Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    There has been new latino/Hispanic characters created after them.
    In fact there has been alot.
    Here some examples.
    Miles morales(spiderman),sam alexander(nova),ava ayala(white tiger),synapse,joaquin torres(falcon),ghost rider robbie reyes,goldballs,red locust/the locust etc..
    I forgot about Miles but the rest are hardly iconic characters.

They have adopted latino/hispanic culture so they are latino but original not.
    When Logan adopted Japanese culture in the 's80-'90s, did that make him Asian?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I was replying to say many more have been created since america for example,iconic or not.

I am not going get into this to much but it is too late to put the milk back in the bottle because those characters are and are known to be latino from the beginning in comics.
    They even have a latino actress that maybe playing chavez.
    Officially those characters are latino in the marvel universe.
    A universe keep in mind that is different then ours.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-19-2020 at 04:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Robbie Reyes, Sam Alexander, and I would argue Joaquin Torres are as iconic as the example you used of Victor Mancha. Only America Chavez is more iconic, but I'd say less so than Miles Morales.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Fuertonans don't have mestizos. Marvel is so badly in need of iconic Latinx characters that two of the last Hispanic characters they created, America and Victor Mancha, aren't even Hispanic.
    I still think the writers based Fuertona's culture off Latino countries. It's like an Avatar situation.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

No, but the most iconic are. That said, America is not black. These people are nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I've never thought of MAC as a Black Latina. She definitely wasn't depicted as such in her first appearances in Vengeance.

Not that I'd object to her being Black, I just don't think she's established as such.
    Yeah I remember that issue...never really saw her as black but itd be cool if she wasplayed by a black person.
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Robbie Reyes, Sam Alexander, and I would argue Joaquin Torres are as iconic as the example you used of Victor Mancha. Only America Chavez is more iconic, but I'd say less so than Miles Morales.
    White tiger Ava Ayala is even more known then Victor Mancha and is around the same level of chavez of being known when comes other media,maybe abit more for the moment.
    Folks forget she was in one spiderman animated series for a number of years.

In comics Chavez is more known however and has more appearances.

This actress could be playing White tiger Ava Ayala instead,but less likely.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-19-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Sunspot is drawn to look black or brown depending on the art so some folks are confused alot of times on what he suppose to be racially in comics but he looked black originally.

Maybe his character's race was change to be a brown latino.
    IF he is consistently looking brown these days then looking black then that has to be the case and it was done more quietly to not upset certain fans on the race change.

So some fans thinking he is black but he is not, while certain readers or new readers or those just looking at his more recent art thinking he is brown and have not read his original origin story.

There was change for the origin of ironman in comics for example.

THREAD: ARE ALL OF MARVEL’S LATINO CHARACTERS BLACK?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rs-Black/page3
    Edited-looking at goldballs art again and more carefully he is a brown latino,not Asiatic.

Eva alexander,sam alexander's mom is a brown latino.

Sunspot is drawn to look black or brown depending on the art so some folks are confused alot of times on what he suppose to be racially in comics but he looked black originally.

Maybe his character's race was change to be a brown latino.
    IF he is consistently looking brown these days then looking black then that has to be the case and it was done more quietly to not upset certain fans on the race change.

So some fans thinking he is black but he is not, while certain readers or new readers or those just looking at his more recent art thinking he is brown and have not read his original origin story.

There was change for the origin of ironman in comics for example.

THREAD: ARE ALL OF MARVEL’S LATINO CHARACTERS BLACK?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rs-Black/page3
    Edited-looking at goldballs art again and more carefully he is a brown latino,not Asiatic.

Eva alexander,sam alexander's mom is a brown latino.
    DaFuq can you just randomly change your race?
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    DaFuq can you just randomly change your race?
    Well wally was made black in the new52 but folks got upset and then old wally came back and they kept new wally and said they were cousins.
    Is sunspot drawn to look black or consistently black these days?
    I have not kept with how sunspot is drawn but if sunspot is drawn to look consistently racially brown these days(that's what i read in certain websites) then i guess his race was changed.
    If he still drawn consistently black then he would be black.

