Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you be okay if Darkseid and the New Gods stopped being multiversal?

I mean with the Dark Multiverse, DCeased and so forth I honestly feel like we are past the point of saying the New Gods have no dopplegangers. I honestly think it'd be more interesting if Darkseid was stripped of his multiverse presence as a punishment for all the things he's done. I think it'd be cool if he worked with Trigon and crossed the Presence and got on his bad side and at end the Presence reduced Darkseid and the other New Gods to the same level as gods like Zeus and so forth and by the end Darkseid woke up to find himself and the other new gods severely reduced in power and discovered there was now a Darkseid in every universe.

It was always a shoddy explanation when you have certain narratives, specifically other media adaptations, that feature the New Gods. Are we to assume the Darkseid showing up in Young Justice is the same one Kirby created? What about the one from Smallville? Or the one in the DCAU who was killed off?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It was always a shoddy explanation when you have certain narratives, specifically other media adaptations, that feature the New Gods. Are we to assume the Darkseid showing up in Young Justice is the same one Kirby created? What about the one from Smallville? Or the one in the DCAU who was killed off?
    Exactly. I feel like it's a shaky idea at best and would be better if they just retconned or changed the idea all together. Besides I prefer Kirby's original concept and found him more interesting by making alternate Darkseid's they can bring back that version and keep newer versions around as well.

I’d rather a lot of the New Gods and Fourth World stuff be put on the back burner for a while honestly.

But yeah, get rid of multiverse constant, Transformers tried this out with some of their deity-like figures and was just too confusing and for its own good.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have never liked this idea (or most of Morrisons idea when it comes to how to handle the New Gods to be honest) so I would be more than happy to just bury that bad idea and let it be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’d rather a lot of the New Gods and Fourth World stuff be put on the back burner for a while honestly.

But yeah, get rid of multiverse constant, Transformers tried this out with some of their deity-like figures and was just too confusing and for its own good.
    Yeah they had to do an event where Unicron was split across the multiverse or something just to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have never liked this idea (or most of Morrisons idea when it comes to how to handle the New Gods to be honest) so I would be more than happy to just bury that bad idea and let it be forgotten.
    That's the way I feel, too.

Nah keep it. Let the New gods have their own corner. I'd rather they just stopped using Darkseid as a JL villain for a while and actually focus on the New Genesis/ Apokolips war. I feel them being Multiversal allows them to distance themselves from the main heroes and their tiresome events.

BANNED

the new gods are normal gods, but Darkseid and Highfather as their leaders are multiversal, gods in an eternal fight, Darkseid uses avatars to consume universes and thus increase his power, but the Highfather creates avatars to protect those universes, the avatars are so different for their fight they consume a large part of their power, that is why the avatars only have enough energy to fulfill their purposes.

They already did retcon it lol. What’s “canon” now is that every universe has its own “avatar” of the New Gods, but the “true” Multiversal New Gods are beyond the ability of mortals/non-New Gods to beat, and the only time the “true” Darkseid showed up was Final Crisis where his presence in the Multiverse was so toxic he was killing it just by being there. So when the JL beats up Darkseid on Earth 0, they’re just beating up the Earth 0 Darkseid Avatar, not the true Darkseid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They already did retcon it lol. What’s “canon” now is that every universe has its own “avatar” of the New Gods, but the “true” Multiversal New Gods are beyond the ability of mortals/non-New Gods to beat, and the only time the “true” Darkseid showed up was Final Crisis where his presence in the Multiverse was so toxic he was killing it just by being there. So when the JL beats up Darkseid on Earth 0, they’re just beating up the Earth 0 Darkseid Avatar, not the true Darkseid.
    And this right here is why I prefer it. I’d rather think Doomsday or Superman beat up avatars of the New God then the actual New God himself. I like the idea their bigger than the universe. I’d love it to see more lore focused on the New gods and away from everything else or maybe even including everything. Visiting different worlds with different avatars

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Agreed, it's an idea that sounds cool at first but doesn't hold up, the avatar thing always seemed like a weird half measure/excuse but it is too limiting if they ever tried to double down on it for real. Should just scrap it entirely.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    And this right here is why I prefer it. I’d rather think Doomsday or Superman beat up avatars of the New God then the actual New God himself. I like the idea their bigger than the universe. I’d love it to see more lore focused on the New gods and away from everything else or maybe even including everything. Visiting different worlds with different avatars
    Yeah, I prefer this concept as well. It makes them distinct, and I'd rather they not be so routinely subjected to continuity changes anyway. They play by different rules and only come out to play for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I mean with the Dark Multiverse, DCeased and so forth I honestly feel like we are past the point of saying the New Gods have no dopplegangers. I honestly think it'd be more interesting if Darkseid was stripped of his multiverse presence as a punishment for all the things he's done. I think it'd be cool if he worked with Trigon and crossed the Presence and got on his bad side and at end the Presence reduced Darkseid and the other New Gods to the same level as gods like Zeus and so forth and by the end Darkseid woke up to find himself and the other new gods severely reduced in power and discovered there was now a Darkseid in every universe.
    I feel it distinguishes them further from DC divinities in that we know the Old Gods have always moved between verses and are multi-dimensional beings. The New Gods having dopplegangers makes them more similar to the 3-dimensional heroes and villains.

But that assumes there is any holistic thought going on in general aside from the previous regimes fixation on the New Gods.I

At this point I just appreciate their being used. The current PTB and indeed a large segment of random have a very blaise view of the Gods in general so in many ways it is like What's The Difference
    Last edited by Stanlos; 10-16-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Astonishing Member

So hold on...if there is only one Darkseid, then how does it work, chronologically speaking?

Did Darkseid first fight the Silver Age Superman back in the 70's, then the Post-Crisis Superman and then later the New 52 Superman during the first arc of the rebooted JL?

And how does this apply to the DCAU and other adaptations who are also technically other earths in the Multiverse?

Since the Multiverse itself has been destroyed and reborn over and over, do the different Multiverses have different Darkseids?