brand I. In fact, that stemmed from a letter in Action Comics #332, when a Howard Berger wrote in mentioning the Brand Echh nickname Stan used and suggested that Marvel be known as Brand I for the editor's "I Complex" for "How great I am and how great are my stories." He also suggested that Marvels were "Imitations". He closed by asking the editor what he thought of the suggestion, and Weisinger replied, "Marvelous!"
    --explains the inside joke, but it's hardly a "sick burn." It's the kind of cerebral wisecrack that you would find from D.C.--their comics were more ironic than ribald in their humour (at least before Bat-Mania imposed broad camp comedy on some comic books). The joke in "Brand Echh!" is obvious from Marvel, the joke in "Brand I" depends on a near Masonic knowledge to get it.

I actually think that is courteous, of a fashion. The National Periodical editors were above street fighting--they practiced the gentlemanly art of word play--like courtiers from the ancien régime.