Like i said i read posts in certain website like comicvine etc.. of folks thinking he is not black because all they see in comics consistently is a brown race looking sunspot and if you bring up that he is black your views get dismissed because to them he is not black because they mostly or never seen him drawn has black.
    It looks like sunspot being drawn brown has happen for awhile or a long time now for them to think he is not black.

I wonder what marvel has to say officially about what race he really is.
    Keep in mind that marvel like dc soft reboots,retcons etc..

Here is a link talking about the whitewashing of sunspot over the years.
    We Need To Talk About The Whitewashing Of Sunspot
    Yet Marvel recently announced USAvengers by Ewing and Medina, and released a design sheet of Roberto looking similarly whitewashed. This isn't just a mistake, this is something Marvel has signed off on.

Read More: We Need To Talk About The Whitewashing Of Sunspot | https://comicsalliance.com/sunspot-n...edium=referral

Note- what has happen to sunspot is not whitewashing,it's brown washing by the way since he drawn to look brown not white in the examples shown in the link above.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-22-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Anyway when it comes to native americans most at dc and marvel are racially asiatic looking and not racially brown looking i looking.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...aracters-Black
    Edited-
    I am changing my answer/view from above.
    Looking back on this and recently looking at the art carefully and looking at some more art i am not clear if most native americans at marvel and dc are Asiatic or brown or most are drawn asiatic or most are drawn brown looking.

The art is not as consistent as it should be for some as well.
    It could go either way i think because there is large enough number not drawn to look asiatic.
    I thought about this before but i forgot about this until recently.

I need to think about it some more and look at more art.

In real life most are asiatic looking/asiatic however.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-26-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.

LATINO & HISPANIC Marvel Characters Appreciation
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation/page27

Asian marvel characters appreciation
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation/page43

By the way the latino and asian appreciation threads were close awhile ago but i guest no one has enough interest in starting new ones again like what has been done at the dc forum.
    There is never been a native american appreciation thread as well in the marvel forum like the current dc forum.

Well wally was made black in the new52 but folks got upset and then old wally came back and they kept new wally and said they were cousins.
    Is sunspot drawn to look black or consistently black these days?
    I have not kept with how sunspot is drawn but if sunspot is drawn to look consistently racially brown these days(that's what i read in certain websites) then i guess his race was changed.
    If he still drawn consistently black then he would be black.

Like i said i read posts in certain website like comicvine etc.. of folks thinking he is not black because all they see in comics consistently is a brown race looking sunspot and if you bring up that he is black your views get dismissed because to them he is not black because they mostly or never seen him drawn has black.
    It looks like sunspot being drawn brown has happen for awhile or a long time now for them to think he is not black.

I wonder what marvel has to say officially about what race he really is.
    Keep in mind that marvel like dc soft reboots,retcons etc..

Here is a link talking about the whitewashing of sunspot over the years.
    We Need To Talk About The Whitewashing Of Sunspot

Read More: We Need To Talk About The Whitewashing Of Sunspot | https://comicsalliance.com/sunspot-n...edium=referral

Note- what has happen to sunspot is not whitewashing,it's brown washing by the way since he drawn to look brown not white in the examples shown in the link above.
    I mean he's still canonically black
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Sunspot and Cecilia are unquestionably black, which is why their was controversy over the casting. Literally Sunspot's very first appearance has a racist bully in Brazil taunting him and calling him subhuman for having a black father. America is murkier. I recall Marvel.com did list her once in an article about black heroes, but I have no idea if this as ever presented textually in a comic.
    Reyes is dark... but not DARK in her first appearance, so it's ambiguous... but most probably she's supposed to be a Mestizo. IE more Native American than Spanish.

Another weird one is the St. Croix family. At some point they started drawing Monet's father to look black, but in the original stuff he wasn't, and Monet's Grandfather on her Father's side is DEFINITELY a white guy, since he's a wealthy businessman from Monaco.

But... canonically Monet's descended from "an Algerian princess"... who was drawn to look like a Berber. Which are kinda like Algeria's version of Native Americans.

Extraordinary Member

There are 3 races of berbers by the way.
    Black
    Brown
    White

Of course the culture is african as well.