Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Are all of Marvel’s Latino characters Black?

So with the recent casting of a Mexican descended actress as presumably America Chavez in Doctor Strnage 2, a whole Twitter storm erupted. Some said America Chavez is a Black Latina and shouldn’t be played by a “White Latina” (note the actress cast is not White but Native/Mestiza... she has an Aztec name for crying out loud). Things got ugly pretty quick but that got me thinking, are the majority of Marvels Latino characters Black?

Miles Morales, America Chavez, Cecilia Reyes, Sunspot...etc all apparently are but are there any Natuve/Meztixo Latinos at Marvel (the majority of Latin Americans belong to this race)?

Over at DC the majority of their Latino characters seem to be Native/Mestizo (Blue Beetle, Jessica Cruz, Black Condor, El Diablo, El Dorado, Aztek...etc), while at Marvel the majority seem to be Black or at let’s the more high profile ones are... Is that an accurate statement?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

White Tiger (Hector and Ava Ayala)
    Miguel Santos (LIVING LIGHTNING)
    Julio Richter (Rictor)
    Toro (Thomas Raymond)
    Anya Corazon (Arana/Spider-girl)

Not black.
    "Cable was right!"

Also:
    America Chavez
    Miguel O'Hara
    Tarantula(all versions).

America is black.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Falcon (Joaquin Torres)
    Nova (Sam Alexander)
    Ghost Riders (Ajehandra Jones and Robbie Reyes)

Astonishing Member

Hispanics are very under represented in Marvel Comics. There are more Native Americans in the MU than Hispanics.

technically she's an alien

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Hispanics are very under represented in Marvel Comics. There are more Native Americans in the MU than Hispanics.
    This is not true by the way.
    Anyway the poc latinos are not underrepresented but the white latinos are.
    In real life most latinos are classified as white in the u.s.a. so if you want more latino representation,which ones?
    So be careful what you wish for because you might just get it,and then some folks would be complaining why there are so many white latinos.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-16-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    technically she's an alien
    She’s literally not any human ethnicity and has been depicted differently by different artists/colorists. It’s like arguing whether Clark Kent is English or German when he’s from Krypton. America adopted Puerto Rican culture.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Extraordinary Member

America chavez is brown not black.
    White Tiger (Ava Ayala) is brown,not black.
    Echo showing up in mcu is either brown or asiatic,hard for me say because i have not seen enough of the art.
    Ghost rider robbie reyes is brown and yo-yo.
    Goldballs is brown.
    Sam Alexander(nova) is brown.
    Synapse is brown.
    Joaquin Torres, Firebird, Hummingbird,Victorious,Reptil and shark girl are brown.

Rictor is either white or brown.
    In the logan movie he was a poc however but not black.

Molly Hernandez in the marvel live action show the runaways is brown.
    Salma hayek in the upcoming eternals film is brown.
    Flash thompson in the mcu is brown and the actor that is suppose to be scorpion as well.
    Luis in ant man is brown.
    Sunspot and Cecilia in the fox marvel new mutants film are brown.
    Sunspot in the past x-men film was played by a white latino actor however.

Adria Arjona in the upcoming sony marvel film Morbius is brown.
    She will be in upcoming Untitled Star Wars/Cassian Andor Series by the way.
    Untitled Star Wars/Cassian Andor Series
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9253284/
    Last edited by mace11; 10-22-2020 at 06:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

From what i could tell by the way marvel has more diversity of races of latinos then dc.
    Most latinos in dc and marvel are brown racially from what i could see but marvel as more black and white looking ones and more asiatic looking ones too.
    Marvel has more that are only part latino then dc as well.
    For example some of top famous ones in marvel like sam and miles are half latino,while at dc i have not seen any that are half or even top ones so far.

Edited-
    Anyway when it comes to native americans most at dc and marvel are racially asiatic looking and not racially brown looking i looking.
    I could be wrong however since i am not too clear on this yet and i need to look at more art to get more of clear answer.
    In real life most are asiatic however.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-22-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    This is not true by the way.
    Anyway the poc latinos are not underrepresent but the white latinos are.
    In real life most latinos are classified as white in u.s.a. so if you want more latino representation,which ones?
    So be careful what you wish for because you might just get it,and then some folks would be complaining why there are so many white latinos.
    What's a poc?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    What's a poc?
    short for person of color.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    So with the recent casting of a Mexican descended actress as presumably America Chavez in Doctor Strnage 2, a whole Twitter storm erupted. Some said America Chavez is a Black Latina and shouldn’t be played by a “White Latina” (note the actress cast is not White but Native/Mestiza... she has an Aztec name for crying out loud).
    I read some of the recent comments in youtube and other places as well.
    This was posted some where else.
    She clearly is not white however and the actors that played sunspot and the cecilia are not white either but they were brown washed,not white washed.
    They do look near white however but this actress playing chavez does not look near white and she looks asiatic(native american/asian) and not brown like America chavez in comics.
    In comics chavez looks racially brown and not asiatic.
    Like i said in the dc thread if they can't get a brown looking actress to play jessica cruz in the upcoming green lantern hbo max show or a brown looking race type to play america chavez i would rather they get a asiatic looking native american or latino for that role then a white latino actress.
    Last edited by mace11; 10-16-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Sunspot and Cecilia are unquestionably black, which is why their was controversy over the casting. Literally Sunspot's very first appearance has a racist bully in Brazil taunting him and calling him subhuman for having a black father. America is murkier. I recall Marvel.com did list her once in an article about black heroes, but I have no idea if this as ever presented textually in a comic.