Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    But those birth years were established after Earth Two was established, not in actual early published works, right?

Late bronze age, Wolfman has Dick start Robining at 8 and Dick and Donna knowing each other since 13. But, of course, she wasn't even introduced until Dick was 15. Can't recall if he explicitly said the Teen Titans formed at 13 or not. Wally was actually in 9th grade (originally, in silver age verse, not bronze or post-COIE) when he got his powers. Garth was weird - he seemed much younger until they decided he was a teenager for Teen Titans, rather like Damian. Of course, Dick was also a junior just a few months before they decided it was time to ship him off to college. Comic books just do that. At least, DC does.
    Yeah, and I've heard that Bruce was originally thought of as vaguely 30 but I don't remember where.

Oh so that where the 8 came from, but then Bruce would need to be 18 at least when he started, so I don't think that's written in consideration with the other ages. I wonder if he and Devin Grayson also saw the birthday spanking issue and counted backwards to the publication date like me, and concluded it was 8.

I saw Silver Age Wally and he looks like a baby in a onesie ^^

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh so that where the 8 came from, but then Bruce would need to be 18 at least when he started, so I don't think that's written in consideration with the other ages. I wonder if he and Devin Grayson also saw the birthday spanking issue and counted backwards to the publication date like me, and concluded it was 8.
    I'm pretty sure she had that form Wolfmann's NTT. She wrote Titans before Nightwing, and I think she was a fan of NTT.

Actually, that would have made it his 8th birthday and him starting at 7, if I recall correctly. But he had 14 candles on his cake.

I saw Silver Age Wally and he looks like a baby in a onesie ^^
    Oh yeah, he was a scrawny kid. But specifically shown to be attending high school in his second (and many subsequent) appearances. And 14 seems to be the time a lot of boys go from looking like kids to suddenly having broad(er) shoulders and so forth. For a while there, girls are just (generally) so much bigger than boys, since puberty hits them sooner.

But when first introduced, Garth (actually, I don't think he got a name until the 1980s) was tinier than Dick or Wally or Roy ever were in their histories to that point.
    Tiny Garth.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Or maybe to kids back then, characters even in just their early 20s would read as much older father figures to them?
    Haven't seen the show to far, but Iain Glen and Batman seems really of for me, and the Robin actors are imo also at least 5 years to old for their roles.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although with B:TAS they just kind of skipped ahead to when Dick was in college despite the fact that he had been a young Robin off-screen.

I've never really gotten this big brother/little brother dynamic. That's just never seemed like their relationship to me.
    Yeah but they had the flashback episode where Dick was adopted, and he was around 10-12. Bruce had the same character model as he did in the MOTP flashback scenes, so he was fresh out of college himself.

Big sibling/mentor figures can take on parent like roles, but he would either be too young to literally be Dick's father or just barely old enough. It may be a cross between siblings and father/son, but they seemed too much like peers as younger men to be a straight father/son thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Haven't seen the show to far, but Iain Glen and Batman seems really of for me, and the Robin actors are imo also at least 5 years to old for their roles.
    I thought he was being cast as Alfred, then when I heard he was Bruce I was like "wait, the ****?"

I thought he was being cast as Alfred, then when I heard he was Bruce I was like "wait, the ****?"
    I liked Iain as Bruce. One of the very few things I genuinely liked about Season 2 besides Conner.

Edit: now that we are talking about Iain Glen and aged up characters, the kids from Game of Thrones were also aged up like 5 years or so, Every one of them but the younger one from the Starks, if I recall. Apparently, it worked better that way in television (and was less problematic, I guess)
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-18-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I liked Iain as Bruce. One of the very few things I genuinely liked about Season 2 besides Conner.

Edit: now that we are talking about Iain Glen and aged up characters, the kids from Game of Thrones were also aged up like 5 years or so, Every one of them but the younger one from the Starks, if I recall. Apparently, it worked better that way in television (and was less problematic, I guess)
    Considering the oldest ones are supposed to be like, 15 or so, at the start, yeah.

