Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    They confused edgy with cool then.
    Still do today.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

You know I thought about this a lot and I felt at least Marvel wasn't all that edgy (or dark) and that was more the 80s. 90's X-Men def had more of a family feel, so did the 80's but I think Jean and Scott were more like your mom and dad and Professor Xavier was more your grandpa during the blue and gold era post Jim Lee of course which was all of ten issues. 80;s Claremont cornered the market on dark and depressing and so did Spider-Man, Daredevil and Cloak and Dagger, etc. Then there is of course mid/late 80s Batman. I think the hype was all in the guns and the hair.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 10-25-2020 at 08:25 PM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Oh man the 1990s and the internet. Dial-up and no censorship whatsoever. Newsgroups. DWANGO. I never, ever want to go back to most of that. But Ebay was nice when it first started, I wish it was a bit more like that again.
    I miss Newsgroups. Frankly, it still exists in other forms, but not so quaint.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

IMO the 90's had 3 separate aesthetic segments. The late 80's early 90's, the mid 90's, and the late 90's early 00's.

The early 90's was all bright and "radical", the mid 90's was peak darker and edgier for the decade with the hight of grudge, alt metal/rock, and gangsta rap/hardcore hip-hop. The late 90's ushered in the beginning stages of the Y2K aesthetics and the counter-counter culture of pop music after the deaths of Cobain, Pac, Biggie etc.

The 90's was probably the most diverse decade compared to the 80's, which was pretty much mono style 80's all the way through (for the most part) lol. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 11-10-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I miss Newsgroups. Frankly, it still exists in other forms, but not so quaint.
    By "quaint," might you mean "respectful and civilized?"