Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Okay first of all, we have no idea if Xochitl Gomez has even been cast as America Chavez. The role is undisclosed, but sure it's likely that's who she's playing.

Second, when has America ever been considered black? I really do not recall her ever being referred to as such. Never knew her as Afro-Latino.

Third, this is the same Twitter people that got mad about Hallie Steinfeld allegedly being considered for Kate Bishop because "Kate is Asian", even though that's never been true, it's kinda racist to just call her Asian without specifying her nationality or ethnicity, and Steinfeld is part Filipina.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Okay first of all, we have no idea if Xochitl Gomez has even been cast as America Chavez. The role is undisclosed, but sure it's likely that's who she's playing.

Second, when has America ever been considered black? I really do not recall her ever being referred to as such. Never knew her as Afro-Latino.

Third, this is the same Twitter people that got mad about Hallie Steinfeld allegedly being considered for Kate Bishop because "Kate is Asian", even though that's never been true, it's kinda racist to just call her Asian without specifying her nationality or ethnicity, and Steinfeld is part Filipina.
    Exactly this.

I never knew Ms America was black and she's never been referred to as black. As far as I know.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly this.

I never knew Ms America was black and she's never been referred to as black. As far as I know.
    Gabby Riveria's origin story in America #7 was that she was born to two women with Latina features probably Puerto Rican like Riveria herself. If it's different in the cartoons, I don't know.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

There is no such thing as latina features since latinas come in all races.

Astonishing Member

So where did the myth that she's black come from?

Edit: looking at the covers of her series, I can understand why there is confusion on whether she's black or not.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 10-17-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Gabby Riveria's origin story in America #7 was that she was born to two women with Latina features probably Puerto Rican like Riveria herself. If it's different in the cartoons, I don't know.
    She’s Fuertonan, an alien that LOOKS human.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Astonishing Member

I know she's Latina but I always thought she was also black.

I've never thought of MAC as a Black Latina. She definitely wasn't depicted as such in her first appearances in Vengeance.

Not that I'd object to her being Black, I just don't think she's established as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

I was just going based off the twitter mob, which was my first mistake lol. I always saw America as a Brown Latina and that is what she calls herself in the comics so I don’t know where all those complaints and claims of her being Afro Latina came from. Now Cecilia and Sunspot are definitely Afro Latinos.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    So where did the myth that she's black come from?

Edit: looking at the covers of her series, I can understand why there is confusion on whether she's black or not.
    Where all bad takes come from.

"Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I was just going based off the twitter mob, which was my first mistake lol. I always saw America as a Brown Latina and that is what she calls herself in the comics so I don’t know where all those complaints and claims of her being Afro Latina came from. Now Cecilia and Sunspot are definitely Afro Latinos.
    That's the problem with the Latino moniker. It's too broad and too vague. Also America looks like many Puerto Ricans that describe themselves as being from the three races(wht/blk/amerindian). And so does Sunspot.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    America is black.

No she isn't. None of her moms are black

She's mestizo
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    No she isn't. None of her moms are black

She's mestizo
    Fuertonans don't have mestizos. Marvel is so badly in need of iconic Latinx characters that two of the last Hispanic characters they created, America and Victor Mancha, aren't even Hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Fuertonans don't have mestizos. Marvel is so badly in need of iconic Latinx characters that two of the last Hispanic characters they created, America and Victor Mancha, aren't even Hispanic.
    They have but they don't use them.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Marvel is so badly in need of iconic Latinx characters that two of the last Hispanic characters they created.
    There has been new latino/Hispanic characters created after them.
    In fact there has been alot.
    Here some examples.
    Miles morales(spiderman),sam alexander(nova),ava ayala(white tiger),synapse,joaquin torres(falcon),ghost rider robbie reyes,goldballs,red locust/the locust etc..

America and Victor Mancha, aren't even Hispanic.
    They have adopted latino/hispanic culture so they are latino but original not.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-18-2020 at 10:50 AM.