Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I...don't think that's quite how that works .

The newspaper article on-set seems way more explicit in indicating Superman actually exists.
    I wouldn't hold much stock for what's written in a newspaper we'll never read. It's most likely an easter egg for the eagle eyed. It's a prop, they needed a newspaper, not everything on it is going to be relevant.

I'm just skeptical about this actually meaning anything. I mean I'm not against it, as long as the movie is good I'm happy, and so far everything looks great. But I just need more than that to buy into the possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I wouldn't hold much stock for what's written in a newspaper we'll never read. It's most likely an easter egg for the eagle eyed. It's a prop, they needed a newspaper, not everything on it is going to be relevant.

I'm just skeptical about this actually meaning anything. I mean I'm not against it, as long as the movie is good I'm happy, and so far everything looks great. But I just need more than that to buy into the possibility.
    I doubt we'll likely see Supes on the big screen for a bit with the show and all, doesn't mean he can't exist in this world. I sincerely doubt they put anything in big blockbuster movies like this without a reason, absolutely impossible to think so. They got someone to write that, with it's contents for a reason. So yeah, they can make allusions to him existing in this world and just leave it at that, no real need to get any deeper. Looking at Matt Reeves tweet posted in this thread, this is still set in a DC Universe of sorts. I don't think it's going to be bathed and super realism like the Nolan movies.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I mean...they made it for the movie. Even if we won't see it, there wasn't a real-world copy of the Gotham Gazette for them to stuff in the stands, they wrote and printed a paper themselves in accordance with the vision of the director, and it says "hey, to clarify, Superman is in fact real in this world". Of course it doesn't mean he's going to actually show up in it and that it's anything other than a bit of worldbuilding texture, but it's still a clear expression of author's intent.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I doubt we'll likely see Supes on the big screen for a bit with the show and all, doesn't mean he can't exist in this world.
    I didn't say he can't exist, merely that I don't think he will. Especially as this doesn't constitute strong evidence.

I sincerely doubt they put anything in big blockbuster movies like this without a reason, absolutely impossible to think so.
    You'd be wrong and it shouldn't be impossible to think so - because they actually do it a lot. After behind the scenes featurettes became common on DVD I watched a butt load of them, and still do. Sometimes little easter eggs and nods and things are there that only fans will notice or maybe only the people on set will see in enough detail to make out are done. Something like a newspaper, you can't use a real world one, so one needs to be made for an actor to hold and you see it for a brief second. Sometimes a headline is important. But the entire page doesn't matter what it says as long as it looks like a newspaper on screen. The prop people could have had free reign to fill up the article space for it and had some good fun doing it.

Not every thing on every prop matters to the movie. There's plenty of stuff that gets added in as a wink to the fans, like the Amazing Screw-on Head's head on an artifact counter in the first Hellboy movie. The prop guys knew some would see it and get it, but obviously there was never an intent to include the character in the movie.

I'm not saying that it can't or won't happen, I'm just saying that nobody should consider it a confirmation. It's lines on a prop most may never notice. Without knowing the significance of this particular paper to the film, it could be nothing more than a sly wink.

Again, not saying it is, just stating we don't know and it seems like some are taking it as fact or proof when it's not (at least not yet).

They got someone to write that, with it's contents for a reason.
    And that reason could just be they needed an issue of the Gotham Gazette for someone to hold and it didn't matter much what it said as long as it passed quick glance muster. And prop people, often being nerds like us, had fun with it. It might not, but honest to God it happens in movies. The Necronomicon in the Evil Dead movies (one of them) has an artistically demonic portrait hiding the instructions to Wash Your Hands. That's a page from the most important prop in whichever movie in the series it was. But because it was never meant to be seen unless you pause every frame in the movie, it's there (have to rewatch the special features of my Evil Dead 1/2/Army of Darkness DVDs to find out which movie). This could be the same deal, something that just needs to work on screen without pausing the frame to look at it.

So yeah, they can make allusions to him existing in this world and just leave it at that, no real need to get any deeper. Looking at Matt Reeves tweet posted in this thread, this is still set in a DC Universe of sorts. I don't think it's going to be bathed and super realism like the Nolan movies.
    It might be, it might not be. We won't know until we see it. I'm honestly not arguing one way or the other. I'm saying that this newspaper prop shouldn't be what we use to get our hopes up or down one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I mean...they made it for the movie. Even if we won't see it, there wasn't a real-world copy of the Gotham Gazette for them to stuff in the stands, they wrote and printed a paper themselves in accordance with the vision of the director, and it says "hey, to clarify, Superman is in fact real in this world". Of course it doesn't mean he's going to actually show up in it and that it's anything other than a bit of worldbuilding texture, but it's still a clear expression of author's intent.
    But we don't know how much the printed word on the page actually represents the vision of the director though. The possibility that he asked for a Gotham Gazette newspaper, didn't get specific on what stories should be on it, saw what the prop guys wrote, had a chuckle and okayed it isn't in the realm of impossibility here.