Astonishing Member

Bruce: 40

Selina: 37

Dick: 25

Barbara: 25

Jason: 21

Tim: 18

Damian: 13

Alfred: 65

Gordon: 55

Kate: 35

Steph: 18

Cass: 16

Big sibling/mentor figures can take on parent like roles, but he would either be too young to literally be Dick's father or just barely old enough. It may be a cross between siblings and father/son, but they seemed too much like peers as younger men to be a straight father/son thing.
    I see them more as peers as crime-fighters than just like peers in terms of siblings, but that's just me.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Bruce: 48

Selina: 42

Dick: 35

Barbara: 37

Tim: 23

Damian: 10

Gordon: 68

Kate: 35

Steph: 24

Cass: 24

I'm estimating for Post Crisis not Post Flashpoint.

A lot of my guesses are based of the those made by 'The Real Batman Chronology Blog"

https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...modern-ages-2/
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-19-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Bats- 45
    Selina-43
    Dick- 27
    Babs- 29
    Jason- 25
    Tim- 19
    Steph-19
    Cass- 21
    Duke- 16
    Damian- 14
    Kate- 35
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post

For me he just doesn't look like Bruce and he is way to old.

Iain Glen is almost 60, meaning he has to be Batman for 30+ years at this point.

In my mind (and the stories I've written) is like this:

Alfdred in his sixties, three or four years older than Leslie.

Gordon in his early fifties.

Bruce, Kate and Selina in their forties. Kate maybe two years younger than her cousin and pseudo-cousin-in-law.

Dick and Babs in their late twenties. Same age or Babs one year older.

Jason in his early-to-mid twenties.

Tim, Steph and Cass arriving to their 20's. Cass one or two years older than Tim and Steph.

Damian is thirteen.

I haven't thought about Duke yet. I gues 15-16 seems about right.

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure how much the timeline has changed since the nu52, but if we're using that to some extent:

Bruce - 36
    Dick - 27
    Alfred - 58
    Commissioner Gordon - 49
    Jason - 23
    Tim - 20
    Damien - 13
    Barbara - 27
    Cass - 20
    Steph - 20
    Selina - 34
    Joker - 36
    Harley - 32
    Poison Ivy - 34
    Talia - 34
    2-Face - 39

If we're going by pre-nu52:

Bruce - 41
    Dick - 29
    Alfred - 63
    Commissioner Gordon - 54
    Jason - 23
    Tim - 20
    Damien - 13
    Barbara - 29
    Cass - 20
    Steph - 20
    Selina - 38
    Joker - 41
    Harley - 35
    Poison Ivy - 38
    Talia - 38
    2-Face - 44

If we're going by my personal timeline:

Bruce - 45
    Dick - 29
    Alfred - 67
    Commissioner Gordon - 61
    Jason - 23
    Tim - 20
    Damien - 13
    Barbara - 29
    Cass - 20
    Steph - 20
    Selina - 38
    Joker - 45
    Harley - 37
    Poison Ivy - 38
    Talia - 38
    2-Face - 48
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-21-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

New 52 really seemed to de-age the characters, and who knows where current continuity is but my best guess would be.

Bruce- 37
    Selina- 31

Jean Paul Valley- 28
    Helena Bertinelli- 28
    Dick Grayson- 25
    Barbara- 25
    Jason- 23
    Tim-20
    Stephanie-19
    Cassie- 18
    Duke- 18
    Damian- 14

Alfred- 65
    Gordon- 58
    Bullock- 48

Not batfamily but I would say:

Harley- 33
    Joker- 45
    Two- Face- 40
    Mr. Freeze- 35
    Bane- 30
    Poison Ivy-29
    Riddler-42
    Penguin-55
    Talia- 35
    Shiva- 38
    Last edited by regg215; 10-20-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard