Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean it's all kind of relative. As much as people want to project Quesada as being the "Final Boss" to getting the Spider-Marriage back, I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes there are more heads to the hydra than people are willing to admit lol

Kevin Feige is steering the ship now, but it was also under him that MCU Peter was made even younger than the previous two adaptations so who's to say he'll turn out to be a proponent of Peter being grown and married in the comics?
    I actually see change coming. For example: My single biggest complaint ( and I have had more then a few over the years) was Peter being disrespected. Compared to Charlie Brown ( a loser) by Slott, treated as a kid (Avengers MCU) ot comedy relief ( Avengers Comic). With Miles entering the MCU there is even less of a need for Peter to be a teenager. Peter does not need to be Tony Stark’s Robin, not to mention the fact that Peter is smarter then most members of The Avengers. Think about it how many heroes are smarter then Peter?ichards Hank Pym, Bruce Banner and Tony Stark that is about it. Time for Miles to be the Kid
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 10-19-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Spider-tracers are Ditko, from as early as ASM #11!
    Damn, why did I think SPider-Tracers were from post Ditko? So early too...

I think that was why Dan Slott went all in on the new tech angle cause he really hadn't made anything permanent in almost 50 years.
    Too bad nothing he made stuck, even in his own run where Spidey went back to his usual gear, always lol.

I mean it's all kind of relative. As much as people want to project Quesada as being the "Final Boss" to getting the Spider-Marriage back, I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes there are more heads to the hydra than people are willing to admit lol
    Oh it's definitely not just Quesada, Marvel has been trying to get rid of the marriage since before he was around, Clone Saga being an easy example (Since there were plans to either make MJ divorce Peter, or have Ben replacing him), and that one time they tried to kill MJ in a plane trip, Quesada is only more noticeable because his attempt is the one that stuck for so long.

Kevin Feige is steering the ship now, but it was also under him that MCU Peter was made even younger than the previous two adaptations so who's to say he'll turn out to be a proponent of Peter being grown and married in the comics?
    Huh, wasn't aware of that, wonder if it was his idea to do a "Let's make Peter be 80% Miles this time around!".

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I actually see change coming. For example: My single biggest complaint ( and I have had more then a few over the years) was Peter being disrespected. Compared to Charlie Brown ( a loser) by Slott, treated as a kid (Avengers MCU) ot comedy relief ( Avengers Comic). With Miles entering the MCU there is even less of a need for Peter to be a teenager. Peter does not need to be Tony Stark’s Robin, not to mention the fact that Peter is smarter then most members of The Avengers. Think about it how many heroes are smarter then Peter?ichards Hank Pym, Bruce Banner and Tony Stark that is about it. Time for Miles to be the Kid
    I would include Beast in this list too, though he isn't an Avenger nowadays, I think... Not keeping up with the whole Krakoa thing.

Frankly I'd rather not have a story with Peter and Mephisto ever again, including one where he goes and exacts revenge on Mephisto. The guy should be out of Spider-Man's league and I don't really want Peter assembling some kind of mystical Avengers to lead.

For me its about MJ and Peter knowing. Thats it. Let writers play with that. Married or not, I don't care, but if they know about the deal then that take its power away in my book.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

iMan 42s

He's even younger because we haven't seen a school age Peter on film for very long. Briefly in the other two series but Peter is in college midway through the first film and Peter's graduated by the opening of ASM2. It also helps that an actor can age with the roll which (and lets be real here) neither Raimi or Webb versions look anything like a teenager and Holland has a babyface and is significantly younger than the former. It also means he occupies a roll which for at the time was a majority of adults meaning he had a particular niche.

I would agree that Spider-man not being married probably has more people behind it than Quesada though he was really the big one and as far as we know the reason this even happened.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I don't know if I expect it to get reversed, but I do expect it to be addressed finally. Like I said in the Nick Spencer interview thread- I really think the big sin Peter doesn't remember that Kindred refers to is the deal with Mephisto in OMD. There's been too many hints and nudges to the effect in this run for it not to be somehow related to Peter finally being confronted with that choice he made there. Given what Nick Spencer says in this interview, I think it's not too far fetched at all and especially so because much like with the Kindred identity mystery- he gave us the clues and played it pretty straight from there.

Plus with the solicitations for the last chapters of Last Remains, it mentions how it will change the way we see Peter and Spider-Man- if he's forced to remember what's been buried and realize what he did I can see that being pretty devastating to him in terms of what he's supposed to represent. That really would be one of the worst things Harry could throw at Peter, because it really highlights the hypocrisy as he says he wants to show Peter. Harry is protective of MJ and the fact that Peter gave her love away, literally to the devil, I could see that pissing him off. I think the thing will be that Peter has to reassess who he is, because Nick Spencer said how he's surprised how things seem to get pushed under the rug despite being about responsibility. We saw a little bit of that in the very first issue in fact with using Otto's work coming to bite Peter in the butt finally.
    But is it really Peter's sin? Not MJ's? I mean he didn't really want it did he? She convinced him to do it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That was never really an option. Because numerically and empirically speaking, fans of the marriage are bigger and greater than the reverse.

The Spider-Marriage was the biggest comic event of the '80s in terms of a comics event pertaining to comics versions of the characters (newspaper and main continuity) becoming national news. That was the first time it happened, the second time being The Death of Superman. Something that made such a big real world impact can't simply be done away with. It was historic. The only other events that made headlines like that was CIVIL WAR with the unmasking and Miles Morales' debut, and even those two weren't as big.

So the marriage can never entirely go away. Nor can the continuity move forward from it in any sense. Mary Jane is the second biggest character in Spider-Man in terms of appearances, she's the co-protagonist of the continuity, so she can't be done away with. She's so popular that no other love interest will come close. So there's not much of any sense in pretending otherwise.
    I agree with this.

To me there is no way i can stop clamoring for the return of them as husband and wife, as much as i would have love for Marvel to give my number two spidey ship (Peter and Felicia) a chance i have to go to my number one.

I may sound very old school, but Peter and MJ always stood out to me of all the Marvel couples, more than Sue and Reed or Summers and Grey, those two were my favorites just as they were Stan's. And it genuinely hurts that Marvel won't give them back, i don't care how they do it, or whether they make them exchange vows or not but i want them back.

The only thing i would truly worry about should Nick be allowed to write their return is the issue with their unborn child, that is one major concern i would have.

Just remarry them and call it a day. Too many stories Gve happened post event for them to just undo all the story.

Incredible Member

I'd like to see two things

#1. Obviously have Peter remember the deal

#2. Hammer home the point that it is without question idiotic and unacceptable to make a deal with Mephisto. They'll probably have Peter double down on the "it was my fault Aunt May was shot" to justify the deal but to me this is a good opportunity to admit he should've had to live with his mistake just as many people in real life do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    But is it really Peter's sin? Not MJ's? I mean he didn't really want it did he? She convinced him to do it right?
    He still went through with it too, it's like saying a kid standing by and not doing anything seeing a bully beating up another kid is totally innocent.

I think Spencer's handling of continuity is pretty all-encompassing where he takes the whole and doesn't try and pick and choose just to make things he wants to work, so I think if he's gonna full on address OMD it's gonna be that: addressing it and reconciling how it works with the greater whole. All those stories the last 12 years where people felt like things weren't totally true to character or things didn't feel right, that can all be given new light if Peter remembers soon and he realizes why things haven't felt right the last 12 years. It'd be interesting to see him reckon with, and given what Nick Spencer said in his recent interview it makes me think he will be tackling it because it's such an interesting question for Spider-Man who is so much about responsibility yet he was involved in this questionable decision that brushed so much under the rug and was allowed to just keep going on with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    in ASM#545, MJ tried to convince Peter to not go for it, then he talked about how horrible he'd feel at letting her die like that, then, when Mephisto came, MJ was the first to go for it, while he had doubts, but then she told him to go for it to save May.

Mephisto also specifically says they both have to accept it, so yeah, both of them are at fault, in a very dumb way, they both convinced each other to go for it.