It could be as you say, meant to hint that Superman does exist in this movie off screen. I'd love that actually. But it's not enough to make that assumption for me. It's not on the level of George Clooney saying "And this is why Superman works alone," in Batman and Robin. It could be a fun easter egg that says, "We know you read comics, we're fans of this stuff too."

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

This seems the kind of thing that wasn't in the script and higher ups asked to add just because.

If this ends up in the the movie, the first thing regular people will probably think is "oh, Superman exists in this world!"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They may just be testing the water right now, planting the seeds in case they want to go in that direction. But it isn't the main priority and this will be a stand alone film series first and foremost before worrying about crossovers. I think they would similarly need to get a Superman direction right before making a crossover explicit.

Astonishing Member

Its interesting to think that while many of us balk at the idea of Superman existing in the hyper-realistic world of Matt Reeves' Batman, Year One, the comic that has inspired virtually all 'realistic' takes on Batman includes a clear unambiguous reference to Superman.

But we don't know how much the printed word on the page actually represents the vision of the director though. The possibility that he asked for a Gotham Gazette newspaper, didn't get specific on what stories should be on it, saw what the prop guys wrote, had a chuckle and okayed it isn't in the realm of impossibility here.

It could be as you say, meant to hint that Superman does exist in this movie off screen. I'd love that actually. But it's not enough to make that assumption for me. It's not on the level of George Clooney saying "And this is why Superman works alone," in Batman and Robin. It could be a fun easter egg that says, "We know you read comics, we're fans of this stuff too."
    Him okaying it would be definitive in and of itself in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Its interesting to think that while many of us balk at the idea of Superman existing in the hyper-realistic world of Matt Reeves' Batman, Year One, the comic that has inspired virtually all 'realistic' takes on Batman includes a clear unambiguous reference to Superman.
    I think they directly referred to Superman in Dark Victory (the sequel to Long Halloween) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Along with that Gazette article making it clear he's real and not an in-universe fictional character, we got trunks, and we got a friend:

Genuinely love the implication - even if an implication is almost certainly all it will remain - that the gritty, tormented Pattinson Batman wears heavy plate armoring and works 'realistically' low-tech, while the Reevesverse Superman and Wonder Woman are just regular-ass comics Superman and Wonder Woman off having adventures in their own corners of the world.

(Which, to editorialize further, makes infinitely more sense than the DCEU having an incredibly toned-down 'realistic' Superman while Batman gets the regular Batman costume and used to hang out with a pantsless Robin. If you're doing the dichotomy, have the fantastical characters be the fantastical ones!)
    Nice to see unlike Bats, Clark and Diana take Covid pre-cautions seriously.

Apparently there was also a Flash logo seen on set.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Apparently there was also a Flash logo seen on set.
    It's starting to sound more and more like this is a complete DCU. I kind of suspected when this movie was announced if this wasn't meant to be some backdoor replacement for the DCEU should that not work out.
    Assassinate Putin!

This is neat and everything, but I hope they don't pull a BvS and say Gotham and Metropolis are on opposite sides of a river between them or some twin city thing. That's too weird for me, should be the distance of at least a state or 2 apart.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    This is neat and everything, but I hope they don't pull a BvS and say Gotham and Metropolis are on opposite sides of a river between them or some twin city thing. That's too weird for me, should be the distance of at least a state or 2 apart.
    The mental image of Clark waking up in the morning, drawing back the curtains and the first thing he sees is gloomy shithole Gotham City across the river is pretty amusing though

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    If this ends up in the the movie, the first thing regular people will probably think is "oh, Superman exists in this world!"
    Kind of depends on how it's played. If it's treated as a joke or gag it might trigger the opposite thought.
    Him okaying it would be definitive in and of itself in my opinion.
    I don't think so. It really depends on how important the piece is, if it's something that you even notice without it being pointed out to you.

Why is everyone so ready to jump on this as some big Superman confirmation? There's no sense of "Could be nothing/an easter egg" here.
    Maybe we're just desperate for another Superman and need to hold on to any hope?