Spectacular Member

Default Is the DC Comics timeline still happening?

At NYCC last year the official DC Timeline was teased and I think recently it was mentioned that a reboot wouldn't happen but the idea was to create an official DC Timeline that lines everything up. Already I can see pre-flashpoint elements being included into Dark Nights: Death Metal. I was just wondering weather we'll see more of this after Death Metal?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Since they already made it, I can see them using it as a baseline

I guess they could still salvage most of the original timeline by not commiting to specific dates.
    Only early JSA stuff should be era-specific and all the rest should be left vague. Something like:

Late 30's: JSAers debut
    Mid 50's: Most of them leave their super-hero identities.
    Then cut to:
    Around 35 years ago: Kal-El's rocket lands
    Around 15 years ago: Superman debuts - a new age of heroes begins.
    - The JL is formed
    - The JSAers who are still alive come out of retirement.

Keep most of the Pre-FP history intact, with some elements of Pre-Crisis and some very select Post-FP sprinkled in.
    This way you'd have the JSA as the first heroes. Some of them would still be around and have kids the age of Dick's Titans due to their powers.
    The JL would be very experienced. Satellite era happened, Cyborg joined years after the NTT disbanded.
    Oh, and I'd totally ignore things like Heroes in Crisis, Identity Crisis, Amazons Attack, Cry for Justice etc. They would have only happened in the Dark Multiverse and serve as warning of how dreary things can get if the heroes fail.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

We have no idea since it hasn't been mentioned ever since they announced it. The only things we're seeing are JSA hints and NTT flashbacks.

I hope we still get it.

Extraordinary Member

Other than a very loose inhouse timeline, they should just stay away from it. It won't survive the first story written by a hot shot writer looking to reinvent the character.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

DC gains absolutely nothing by committing to specific ages or dates for most of their big characters. I don't expect they'll ever release the timeline, except as an extra years from now whenever they decide to squeeze a few more dollars out of the hardcore fans who are still interested in the whole Rebirth/Doomsday Clock/Death Metal/5G behind the scenes drama.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Say what you will about Zero Hour (the event itself anyway), it provided the most clear & concise timeline for the DCU. It had fixed points in time for certain events (i.e. JSA debut) but everything else occurred within a 10 year window.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Other than a very loose inhouse timeline, they should just stay away from it.
    I would be OK with an inhouse timeline.

I just want them to sort out wich important events are in continuity and which are not, and in which order, and for the characters to have consistent age differences and not to randomly ageing up or down realtive to each other or be handed down from one Generation of heros to the next.

I just want them to sort out wich important events are in continuity and which are not, and in which order, and for the characters to have consistent age differences and not to randomly ageing up or down realtive to each other or be handed down from one Generation of heros to the next.
    So much this. So much.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Other than a very loose inhouse timeline, they should just stay away from it. It won't survive the first story written by a hot shot writer looking to reinvent the character.
    The present won't survive, but most of the past will. The most a hotshot new writer can change the past is something like Rogol Zaar, but not the entire timeline. It took Snyder and Johns years before they can play with timeline.

I hope not. I think it might be another thing from the previous management that has been scrapped.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The present won't survive, but most of the past will. The most a hotshot new writer can change the past is something like Rogol Zaar, but not the entire timeline. It took Snyder and Johns years before they can play with timeline.
    A timeline only needs to exist to refer things in the past. Writers only refer to things in the past to change it, and even if the intention is to establish something mundane in the present it is not hard to make some reference that is not caught and the timeline WatchGuard demand an inquiry.