Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Okay I admit it. I was wrong about newer comics...

As you all know I am nuts about older comics. I just didnt have much interest in newer stuff as I though it wouldnt be as much fun for me. I love 60's and 70's and have read very little stuff past 1975. There was the odd stuff there and there like Savage Avengers, Jane Foster, and Doom, and Superior Spiderman (The first series) but that very much was the exception. But I really enjoyed these tittles so I thought I would give some other newer stuff a try.

SO i started with 2014 Ms Marvel to see what the hype was about, as well as the 2014 Slott Run of Amazing Spiderman, Spiderman Life Story and I also Read House of X and Powers of X.

I really loved Ms Marvel I read the 19 issues of the 2014 run. I loved everything about it. I loved her character, I loved her interactions with her family. I loved it all. She has quickly moved her way into my top five favorite Marvel Characters.

Life story blew me away. It is ranked up there with Superman/Batman Generations as my favorite story of all time.

I am really enjoying Slotts Amazing Spiderman as it is fun to see what happened right after Superior Spiderman and him rebuilding his life.

House and Powers of X the jury is still out on. I enjoyed reading them and thought the story was good. But it was so different then the Xmen I am used to. I am going to move on and read the Dawn of X titles and have an open mind. I am just not used to how they Xmen are acting.

I am still reading older stuff. I am on 1967 right now. But I am mixing some newer stuff in there as well. And I do not regret it
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Glad to know there’s quality in recent stuff. The contrary would be depressing.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Although my tatses have been changing over my 50 years of fandom, there have always been books I've liked and other I wouldn't want to read. The minority of books I buy now are characters I've followed for decades. Most are either series with creators I find interesting or limited series that attract my attention. If someone is getting to the point that they have to work hard to find a book to their liking, it may be time to lay off the hobby, But for me, there's always something out there I'd like to read and find worth the money. I wouldn't say a lot, but enough to be worth the effort.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Read Immortal Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Read Immortal Hulk.
    Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Woman as well.

Immortal Hulk is not just a great modern comic, it's got be one of the best runs period. I don't have a lot of hope for Marvel thee days, or comics in general, but there are some books that are still carrying the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Woman as well.
    I am reading Spiderman just the 1960s and 2014. I am working my way up to the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Read Immortal Hulk.
    is there a run I should read before starting on Immortal Hulk?

Also does anyone have any ideas on Daredevil and The Avengers?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    As you all know I am nuts about older comics. I just didnt have much interest in newer stuff as I though it wouldnt be as much fun for me. I love 60's and 70's and have read very little stuff past 1975. There was the odd stuff there and there like Savage Avengers, Jane Foster, and Doom, and Superior Spiderman (The first series) but that very much was the exception. But I really enjoyed these tittles so I thought I would give some other newer stuff a try.

SO i started with 2014 Ms Marvel to see what the hype was about, as well as the 2014 Slott Run of Amazing Spiderman, Spiderman Life Story and I also Read House of X and Powers of X.

I really loved Ms Marvel I read the 19 issues of the 2014 run. I loved everything about it. I loved her character, I loved her interactions with her family. I loved it all. She has quickly moved her way into my top five favorite Marvel Characters.

Life story blew me away. It is ranked up there with Superman/Batman Generations as my favorite story of all time.

I am really enjoying Slotts Amazing Spiderman as it is fun to see what happened right after Superior Spiderman and him rebuilding his life.

House and Powers of X the jury is still out on. I enjoyed reading them and thought the story was good. But it was so different then the Xmen I am used to. I am going to move on and read the Dawn of X titles and have an open mind. I am just not used to how they Xmen are acting.

I am still reading older stuff. I am on 1967 right now. But I am mixing some newer stuff in there as well. And I do not regret it
    There's a lot of great new comics.

Try Immortal Hulk, its a brilliant mix of horror and superhero stuff. I think it just might be the best Hulk run ever.

Daredevil by Zdarsky is great too. IMO, Spencer's current Spider-man run is even better than Slott's own.

If you're an anti-hero guy, Cates is working wonders on Venom.

Ultimate Member

I am reading Spiderman just the 1960s and 2014. I am working my way up to the new stuff.

Avengers is...well, you might want to try it yourself and find out. But for my money, it's not been worth it at all.

BANNED

You don't need to read anything before Immortal Hulk to get what's happening, just having a general knowledge on Hulk and well knowing that Banner died in Civil War 2 event helps, but that's it. Just so you know Immortal Hulk is heavy on gore and horror and has some very, very heavy and complex themes in it, it's not a casual read, the Hell arc in particular gets really heavy into Kabbalah(Jewish mysticism), which is something that i was for instance almost completely unfamiliar with.

Daredevil is great, Avengers are terrible is the short of it.

Only vaguely Avengers-related, but if you haven't read Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run, you should; that's a we;;-written classic.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Black Bolt is really good.

Incredible Member

Can I suggest you read Thanos by Lemire, Old Man Logan by Lemire, Thanos Wins by Cates, Cosmic Ghost Rider by Cates, Silver Surfer Black by Cates, Venom by Cates, Guardians by Cates (basically everything by Cates lol), and Jason Aaron's entire Thor run.

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil is going to be a classic. Great artwork by Checchetto too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil is going to be a classic. Great artwork by Checchetto too.
    Came here to say this.