He still went through with it too, it's like saying a kid standing by and not doing anything seeing a bully beating up another kid is totally innocent.
    I mean, that example doesn't work, 'cause Peter still did it, so it's like saying one kid is more innocent than the other because he only punched the victim 59 times while the other punched 60 lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-30-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    in ASM#545, MJ tried to convince Peter to not go for it, then he talked about how horrible he'd feel at letting her die like that, then, when Mephisto came, MJ was the first to go for it, while he had doubts, but then she told him to go for it to save May.

Mephisto also specifically says they both have to accept it, so yeah, both of them are at fault, in a very dumb way, they both convinced each other to go for it.

I mean, that example doesn't work, 'cause Peter still did it, so it's like saying one kid is more innocent than the other because he only punched the victim 59 times while the other punched 60 lol.
    Yeah, I mean end of the day the bottom line is Peter went through on a deal with Mephisto and it's still dumb 13 years later.

I remember the last Sensational issue right before OMD Peter has a conversation with May's soul or something and she tells him she's fine and it's okay if she dies cause she lived a full life and she's proud of him. That felt like Aguire-Sacasa rebuking what he knew was right around the corner the next 2 months and it feels more like what Aunt May would actually want. Also makes me think of how good the PS4 game's ending was letting Aunt May pass and have it be on her own terms even with Peter being given the choice to save her (similar to OMD but there's other lives on the line).

Yeah, I mean end of the day the bottom line is Peter went through on a deal with Mephisto and it's still dumb 13 years later.

I remember the last Sensational issue right before OMD Peter has a conversation with May's soul or something and she tells him she's fine and it's okay if she dies cause she lived a full life and she's proud of him. That felt like Aguire-Sacasa rebuking what he knew was right around the corner the next 2 months and it feels more like what Aunt May would actually want. Also makes me think of how good the PS4 game's ending was letting Aunt May pass and have it be on her own terms even with Peter being given the choice to save her (similar to OMD but there's other lives on the line).
    Sensational issues right before OMD were surprisingly optmistic considering what was coming, there's the Sensational Annual one which can give you diabetes with how much the plot is basically "I love Peter/I love MJ".

The issue you mentioned is Sensational#39, there's also #40 where The One Above All shows up, tells Peter that him being Spidey saved at least thousands of people (Including team ups apparently lol), and Peter in the end talks about how he'll stay with MJ and grow old with her.

So again, surprisingly optmistic about their future, even if they talk like aunt May is gonna die, then, y'know, OMD happened, kinda funny Sensational issues made OMD look even worse, and it's a shitstorm by default lol.

And yeah, PS4 Spidey has a nice ending, I don't really like that it did the classic "Oh I'm dying, so I'll reveal to you that I knew your secret identity all along", don't like that trope... But it was a nice scene.

I actually didn't even think she was gonna die, thought Peter was crying because he didn't want her to keep suffering, then when that beep played, my reaction was basically "What. They killed her. What." lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Sensational issues right before OMD were surprisingly optmistic considering what was coming, there's the Sensational Annual one which can give you diabetes with how much the plot is basically "I love Peter/I love MJ".
    Matt Fraction wrote the annual as a pre-emptive protest to OMD which he knew was coming:

"It was sort of dirty pool because I knew One More Day was coming. But I took the shot and it was great. I don’t know if Peter Parker was the best marvel character to be married, and I understand both sides of the argument. When his marriage with MJ worked, it worked very well, but sometimes it seemed like people didn’t know what to do with MJ. Way too often MJ would be relegated to hostage or obstacle. Too seldom did she play the role of supporter, friend or nurturer. I thought it was possible to do all of that, and maybe it’s a cheap shot, but I took it."

Every time I see that old woman in a panel I feel like slapping her across the face with those damn wheat cakes.

Shes the reason that my boy is single....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Every time I see that old woman in a panel I feel like slapping her across the face with those damn wheat cakes.

Shes the reason that my boy is single....
    Yes, that’s clearly all her fault, and we should hate her for that.

/s